Registered Shopper
The latest promotion is called drop the lot

Pentax camera
Samsung phone
Ingersoll watch
Garmin sat nav

All going for £1 during Peter Simon's shift

Last edited:
What about the vile Rosa Benini bag he's flogging now. Don't know how he's keeping a straight face selling that load of old tat. Who is Rosa Benini anyway. Gianni Versace' s long lost cousin

What about the vile Rosa Benini bag he's flogging now. Don't know how he's keeping a straight face selling that load of old tat. Who is Rosa Benini anyway. Gianni Versace' s long lost cousin

I've no idea who she is but they have been selling them for at least 6 years, My mum got some and they were good quality back then

It made me laugh when they were selling the phone (toco lite) for £1. There was 7 in total & where gone almost instantly... maybe 2 seconds? do people still have to pay the cost of the phone call (premium rate) if they missed out?

It made me laugh when they were selling the phone (toco lite) for £1. There was 7 in total & where gone almost instantly... maybe 2 seconds? do people still have to pay the cost of the phone call (premium rate) if they missed out?

Yeah - it wouldn't surprise me if they still made a profit on these. The amount of times I hear them say "There are 20 of you just missed out." £30 profit for them there.

Yeah - it wouldn't surprise me if they still made a profit on these. The amount of times I hear them say "There are 20 of you just missed out." £30 profit for them there.

Yeh I was thinking if this feature proves successful tonight & they are making thousands of pounds off each item then it may be a feature they do often, I actually think it would work well as with them late night call in.. guess the answer shows such as the Mint (that Brian Dowling did) they made their money from people phoning up and not being lucky enough to get through as only one person at a time could. Its a proven format as the mint show actually gave away £100,000 prize once.
Its not something I would like to see but I bet it would make them a fortune.

This is pretty naughty, in my opinion. I wonder how many people understand they'll be charged £1.53 just for trying to buy something. I know the call cost is on the screen and people should read it and realise, but do they?

They do put them on the website too, I think they were web buyers as the random phone number was unlikely to have been guessed by people, called up and pressed 1 before the 3 sold

Watch when they sell the camera how quick they go, I can't see anyone on the phone getting through before they sell out it was about 5 seconds for the ingersoll watch from the lines being opened

Last edited:
I was going to try get one via the website (the phone) but the option never came up to bid, all the other auctions (normal ones) were fine.

This is pretty naughty, in my opinion. I wonder how many people understand they'll be charged £1.53 just for trying to buy something. I know the call cost is on the screen and people should read it and realise, but do they?

Some people won't but they have been given the info so it's up to them if they read it.

I was going to try get one via the website (the phone) but the option never came up to bid, all the other auctions (normal ones) were fine.

It came up for me on the page where they show the live streaming - I don't think the item is on the site like everything else, they must just add it before opening the phone lines

It came up for me on the page where they show the live streaming - I don't think the item is on the site like everything else, they must just add it before opening the phone lines

The phone did? I had the live streaming page on & was looking at the previous auctions so it definitely was working fine and on the correct page... but the mobile phone never came up on mine. Just the Get Ready header that they have inbetween auctions.

The phone did? I had the live streaming page on & was looking at the previous auctions so it definitely was working fine and on the correct page... but the mobile phone never came up on mine. Just the Get Ready header that they have inbetween auctions.

I saw the watch & camera come up, I wasen't watching when the phone was on

This should be one for trading standards because a 'promotion' like this could be construed as gambling or a lottery. It's just another revenue scam from a sleezy, crappy TV shopping network that is Bid.

Personally I think it's time the ASA initially took a view on this. I believe Sit Up should clearly display the quantity before the phone number appears so a potential customer can decide whether they feel it's worth taking a chance on calling otherwise, as Greg says, it could be considered akin to entering a Lottery (in my opinion).

I don't want to raise the issue myself but only as I have a few investigations ongoing with the ASA but it would be great if any of you good people would like to contact them, I think Greg makes a very valid point.

It would be easy to consider this nothing more than a grubby little tactic and reeks of desperation to:-

1- Grab extra phonecall income
2- Keep people interested is their miserable lineup of pathetic merchandise and appallingly untalented and mundane presenters

It's simply grim, in fact it's pathetic and has all the hallmarks of a company in terminal decline. Did anyone see Peter almost bursting at the seams with excitement because he actually had a real gold necklace? They didn't even show the piece being modelled so you could get some idea of it's actual scale, they merely had an image blew up on a massive Plasma screen and a very, very close up video clip of it on a turntable. Sure they said it was 18" long and he mumbled, once, it weighed less than a gram but only well into the sale.

It beggar's belief, literally.

Last edited:
Personally I think it's time the ASA initially took a view on this. I believe Sit Up should clearly display the quantity before the phone number appears so a potential customer can decide whether they feel it's worth taking a chance on calling otherwise, as Greg says, it could be considered akin to entering a Lottery (in my opinion).

I don't want to raise the issue myself but only as I have a few investigations ongoing with the ASA but it would be great if any of you good people would like to contact them, I think Greg makes a very valid point.

It would be easy to consider this nothing more than a grubby little tactic and reeks of desperation to:-

1- Grab extra phonecall income
2- Keep people interested is their miserable lineup of pathetic merchandise and appallingly untalented and mundane presenters

It's simply grim, in fact it's pathetic and has all the hallmarks of a company in terminal decline. Did anyone see Peter almost bursting at the seams with excitement because he actually had a real gold necklace? They didn't even show the piece being modelled so you could get some idea of it's actual scale, they merely had an image blew up on a massive Plasma screen and a very, very close up video clip of it on a turntable. Sure they said it was 18" long and he mumbled, once, it weighed less than a gram but only well into the sale.

It beggar's belief, literally.

Just one step away from fraud

I do agree it is pretty much gambling as your risking your hard earned cash for an item you may not win & receive. It can't really be argued that its not gambling as to be seen any different they would simply have to not charge the premium rate phone call cost to those that didn't win.
They do seem to be trying a few different sales techniques and no doubt this format will make them a lot of money, I just hope they don't keep doing it.

It would be interesting to know if they required a gambling licence for it, I think its regulated by the Gambling Commission who grant/revoke the licenses.

Could anybody 100% confirm that they did charge the premium rate phone call cost even to those that didn't win an item?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back