Les Miserables

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Calvin

Registered Shopper
Did any of you see this on the big screen? Or see the stage version? Or read the book?

I saw the movie twice in five days earlier this year and cried like a baby. I was gripped from the first scene when Jean Valjean lifted the flag to the very emotional ending. I haven't a note in my head, but I can still hear the songs..I can hear the people sing!

I saw a production of Les Mis about 20 years ago in Dublin and can not recollect anything about it. Has anyone else seen the film and the stage production? And can you say which was your favourite? x

I saw it in London about 20 years ago and I was unmoved. We have just taken out a love film subscription so will no doubt be seeing it soon. I hate long films though

I've seen the stage production in London and Manchester a few times and I love it. The music is wonderful, stirring, uplifting in parts, funny in others but overall, emotional. I've not seen the latest film as yet.

Saw it in Southampton IMAX. Looked awesome on 75 foot screen and the most powerful sound I have heard in a cinema. Got the bluray on order too. Loved the film.

I've never seen the film, stage shows, at all. It's never appealed to me, sorry.

I've never seen the film, stage shows, at all. It's never appealed to me, sorry.

Don't feel you need to apologise Nora, we're all different and have different tastes. I haven't seen the film, etc. either so, like you, can't comment but we might be pleasantly surprised. I remember when Phantom of the Opera was all the "in" thing and I had no desire to see it but during a visit to Toronto many years ago I had the opportunity to go to a theatre production and it was brilliant....made me wish I'd seen the original here with Michael Crawford taking the lead.

I have seen it on stage a number of times and the film once. The film visually is great, even the minor storyline changes are fine. What I couldn't cope with in the film are lead actors who can't sing or sing well enough for a musical. Sorry, beautiful music spoiled by big Hollywood names. I suppose they need to get bums on seats and people will go to see big film names more than unknown West End or Broadway people. In the old days they used to dub them with real singers, wished they had done the same for this film.

Don't feel you need to apologise Nora, we're all different and have different tastes. I haven't seen the film, etc. either so, like you, can't comment but we might be pleasantly surprised. I remember when Phantom of the Opera was all the "in" thing and I had no desire to see it but during a visit to Toronto many years ago I had the opportunity to go to a theatre production and it was brilliant....made me wish I'd seen the original here with Michael Crawford taking the lead.
I've always said that too BL, have seen the film to this one, loved it and love Michael Crawford!

I have never seen a fully staged production of Les Mis but I just love and adore the music. Did see a concert performance in the Odyssey in Belfast quite a few years ago with Peter Corry and it was brilliant. Love the music so much and decided it was time to read the book - almost finished it a few years ago but stopped just before the end and haven't got around to finishing it off yet. The film was good but I'm happy just listening to the music on its own. I'm funny that way, I'm not really into music videos or anything - I just like to listen to music on its own.

Did see the Pulteney Weir in Bath a few weeks ago!

I was in London just after it opened, and was looking around the west end for a show to see. I could have seen this, or Chess. I'd never heard of LM and I genuinely thought it was about a miserable bloke called Les, so I watched Chess instead. I've regretted this ever since, after it became well known.

I have seen it on stage a number of times and the film once. The film visually is great, even the minor storyline changes are fine. What I couldn't cope with in the film are lead actors who can't sing or sing well enough for a musical. Sorry, beautiful music spoiled by big Hollywood names. I suppose they need to get bums on seats and people will go to see big film names more than unknown West End or Broadway people. In the old days they used to dub them with real singers, wished they had done the same for this film.

They actually recorded them sing LIVE, which is extremely unusual, even if the actors sing themselves, they usually dub their own voices on afterwards

I haven't seen the film yet but my mum has and loves it. She keeps watching it on DVD. I saw the stage show locally and it was good. However I saw a TV screening of the London cast on the West End. Phenomenal. The West End shows clearly have a much larger chorus than the provinces and for Les Mis this makes a huge difference.

My 2 favourite musicals are My Fair Lady and Blood Brothers. I struggle to decide between the 2 very different shows.

I went to London to see the live show, shortly after it opened, so it was the original cast. Absolutely brilliant!!

I've not seen the film but am intending to put it on my Christmas list .................. because I've been very good this year. :wink:

hubby and i have sn les mis stage show 3 times and we love the film too.....amazing and moving ...im loving this ...Phantom ..and Wicked ...omg i love Wicked ....hoping that a film may happen one day ....so clever moving ...funny...colourful...highly recemmend it ::rock::biggrin:

Latest posts

Back