The V-Slicer Innovation.......

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Chess

Registered Shopper
yeah, 15 years ago!! I bought one of these at an Ideal Homes type exhibition at least 15 years ago, and it honestly hasn't changed a jot. IW seem to be picking up more and more from the 'exhibition gimmick' side of the market - the Ped Egg, Brickie, paint system, etc etc are all things I've seen on Teleshopping hours, where the demos are clearly filmed at exhibitions. It's getting to the stage that 'tat' doesn't describe their stuff!

yeah, 15 years ago!! I bought one of these at an Ideal Homes type exhibition at least 15 years ago, and it honestly hasn't changed a jot. IW seem to be picking up more and more from the 'exhibition gimmick' side of the market - the Ped Egg, Brickie, paint system, etc etc are all things I've seen on Teleshopping hours, where the demos are clearly filmed at exhibitions. It's getting to the stage that 'tat' doesn't describe their stuff!

What words would you use to describe IW 'stuff'?

I was watching the demo last night and the guy who was doing it to do parsnip chips had so much trouble getting them with it being jerky and in the end he had to bang the V slicer on the counter top to actually get it moving :11: well that did it for me and deff not ordering one lol lol

I got it from Wilkinsons a few years back. You may have a finger guard but massive amounts of fruit and veg stay attached to the spikes and you cannot resisit poking them out and slicing these end bits using your hands. They're also flimsy and veg gets stuck in the grooves and blades.

I've also had a really nasty accident using one. The blade is so sharp you don't feel the first cut.....I remember standing in my ktchen wondering why the potatoes were turning red.

These slicers are two a penny these days, and available literally everywhere, there's no need to pay £22 for one, and it looks like you have to buy separate blades for it for rosti etc. We've got one that's got quite a few interchangable blades, and it works ok, not had any accidents with it...and we definitely paid less than a tenner for it. "Only available on TV"...yeah right!

i bought this many many years ago at the great yorkshire show.....used it a few times swearing as i went......it looked soooooooo easy to work & im no smuck when it comes to gadgets [ being a gadget queen according to HID :33: ].....i found i did most damage to myself when i STUDILY kept it in the knife drawer & often not quite watching what i was doing jabbed my fingers of the very sharp blades..:32:....it went in the bin when we packed up to move......i now have the one from qvc & thats brilliant....in fact i have 2.....1 for the lizards food & 1 for ours......so try theres out ............IMO

Mine lasted for the entire length of ONE attempt, having done catering at college and having used a professional mandoline, the blade on this thing may be sharp but it is soo flimsy that it simply doesn't do the job properly, hated it and binned it not long after. Buy a proper mandoline if you need one, this thing has lasted by dint of the sales at expos, when people can't take it back after!

yes we got one from the Ideal Home exhibition about in 1990 and paid £9.99 then for the extra 1p got the extra cutter.It was even the same garish orange.I remember the year as we moved in 1991 and it went to the tip. We managed to have a nasty accident with it too

I looked in Wilkinsons this morning and they had a V sliver for £5, looks the same thing. Ok, you don't get the extra bits with it but how many times do you want to make radish flowers?

I looked in Wilkinsons this morning and they had a V sliver for £5, looks the same thing. Ok, you don't get the extra bits with it but how many times do you want to make radish flowers?

Or finger flowers if your not careful :eek: looked very dangerous the other night especially when the demonstrater was banging it on the counter top to get it to cut parsnip chips.

Has anyone complained about this knife to the manufacturers, ideal World or anyone?
It sounds completely deadly!:11:
It would be the type of thing I'd look at buying, then me being very clumsy would find myself running to the hospital clutching severed fingers (thank God the hospital is two streets away from me!)

Last edited:
I don't have one but on the qvc best and worst items bought list loads of people listed as the worst item ever - most having lost bits of their fingers!!!
Being a bit accident prone myself will not be investing in one.:11:

I've had one I bought from Woolies currently in the back of the cupboard....its survived a house move and various 'dos' without ever seeing the light of day...in view of the experiences of folk on here,I think its straight in the bin tomorrow:11: (Question to self: why on earth did I buy it?)

I was given a very similar item by my Mum, who had had it in the cupboard for a while but never used it. I tried it once and after having cut myself badly it went in the bin in a sealed box labelled dangerous.

Latest posts

Back