Where to send unwanted/unused beauty items

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

BusyLizzie

Registered Shopper
I seem to remember a thread (perhaps a few years ago now) with regard to sending unwanted/unused beauty products to less fortunate women - any ideas anyone? I'm just about to start blitzing a bedroom ready for decorating and I know I'm going to come across things I don't want anymore but it seems such a shame to throw them away. Can anyone offer suggestions and point me in the right direction please? Thanks.

If you have a womens hostel or a womens refuge near you then they`d be grateful. Quite often women flee violence at a moment`s notice with nothing but the clothes they wear and the homeless hostels also have people who turn up with nothing because they`ve been living rough. At the hostel I worked in the first thing we did was provide clean clothes and toiletries and we relied heavily on people donating them. If any of the items are unopened, still sealed etc then charity shops will often sell them too.

Thanks Vienna.....I'll google the area later today and see what I can find. Some things are still sealed but I'm more than happy to take them direct to a hostel as I donate other household items to charity shops. I hate throwing anything away if it can be put to good use by someone else!

You will be able to find addresses of hostels easily but you may not find the address for a womens refuge. They don`t publicise the address for obvious reasons so violent partners cannot track down their wife or girlfriend but if you contact social services they might have a drop off point for donations. In our town it was their office. The Sally Army also welcome such donations because quite often their local ministers help out local families who have little or nothing. If you have a Sally Army Citadel nearby the phone number of their officer in charge will be in the directory or online.

^^^^ What lovely, thought FMS xxx If you have a foodbank near you BL they may take some of the toileteries too, our local one is very glad of shampoo, deodorant etc.

^^^^ What lovely, thought FMS xxx If you have a foodbank near you BL they may take some of the toileteries too, our local one is very glad of shampoo, deodorant etc.

I think that should have been thoughtful, lol!!

I think Women's Aid, Shelter etc is a great idea.

Just as an alternative, my mum in law was in hospital on a ward for Alzheimer's patients, many of them very elderly.
There was a notice up asking visitors for donations of toiletries and tights for the ladies, as many of them had no family members to provide those little luxuries.

Local police will be able to put you in touch with someone from the women's refuge, there is usually a designated officer for domestic violence.

I seem to remember a thread (perhaps a few years ago now) with regard to sending unwanted/unused beauty products to less fortunate women - any ideas anyone? I'm just about to start blitzing a bedroom ready for decorating and I know I'm going to come across things I don't want anymore but it seems such a shame to throw them away. Can anyone offer suggestions and point me in the right direction please? Thanks.
I think that Donna255 also mentioned something similar in one of the other Q threads, it didn't start like this so I wouldn't know where to find it sorry.

Well, I'm no further on with this offer of help. I am aware that there are two refuges in a nearby town but, of course, I don't expect to find details of telephone numbers or addresses for obvious reasons so I emailed our County Council almost three weeks ago for information about drop-off points......still waiting for a reply! Have also tried ringing a general number for the area which I found online but it just keeps going through to an answer-machine even though I'm phoning during the office hours clearly stated in the recorded message! Talk about feeling like I'm banging my head against a brick wall isn't in it and all I want to do is pass on some items rather than throw them away which seems such a waste!! :headbang:

My son attends a special school and the 'college' part of the school, for 16-19 year olds has a little health and beauty bit where they do lessons, so I usually give my stuff to them, bits of make up tsv's that I don't want or nail polishes etc.

Latest posts

Back