If you don't believe me, take this to any jeweller and...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Hillary

Registered Shopper
get it valued.

Well, my sister-in-law did last year and the 'tanzanite' she bought wasn't worth half what she paid for it! Fair play though, she sent it back and she did get a refund.

get it valued.

Well, my sister-in-law did last year and the 'tanzanite' she bought wasn't worth half what she paid for it! Fair play though, she sent it back and she did get a refund.

The trouble with the 'get it valued' claim is they can't lose eitherway Hilary.

Even if you send it back they have made money on the P+P (and possibly a call) and then just flog the item onto someone else and the cycle potentially starts all over again.

On the other side of the coin that wretch Mason constantly reassures us we can return sub £10 items if we don't like them knowing full well it makes no economic sense to do so.

Even if you send it back they have made money on the P+P (and possibly a call) and then just flog the item onto someone else and the cycle potentially starts all over again.

On the other side of the coin that wretch Mason constantly reassures us we can return sub £10 items if we don't like them knowing full well it makes no economic sense to do so.

I agree, I think it was you that said that's the thing that's keeping the business afloat. They're selling poor quality merchandise, and they know it! Fortunately enough for them there's still enough people out there who are prepared to give it a try 'cause they make the stuff sound so good. Of course they soon realise that it'll work out cheaper just to put up with it. They can't even send a quick email to register their disappointment, just make a frustrating, and costly phonecall - Kerching to them!

It would be better to receive a broken, or faulty item, cause at least you can get all the money you paid back from them, but that's normally not the case. It'll be an item of jewellery that looked stunning on the screen, but look like a xmas cracker gift in the flesh, or something made from fabric you could shoot peas through, perfume that wears off in seconds, that kind of thing.

Eventually this'll catch up with them. What we really need though is a high profile investigation into these dodgy practices...newspaper or watchdog on tv would be good. The ASA weekly complaints is good, but it kind of reminds me of the whack a mole game...hit one on the head and another one pops up!

I agree, I think it was you that said that's the thing that's keeping the business afloat. They're selling poor quality merchandise, and they know it! Fortunately enough for them there's still enough people out there who are prepared to give it a try 'cause they make the stuff sound so good. Of course they soon realise that it'll work out cheaper just to put up with it. They can't even send a quick email to register their disappointment, just make a frustrating, and costly phonecall - Kerching to them!

It would be better to receive a broken, or faulty item, cause at least you can get all the money you paid back from them, but that's normally not the case. It'll be an item of jewellery that looked stunning on the screen, but look like a xmas cracker gift in the flesh, or something made from fabric you could shoot peas through, perfume that wears off in seconds, that kind of thing.

Eventually this'll catch up with them. What we really need though is a high profile investigation into these dodgy practices...newspaper or watchdog on tv would be good. The ASA weekly complaints is good, but it kind of reminds me of the whack a mole game...hit one on the head and another one pops up!

Indeed Merry, I would guess at least 50% of their merchandise isn't worth returning. Furthermore they use 0844 numbers for CS which aren't cheap to call and which no doubt further dissuades a customer to arrange a return.

For me the real giveaway with Sit Up is that they don't even have product reviews on their website. The whole set up reeks of an ethos of sell tatt, don't let a potential customer read a review and then apply high associated charges that pretty much ensures anything costing less than £20-£25 is hardly worth returning and anything costing less than £10 is definitely not worth returning.

It seems to work too.

Last edited:

She sent it back for a few pence, it was so shoddy and light. Even with a strong letter, the jewelers valuation, and a copy of a letter to Trading Standards it didn't cost much

She sent it back for a few pence, it was so shoddy and light. Even with a strong letter, the jewelers valuation, and a copy of a letter to Trading Standards it didn't cost much

But how much did the item cost Hillary?

The point I was making is the majority of their merchandise isn't worth returning because of the 'final price' of the product. Obviously if you have paid, lets say £50 for something then it's worth sending back. Unfortunately most of their products cost less than £20, it's barely worth the trouble and I suspect they know that. But if it cost less than £10 it would actually end up costing you money to return the item!

And even if you do send something back they have always made money on the ripoff P+P and call anyway. It's a win, win for them.

Last edited:
But how much did the item cost Hillary?

The point I was making is the majority of their merchandise isn't worth returning because of the 'final price' of the product. Obviously if you have paid, lets say £50 for something then it's worth sending back. Unfortunately most of their products cost less than £20, it's barely worth the trouble and I suspect they know that. But if it cost less than £10 it would actually end up costing you money to return the item!

And even if you do send something back they have always made money on the ripoff P+P and call anyway. It's a win, win for them.

I think, as far as I can remember, it was over 50 quid. One of those 'AAA' grade ones. Or, what they call grade AAA. It's true what you say though. The biggers get you on all sides don't they?

Yup. It's the shopping channel that deliberately sells **** and relies on the high P&P with the added incentive in sending the **** back isn't financially worth it.

Anywhere else it would be called cowboy trading but because there is no consumer code or charter for shopping TV networks, these nasty pieces of work can do what they like by ripping everyone off. It's another case of Rip off Britain. Yet the stupid lemmings we are allow it to continue to happen. No wonder foreign businesses and companies make a beeline here. They know they can sell their goods for more than anywhere in Europe or worldwide. The British consumer is just too gullible.

Latest posts

Back