can anyone help

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Milly

Registered Shopper
I have a large pond with a lot of fish that I've had for about 10 years I have a mixture of gold fish tench and large Koi I havent seen them since about November as they go down the bottom of the pond over winter but I have started to see a few this past couple of weeks and have just started to feed them a little bit now the weather is slightly warmer but my problem is I have had 5 of my big gold fish die in the last week they look healthy by that I mean they dont look deceased or have that fungus on them and they dont seem ill before hand one day they all look fine then the next day they are dead I was wondering if anyone here keeps pond fish and if they are having any problems ,I expect to loose a few now and again with old age etc but this seems strange.I have a small fountain and the pump and filters are working to keep the oxegen levels up so I'm at a loss about why its happening.

Hi Milly so sorry to hear about your fish.

We have quite a large pond with a mixture of fish - Koi, orfe - blue and gold, tench and some others that I can't remember. So far this year they seem to be OK (touch wood) and are all swimming at the top. A few years ago (before we moved here) we had what seems to be the same problem. We had two large ponds and the fish were dying in one of them we moved the remaining fish to the other pond but unfortunately most of them died anyway. We did try to find out what the problem was but couldn't.

Sorry I can't be of any help.

Sorry to hear about your fish Milly, I don't have a pond but keep tropical fish, I'm guessing the principles would be the same? so I'm just wondering have you tested the water at all? You could either take a sample to your local fish shop for them to test or invest in something like this for yourself http://www.swelluk.com/pond/pond-te...m=googlebase&gclid=CMT3sYij6LYCFZQZtAodoAgASg

It may be as the fish don't look diseased that there has been some bacteria die off for some reason or another, bacteria is what converts the fish waste to keep the water safe. If your tests come back with either Ammonia or Nitrite then this is toxic to fish and can sadly sometimes cause losses so it may be a good place to start.

Latest posts

Back