Do your own research.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
I collect gemstones, both loose and set in jewellery, as an investment and because they intrigue me - the composition and evolution. I would strongly suggest that, prior to making a purchase, you ought to gather information on the gem, it's hardness, acceptable/desirable attributes, etc. Whilst the presenters know what they are talking about - they have to complete courses in gemology - the quality of gems can be quite subjective. Gems can be termed as being 'eye clean'. We all have different eyesight - short/long sighted, for example - so what appears perfect to one may have obvious inclusions, visible to someone with better vision.

Thanks for your post, I too have been learning quite a lot on Gemstones. Mostly the different types of names given to gemstones (Such as Green Tanzanite). When I see a gem I haven't seen before I will google it, just yesterday I had a read of Mosaic opal after it appeared on x2 channels.
It's sometimes hard to understand a lot of the technical terms given to specific details of a gem, such as a Birth mark.. otherwise known as an inclusion as you will know.

My next purchase of a gem will be Tsavorite, I will definitely be learning more about that before I buy it.

I think it's important to know that whilst presenters may know more about gems than the information on the screen in front of then, they are not gemologists, they are sales people and are therefore unlikely to tell us the unvarnished truth.

Thanks for your post, I too have been learning quite a lot on Gemstones. Mostly the different types of names given to gemstones (Such as Green Tanzanite). When I see a gem I haven't seen before I will google it, just yesterday I had a read of Mosaic opal after it appeared on x2 channels.
It's sometimes hard to understand a lot of the technical terms given to specific details of a gem, such as a Birth mark.. otherwise known as an inclusion as you will know.

My next purchase of a gem will be Tsavorite, I will definitely be learning more about that before I buy it.
I find that half of the fun of collecting gemstones is doing the research first. Also, I watch gems tv, not only because I'm in the market to buy jewellery, but to find out more about the gems. I have in the past googled gems, and then the presenter says something contrary to what I have discovered, so it is advisable, no essential, to gather info yourself. I know people are different, but I am amazed at why anyone wouldn't find the whole subject of gems interesting. Just watching gems tv is an education in itself.

I think it's important to know that whilst presenters may know more about gems than the information on the screen in front of then, they are not gemologists, they are sales people and are therefore unlikely to tell us the unvarnished truth.

That is an understatement. GEMS TV for me are the single worst channel for exaggerating the value of items. if i could be bothered i could make 5 complaints an hour to the ASA. they just need to hope they dont come under the same scrutiny as BID as their tactics are far worse.

Latest posts

Back