Ocean dongle

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

PJ.

In an Ideal World ...
I noticed whilst flogging this dead horse they just so happened to have Sky Sports 2 already in the search box because "someone must have been playing with it"

Not trying to give the impression you can get Sky Sports on it are you Michael Mason?

PJ

Haha they didn't like that, they hate it when qvc or ideal world on there.
How long will this channel last for ?i give it 6 months.

There was a Sky Sports 2 icon shown the last time I saw the dongle being demonstrated, though of course that particular channel may not be available to dongle users forever (or at all).

There was a Sky Sports 2 icon shown the last time I saw the dongle being demonstrated, though of course that particular channel may not be available to dongle users forever (or at all).

It does have many channels like that but when you click the icon it says you have to pay/subscription service. Its pretty much like when you select the channel on Freeview but can't get it.

I got one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151000359434?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 for £2.50 with free p&p and it works the same way (Provides over worldwide 38000 radio stations & 18000 TV stations which automatically updates program & new stations as they appear onsite).

It does have many channels like that but when you click the icon it says you have to pay/subscription service. Its pretty much like when you select the channel on Freeview but can't get it.

I got one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151000359434?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 for £2.50 with free p&p and it works the same way (Provides over worldwide 38000 radio stations & 18000 TV stations which automatically updates program & new stations as they appear onsite).

Someone did a presentation of it a few weeks back and said you can watch HBO and Canal+, indeed the Presenter said he/she uses his/her dongle to do so.

Either the Presenter was bullshitting (hard to believe I know) or it is providing a link to an illegal streaming site. For those who don't know these channels are the equivalent to Sky Premium Channels in other countries, you cannot subscribe directly to either service in the UK and even where you can you certainly cannot watch their content for free without a channel subscription (a la Sky Go).

Tutt Tutt.

Someone did a presentation of it a few weeks back and said you can watch HBO and Canal+, indeed the Presenter said he/she uses his/her dongle to do so.

If the stream is provided in a European country then it's legal for anyone to view (a court case has clarified this issue), though there may be contractual reasons relating to the legality of content but that isn't something that should really concern anyone using such a dongle.

In short, don't worry :smile:

If the stream is provided in a European country then it's legal for anyone to view (a court case has clarified this issue), though there may be contractual reasons relating to the legality of content but that isn't something that should really concern anyone using such a dongle.

In short, don't worry :smile:

The point I was making PP is HBO and Canal+ are Premium Subscription Channels whose streaming services should only be available to paying customers. If the dongle gives anyone access who isn't a subscriber then it must be providing a link to an 'illegal' streaming site which would seem a not terribly ethical thing for a Shopping Channel to do.

Then again the presenter could have just been BS'ing and it dosen't provide access to them at all!

Last edited:
i think the main point to make about this product is the different way hodgson sells it to mason

one is right one is wrong

one says you watch tv worldwide and all your favourite programmes (mason)

one says it is a collection of streams of channels to save you the hassle of looking (andy)

I bought the dongle from Bid many years ago when it cost £24.99 +p&p
It was the PROlectrix one then and I must say it still does the same job as their "new and improved" Ocean one...

It didn't look like the UK Sky Sports logo.

What I didn't understand was if Mike hates paying Sky that much why doesn't he have an Ocean dongle? Hmmm.

PJ

It didn't look like the UK Sky Sports logo.

What I didn't understand was if Mike hates paying Sky that much why doesn't he have an Ocean dongle? Hmmm.

PJ

Well he's stopped mentioning how much he pays for his package, so the next thing will be, he's chucked it and bought a dongle and it'll be the best bit of kit he's ever bought.

He was showing some ladders last night. He was so impressed by them that he actually bought them. They are the dogs rollocks, a sturdy, well made, safe bit of kit and so simple to use. They are the same ones Charlie fell through :smirk:

Why is it when he searched for ITV it only comes up with ITV 3 & 4 but not ITV or ITV 2? Happened on two separate days. Some amazing device.

Questions of legality aside, it's worth keeping in mind that these "dongles" are just flash drives with a bit of software on them. You can get the equivalent software for nothing online. A cursory glance turned up this application, which I just downloaded and installed for free (when you install it make sure you uncheck the boxes that encourage you to install stupid extra toolbars and other bits of spam), which gave me access to a couple of hundred streamed TV channels immediately. I'm sure the library it has could easily be updated to add more.

Sorry to bump this thread but I finally got round to setting the dongle up and found out.. it actually does let you view some of the Sky Sports channels lol

What it does is picks up certain websites round the net that broadcast various channels such as sky sports 3 I have on now (it does also pick up legit free channels too direct from the broadcaster):

saved1.jpg

As you can see its not actually broadcast from SKY... its broadcast from WIZIWIG which is a free channel that broadcasts pay channels for free (from sky/espn etc).

We'll I was surprised it did that lol.

Last edited:
Sorry to bump this thread but I finally got round to setting the dongle up and found out.. it actually does let you view some of the Sky Sports channels lol

What it does is picks up certain websites round the net that broadcast various channels such as sky sports 3 I have on now (it does also pick up legit free channels too direct from the broadcaster):

View attachment 9194

As you can see its not actually broadcast from SKY... its broadcast from WIZIWIG which is a free channel that broadcasts pay channels for free (from sky/espn etc).

We'll I was surprised it did that lol.

I mentioned this when James Russell was saying it provided links that allow you to watch HBO and Canal+, which are Pay TV channels that don't even broadcast in the UK and whose services should only be available to paying subscribers. But as you say, it also provides links to illegal streaming sites that broadcast Sky Sports which is no doubt what it does with HBO and Canal+ too.

It is surprising, to me at least, that a shopping channel would sell such a product.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back