If you thought Mike Mason was bad at scare tactics...................

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Wirral70

Registered Shopper
Steve Mc has just put in a virtuoso performance of scaremongering. It's the shitty ID Stamps again but in the space of a few moments he mentioned...........

His neighbour got a call from someone who wanted to hack their computer
You can get text messages that the moment you open them you can get charged a fortune
If you get asked to ring a number because you have won a prize you can be ripped off

I'm not exactly sure how the ID Stamp could help with any of those scenarios. They weren't selling very well (his demo didn't help as his stamp had ran out of ink, I kid you not) so he moved onto telling us a story about his elderly Nana, who wasn't very well at the time and didn't know what she was doing (his words, not mine). Sadly she got took in with a dodgy Prize Draw scam and got stung for well over £10,000. Again, i'm not exactly sure how the ID Stamp would have helped her but perhaps he was just pointing out there are dodgy characters around :wink:

But what a sad, heart wrenching story. However I must say i'm quite surprised he didn't mention such a personal story earlier in the sale.

Last edited:
Steve Mc has just put in a virtuoso performance of scaremongering. It's the shitty ID Stamps again but in the space of a few moments he mentioned...........

You can get text messages that the moment you open them you can get charged a fortune
If you get asked to ring a number because you have won a prize you can be ripped off

I'm not exactly sure how the ID Stamp could help with any of those scenarios. They weren't selling very well (his demo didn't help as his stamp had ran out of ink, I kid you not) so he moved onto telling us a story about his elderly Nana, who wasn't very well at the time and didn't know what she was doing (his words, not mine). Sadly she got took in with a dodgy Prize Draw scam and got stung for well over £10,000. Again, i'm not exactly sure how the ID Stamp would have helped her.

But what a sad, heart wrenching story. However I must say i'm quite surprised he didn't mention such a personal story earlier in the sale.

Maybe there were some 'worry angels' out of shot :smirk:

I'm not exactly sure how the ID Stamp could help with any of those scenarios. They weren't selling very well (his demo didn't help as his stamp had ran out of ink, I kid you not) so he moved onto telling us a story about his elderly Nana, who wasn't very well at the time and didn't know what she was doing (his words, not mine). Sadly she got took in with a dodgy Prize Draw scam and got stung for well over £10,000. Again, i'm not exactly sure how the ID Stamp would have helped her but perhaps he was just pointing out there are dodgy characters around :wink:

We bought one of those stamps from a stationers but it wasn't very good. We now have a cross shredder but my husband still burns all papers with our names and details on, in a bucket behind the garage.:giggle:

The whole ID stamp pitch is ridiculous.
They purport to demonstrate that obscuring your name,sort code and bank account number from your statements will protect you against identity theft.
This is errant nonsense as your name,sort code and account number appears on every cheque you write and on every debit card transaction you make as well as being permanently shown on your cheques,paying in slips and debit card.
Perhaps Mike Mason and his fellow experts at BidTv will explain to us how inking over these details on your statements before you bin them has any benefit whatsoever and how this information can,in isolation,make you more liable to identity theft.
Moreover Mike Mason has repeatedly claimed that shredding you old statements is ineffectual because indentity thieves will piece them back together!!!!!!!!!!!!
The whole pitch for this primitive and irrelevant product is pure cobblers and is designed to flog a item which is hopelessly outdated and out of touch with modern technology.

The whole ID stamp pitch is ridiculous.
They purport to demonstrate that obscuring your name,sort code and bank account number from your statements will protect you against identity theft.
This is errant nonsense as your name,sort code and account number appears on every cheque you write and on every debit card transaction you make as well as being permanently shown on your cheques,paying in slips and debit card.
Perhaps Mike Mason and his fellow experts at BidTv will explain to us how inking over these details on your statements before you bin them has any benefit whatsoever and how this information can,in isolation,make you more liable to identity theft.
Moreover Mike Mason has repeatedly claimed that shredding you old statements is ineffectual because indentity thieves will piece them back together!!!!!!!!!!!!
The whole pitch for this primitive and irrelevant product is pure cobblers and is designed to flog a item which is hopelessly outdated and out of touch with modern technology.

That also sounds like a reasonable description of Sit Up :giggle:

Why do they sell stamps and not shredders/ why do they say the stamps are better? They can buy the stamps for pennies from the chinese makers, and even better for when they have to store them in a warehouse as they take up much less space. No wonder they want to point out the major points of these silly stamps. If they got their hands on thousands of cheap shredders and stopped the stamps, I'm sure the presenters would all have a change of story.

It's obvious, with these handy stamps, you can stamp out identity theft, and dodgy deals.....If you stamp over your mobile phone screen, then you'll not be able to read any of those dodgy texts that might cost you a fortune to open. Likewise stamp over those iffy scratch cards, then that's another dodgy deal you've stamped out...Not so daft now eh?!

It's obvious, with these handy stamps, you can stamp out identity theft, and dodgy deals.....If you stamp over your mobile phone screen, then you'll not be able to read any of those dodgy texts that might cost you a fortune to open. Likewise stamp over those iffy scratch cards, then that's another dodgy deal you've stamped out...Not so daft now eh?!

Laughable isn't it Merry?

What is it with Steve McDonald and the constant rubbing of his nose. I wonder if it's an involuntary action caused by fibbing?

Last edited:
...Somebody talk me out of buying some, though I wouldn't necessarily buy off them. I have used shredders in the past and have found them to be bulky, so need to find somewhere to store it. I also used to find that when I had my "shredding sessions" at least twice would the thing get jammed, however careful you think you're being, and you have to stop everything to unjam it, paper dust is flying all over your work surfaces/floor, then once you have managed to shred it all, it's the job of transferring it into a bag/bin without spilling it everywhere, and they're noisy. I'm sorry if I sound like I'm selling them, but what could be easier than obliterating all the sensitive info with a quick stamp and throwing the stuff away at your leisure?

...Somebody talk me out of buying some, though I wouldn't necessarily buy off them. I have used shredders in the past and have found them to be bulky, so need to find somewhere to store it. I also used to find that when I had my "shredding sessions" at least twice would the thing get jammed, however careful you think you're being, and you have to stop everything to unjam it, paper dust is flying all over your work surfaces/floor, then once you have managed to shred it all, it's the job of transferring it into a bag/bin without spilling it everywhere, and they're noisy. I'm sorry if I sound like I'm selling them, but what could be easier than obliterating all the sensitive info with a quick stamp and throwing the stuff away at your leisure?

I could be wrong but from what I have seen of them a fat, permanent black marker pen would do the job just as easily.

Personally I prefer to use a shredder but I guess it's horses for courses.

I could be wrong but from what I have seen of them a fat, permanent black marker pen would do the job just as easily.

Personally I prefer to use a shredder but I guess it's horses for courses.

The problem with both solutions is that toner ink can be read even when crossed out by permanent marker, as it's shiny. The stamp is marginally better as the garbled pattern makes the text harder to decipher, much like how the patterns that line envelopes make it harder to read the contents without opening.

The problem with both solutions is that toner ink can be read even when crossed out by permanent marker, as it's shiny. The stamp is marginally better as the garbled pattern makes the text harder to decipher, much like how the patterns that line envelopes make it harder to read the contents without opening.

I totally agree Billy, personally I wouldn't use either.

Last time I saw the stamps being sold, they showed a video clip in the background of someone stamping over some "confidential details"; in this example it was a mock bank statement which includes Bid TV amongst such luminaries as Debenhams (ha ha), etc., but the clip abruptly stops after the stamp has been used. Perhaps it's because I noticed that one of the numbers on the statement appeared to be still visible afterwards? :giggle:

My concern is that anyone with bad eyesight might buy one of these stamps thinking that it will protect them if they personally can't read what's on a piece of paper after using the stamp, whereas someone else might still have little to no difficulty reading what's on the page.

Latest posts

Back