duplicate thread - Urgent - can you give a chick a home?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

dollydimple

Registered Shopper
I'm sorry for double posting but I have just come across this and although I have put it in the pets section, I want to raise awareness as much as possible.

I have come across this and just wondering if anyone in the area can give a home to a couple of chickens or more:

from Nuneaton & Warwickshire Wildlife Sanctuary:-

'URGENT Can anybody rescue some laying hens? There's a farm out in Higham on the Hill (Postcode CV13; near Nuneaton) and they are getting rid of 5000 laying hens! The farmers are commercial egg producers so they only keep the hens for 12 months and then they go to slaughter unless they can find them a happy home. The farmer there is really nice and is more than happy for you to go and get 2 or 3 or as many as you want, he really doesn't want them to go for meat he'd rather them find a happy home - but you need to act quick as they are going for slaughter on Wednesday May 22nd! he just wants £2 a bird. These birds will still continue laying for a couple of years so will more than pay for themselves. Please feel free to call the farmer directly - John Terry 01455 213115'

If you know anyone who could help to offer homes, could you pass the information on please?

Thanks so much.

http://www.nuneatonwildlife.co.uk/ although the post is on their facebook page.

How u posted it on Qvc's Fb page DD? Hope they get homes :( x

P.s Also theres someone on here called Mrschickenfarmer but they arent a VIP so mayb worth a pm to them just in case they know anyone

I would LOVE to help as we always kept chickens at home when I was a child but my house deeds contain a clause which forbids me to have them would you believe! Fingers crossed, they will soon be enjoying a wonderful free environment......I adore seeing them running around in big fields having a great time.

my house deeds contain a clause which forbids me to have them

Shhh, so does mine.

Sorry, I can't help on this occasion, my hen house is fully occupied and I have no room to do any introductions (which can be a difficult process). My friends aren't able to take any more either - one has just had her entire flock eaten by a mink, and dare not re-stock until her hen house has been reinforced. The other has already taken on more hens than she has room for, and is thinking of moving house to better accomodate them!
I would imagine the BHWT or Little Hen Rescue are already working on this case though.

My Deeds also have a clause preventing me from keeping chickens. :sad: I hope these find new homes quickly.

OH I have never even checked mine, but as there are now 3 of us all in a row keeping them I don't think any one is going to complain.
I have just introduced 3 new hens to my 2 and it is only now after 2 weeks that are just starting to get along with each other.
I am lucky in that I have a largish area for them with lots of plants and bushes for them to hide in so no one hen gets picked on during the introductions. I make sure that I spread out the food and have several things for them to drink out of so miss bossy boots couldn't "control" them all.

Update from the Wildlife Sanctuary posts on Facebook:

The good news is that homes have been found ........ for 1000 of the chooks............but the slaughter van won't accept less than 4,000 so the rest have to await their fate on Wednesday when they will be collected from the farm :(

I wasn't aware that hens are only kept for a year of egg laying then disposed of, on the commercial farms, sad isn't it? :(

Update from the Wildlife Sanctuary posts on Facebook:

The good news is that homes have been found ........ for 1000 of the chooks............but the slaughter van won't accept less than 4,000 so the rest have to await their fate on Wednesday when they will be collected from the farm :(

I wasn't aware that hens are only kept for a year of egg laying then disposed of, on the commercial farms, sad isn't it? :(

Aww thats kinda of good news for some of them anyway. Hopefully the rest will get a home too.

Thats awful that there just disposed of after a year :(. Thanks for the update DD

Yes, it's very sad. Hens begin laying at around 22 weeks and commercial laying hens are generally culled at 72 weeks, and that includes Free Range birds, which a lot of people do not appreciate. As soon as they become less reliable layers, ie: not laying an egg every day, they're off to the slaughter house. Obviously an egg producer needs to be able to guarantee a certain number of eggs to supply, so once they start to miss a day occasionally, they are no longer commercially viable. Mostly, they go for making pet food as they are not considered to be meaty enough for good eating for humans.
I'm happy for the hens that are being rehomed though. I recommend rehoming commercial hens to anyone, it's a very rewarding thing to do, and they do continue to lay many eggs, usually until they are around 3 or 4 years old, although you may not get one every single day.

Latest posts

Back