Shake up ideas

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

newtobid

Registered Shopper
Some serious points below

The first and most important is why have 3 channels?

Bid Plus when live looks quite a professional outfit, the screen layout is clear and the studio is clean and well lit

Price Drop just gets the stuff even bid wont/cant sell used to have an identity with more "banter" but now with rarely having an assistant this has stopped.

Bid is bid.

Secondly if you ever see bid plus when it is bid infomercials late at night or when not live the hour is usually selling blue magic, halogen oven or another staple bid product at least £5 more than the website/bid or price drop price. This is unacceptable, a lot of these also feature people that have left the channel (wayne and nicola).

I have more and more of an inkling that bid plus will become the second channel and possibly bid or more likely price drop will slowly fade away.

I think they should be more like Mad Bid. They are anyway when they sell items in twos or threes. They should get everyone to call in and text to a premium number day 50p and the lowest unique bid gets the item. In the old days they sold good products for the low item auctions like Sony etc so that the two that got them got a real bargain. These days I am not sure that is the case as in they are not even worth 1p plus post and call. They should do this not all the time but with top quality items. iPads DSLR cameras etc.

PJ

I don't have any ideas how to shake up this most shabby of Shopping Channels however, I suspect OFCOM would :wink:

Personally I think all channels should be replaced by a test card.

Using an old BBC testcard (remember the one with a young girl playing noughts and crosses?).... have Peter Simon sat on a stool doing exactly the same AND wearing a dress :clapping:

Personally I think all channels should be replaced by a test card.

Using an old BBC testcard (remember the one with a young girl playing noughts and crosses?).... have Peter Simon sat on a stool doing exactly the same AND wearing a dress :clapping:

And a handbag, he 'luv's em' :giggle:

I think they should be more like Mad Bid. They are anyway when they sell items in twos or threes. They should get everyone to call in and text to a premium number day 50p and the lowest unique bid gets the item. In the old days they sold good products for the low item auctions like Sony etc so that the two that got them got a real bargain. These days I am not sure that is the case as in they are not even worth 1p plus post and call. They should do this not all the time but with top quality items. iPads DSLR cameras etc.

PJ

I have to disagree here. If I see something I want to buy, I'll buy it. I don't want to take part in a game to see if I can win it, I can't be bothered, even if it is a bargain! In a real auction if you get outbid, it doesn't cost you any more to scratch your nose, but on tv you have to phone in again....No thanks. I think they should lose at least two of the channels and concentrate on giving the viewers bargains!

I don't think Price Drop will last much longer - they flog the crap that even Bid try not to sell - and has anyone noticed that they barely seem to shift quantities these days? They seem to be selling about 10 of an item in peak times.

Coming up next...the Gener8 Jewellery Cleaner....HURRY TO YOUR PHONES.

I don't think Price Drop will last much longer - they flog the crap that even Bid try not to sell - and has anyone noticed that they barely seem to shift quantities these days? They seem to be selling about 10 of an item in peak times.

Coming up next...the Gener8 Jewellery Cleaner....HURRY TO YOUR PHONES.

Watching Steve Macdonald trying to sell items on Price-drop is utterly painful to watch; the Nautical Time watch had a quantity of 52 to start with and they only sold 5 of them, and it was a similar story with the Christin Lars that followed. (Lost interest at that point so don't know how that one ended.) And it's not for lack of trying; they're constantly showing scenes of a busy warehouse in the background and McDonald's waving his clipboard around like nobody's business together with a genuine and barely-concealable sign of desperation to his voice, presumably because he knows that his job's on the line if they don't sell product. No wonder they still have so many boxes to shift! :wink: (Though they did manage to sell all 7 of their Stuhrling watches for £69 so there could be hope for them yet.)

If this state of affairs carries on for much longer they WILL go bust. No question.

Incidentally a now-defunct TV channel (Manchester's Channel M) did do the "test card with live person in the middle" idea for real (there are clips on YouTube), namely with comedian Frank Sidebottom (RIP) replacing the girl, but both the channel and the comedian are now no longer with us therefore it's not something that's recommended for both Bid TV and Peter Simon :smile:

Every time we turn on it's either the wizzy mop thing, mattress protector or the v shaped cushion not forgetting various "designer" watches. Lisa Brash was blaming her poor sales on Sunday night on the fact that the kids were going back to school in the morning?

If bid did close I wonder what the final ever scene would be.

Would they let us know or would we just tune into "Channel not on air" or w/e happens these days.

If bid did close I wonder what the final ever scene would be.

Would they let us know or would we just tune into "Channel not on air" or w/e happens these days.

It would be a still of Dirty Peter sobbing to his Worry Angel and a caption stating 'not only am I on the Dole'.

I seriously don't know where you'd start trying to turn this business round. Probably starting from scratch again with one channel would be a good move. Ditch all the "end-of-the-pier" and Z-list presenter types and hire people who know their stuff. Get rid of all the tat. Keep away from the jewellry at all costs (too many channels doing it far better than they ever could) and the weird stuff (like the binoculars/camera combo they have on tonight) and stick to areas they are reasonably good at like fashion and cookery. I'm sure there must be a few budding young fashion designers out there who would be willing to produce exclusive items for them, rather than some of the dated clothing they sell now.Don't be afraid of going upmarket.

Latest posts

Back