Glue, batteries, foodbags...what next?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Goodluckifyageddit

Registered Shopper
I remember a few years back there was a very down-market shopping channel that used to broadcast out of a tiny studio. (Can't recall the name - maybe the experts on here can). At first there was a lot of live broadcating, then it reduced to just an hour or two each day - the rest of the time it was pre-records on a loop. They used to sell a lot of the kind of tat Bid is selling now, cheap batteries, plastic razors, maybe (gasp !) a steam iron every now and then. It didn't last long.

Bid is claiming in new ads that it sold 2.25m products last year, but seeing as a lot of those products are complete rubbish, obviously the money isn't coming like it used to in order to replenish the channel with decent stock. The voucher scheme smacks of desperation to me, forcing them to offer up cheaper and cheaper items to avoid honouring the vouchers. They are painting themselves into a corner. Mason's session last night seemed to prove this, just one crappy item after another. I wonder how much further downmarket they can go...bin bags, plastic lighters, maybe?

The £10 Voucher scamming will finish this business off. Once people see they are being ripped off by these merchants they will walk away. It's a suicide policy really.

The £10 Voucher scamming will finish this business off. Once people see they are being ripped off by these merchants they will walk away. It's a suicide policy really.

There's another one starting tonight with Mikeyboy at 10pm if you buy three products!!!!!!!!

This time the £10 credit is available on anything and everything .............yes, that's a joke

Same terms and conditions apply as per

It's really, really mediocre and miserable. God bless Andy H, he is flogging the Halogen, again. Ben is selling towels, again.

Bid might be claiming they sold 2m+ items last year and personally I don't doubt they did but I also remember a while back they claimed their channels had something like a 90%+ approval rating from customers who would recommend them. That proud statistic seems to have long since bit the dust.

I see it like this. It's an absolutely breathtaking situation for a long established TV Shopping Channel Group to not allow customers to write product reviews on their own websites. You can draw your own conclusions as to why they don't allow this.

I'm not a gambling sort of guy but I fancy asking Ladbroke's if they'll take a bet on how long Sit Up will be in business. I genuinely can't see them making christmas without a major overhaul, I truly suspect they only have a handful of suppliers now.

Food Bags? It's depressing. And when the presenters seem to be getting quite excited that they have a genuine leather wallet (pure luxury eh?) it kind of gives a clue to the utterly dross merchandise they're usually used to peddling.

Last edited:
I know the presenters are paid to tell us that they love the frumpy clothes (CL probably does) and keep a smiling face whilst they sing the praises of something as mundane as wash balls and compost, but do some of 'em get paid extra for the BS they come out with? Some of them have a lot to answer for when it comes to the decline of this channel,and I don't just mean the snotty,pile ridden, flatulent entity that is Peter Simon.... Just the other day I heard Simon somebody or other talking about their bedding. He was bigging it up as their flagship product - People come back time and time for our bedding 'cause it's what we do well! Yeah, if you call a duvet cover that lasts less than a week, and duvets that are filled with the feathers and down from tortured beasts something to be proud of, then there's something wrong in the world.

I've also noticed how they almost start to hyperventilate when they get given something geniune to sell, the gold may be the size of a rolled up bogey, but it's real don't let us forget this must be worth all the extras and more!

I've also noticed how they almost start to hyperventilate when they get given something geniune to sell, the gold may be the size of a rolled up bogey, but it's real don't let us forget this must be worth all the extras and more!

Look at how much they were bigging up Pago Pago last week - again, not something for all people's tastes but it least it had a selling point in that they were offering larger sizes of clothing - and it did well for them..and you could tell how much more relaxed the presenters were selling a credible product. And it sold at decent prices...the only way this channel will survive is if they ditch the market-stall tat, get a decent product base of say 50 items to start with from reputable names and build from there. Surely it's not beyond their buyers to do this?

I pay a lot for bedding, it's something I don't mind paying for, for quality

Do Bid ever attempt to sell anything of quality these days in the bedding line, or any other line for that matter. It's all cheapo stuff that doesn't last.

It's like the mattress protecter they have for a quid. It looks so cheap and nasty, it couldn't protect itself, never mind a mattress.

Look at how much they were bigging up Pago Pago last week - again, not something for all people's tastes but it least it had a selling point in that they were offering larger sizes of clothing - and it did well for them..and you could tell how much more relaxed the presenters were selling a credible product. And it sold at decent prices...the only way this channel will survive is if they ditch the market-stall tat, get a decent product base of say 50 items to start with from reputable names and build from there. Surely it's not beyond their buyers to do this?

That's what I was trying to say at the same time as you Goodluckifyageddit. Try some decent stuff, more expensive, try it at least

That Pago Pago slot was a refreshing change to watch (I do think it's godawful though)

I know the presenters are paid to tell us that they love the frumpy clothes (CL probably does) and keep a smiling face whilst they sing the praises of something as mundane as wash balls and compost, but do some of 'em get paid extra for the BS they come out with? Some of them have a lot to answer for when it comes to the decline of this channel,and I don't just mean the snotty,pile ridden, flatulent entity that is Peter Simon.... Just the other day I heard Simon somebody or other talking about their bedding. He was bigging it up as their flagship product - People come back time and time for our bedding 'cause it's what we do well! Yeah, if you call a duvet cover that lasts less than a week, and duvets that are filled with the feathers and down from tortured beasts something to be proud of, then there's something wrong in the world.

So funny ha ha :giggle:

Yeah - it's definitely the direction they should be going in. Getting credible products and selling them at acceptable (they don't even have to be the cheapest on shopping tv) prices.

The tat and dross they flog is beyond belief. They'll bring on some low-end-budget razor, perch it in front of a battered old box and sell it for a £1 plus all the extras. It's the OPPOSITE of what they should be doing.

They're one of the few shopping sites left on the web that don't allow customer reviews. Because they know they would all be negative.

I remember a few years back there was a very down-market shopping channel that used to broadcast out of a tiny studio. (Can't recall the name - maybe the experts on here can). At first there was a lot of live broadcating, then it reduced to just an hour or two each day - the rest of the time it was pre-records on a loop. They used to sell a lot of the kind of tat Bid is selling now, cheap batteries, plastic razors, maybe (gasp !) a steam iron every now and then. It didn't last long.
I think you are thinking of Price Crash which was also known as Yes 661. At least they had a freephone number to call.
Derek Marks used to present on there as well as Mike Saint and Martin Parsons to name the better known.
They did the BOSUN range, a tatty range that never really worked...

Last edited:
Yeah - it's definitely the direction they should be going in. Getting credible products and selling them at acceptable (they don't even have to be the cheapest on shopping tv) prices.

The tat and dross they flog is beyond belief. They'll bring on some low-end-budget razor, perch it in front of a battered old box and sell it for a £1 plus all the extras. It's the OPPOSITE of what they should be doing.

They're one of the few shopping sites left on the web that don't allow customer reviews. Because they know they would all be negative.

Yeh, I think that says everyone about this network. Scummy, scammy and deserves to die, frankly. :angry:

I think you are thinking of Price Crash which was also known as Yes 661. At least they had a freephone number to call.
Derek Marks used to present on there as well as Mike Saint and Martin Parsons to name the better known.
They did the BOSUN range, a tatty range that never really worked...

That's the one...knew someone on here would remember it ! Cheap coathangers and car/leather polish used to feature quite often too IIRC.

Harpic, plastic cutlery sets, Sanitary towels, London 2012 lunchboxes, keyrings, disinfectant, Sawdust, wouldn't be suprised if any of these weren't deal of the day sometime soon!

I used to like Yes 661 and even liked David (I think that's his name) and thought he fought his corner well until that is he started saying bizarre things about Graham's sexuality and he lost me as a customer and any argument he made.

PJ.

I pay a lot for bedding, it's something I don't mind paying for, for quality

Do Bid ever attempt to sell anything of quality these days in the bedding line, or any other line for that matter. It's all cheapo stuff that doesn't last.

It's like the mattress protecter they have for a quid. It looks so cheap and nasty, it couldn't protect itself, never mind a mattress.

Momma did you hear Dirty Peter selling the protectors the other day? He recalled his illness last year (did you know he was ill last year?) and said his Soulmate Bet bought him several of them because you especially need them when you're ill because of sweat and 'other things'.

What a lovely image, mind you we all know what Pigs like rolling around in :giggle:

Last edited:
Momma did you hear Dirty Peter selling the protectors the other day? He recalled his illness last year (did you know he was ill last year?) and said his Soulmate Bet bought him several of them because you especially need them when you're ill because of sweat and 'other things'.

What a lovely image, mind you we all know what Pigs like rolling around in :giggle:

DP "Hello our Bet, is that some grapes you have in your bag to quench my terrible thirst while I'm so ill?"

OB "Grapes? I thought everybody would bring you them, I've bought you a very useful mattress protector, help with the sweat and 'stuff' while you're so very, very ill my darling"

DP "Oh fgs, I wanted grapes!"

There's another one starting tonight with Mikeyboy at 10pm if you buy three products!!!!!!!!

This time the £10 credit is available on anything and everything .............yes, that's a joke

Same terms and conditions apply as per

Remember the Dibbing one? That didn't last long

Latest posts

Back