Can they weather the storm?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Julia

Registered Shopper
Welsh borders. Near good salmon river for my husba
Joking aside, I think there is a place for the situps on TV but it needs to tighten up a great deal and doesn't seem to have started yet.

We have some salespeople who are still exaggerating claims and the gallery still seems to be staffed by year 7 students.

I don't wish to name names, but just Look at James Russell He has improved beyond recognition and is a good sale man without patronizing, doing the 'I'm your best friend' routine, exaggerating claims about the goods or about his experience. If he can turn himself around why can't others? I used to have to switch him off but now he is a joy to watch.

It would be such a shame to see this fold, but if they go on without improving, tightening up management, and keeping the salespeople on a tight rein, I think it will be inevitable.

Sadly I haven't seen anywhere near enough evidence to suggest they are improving to the compliance levels of other shopping channels, in fact far from it.

And that's not to mention the shenanigans that goes on. For example we have a middle aged, male presenter who clearly seems to think it's quite acceptable to make jokes about his young, female assistant's breasts not drooping until she gets older, or has children. And all before 7pm.

Can you honestly imagine say Charlie Brook or Dave Bradford saying that?

Joking aside, I think there is a place for the situps on TV but it needs to tighten up a great deal and doesn't seem to have started yet.

We have some salespeople who are still exaggerating claims and the gallery still seems to be staffed by year 7 students.

I don't wish to name names, but just Look at James Russell He has improved beyond recognition and is a good sale man without patronizing, doing the 'I'm your best friend' routine, exaggerating claims about the goods or about his experience. If he can turn himself around why can't others? I used to have to switch him off but now he is a joy to watch.

It would be such a shame to see this fold, but if they go on without improving, tightening up management, and keeping the salespeople on a tight rein, I think it will be inevitable.

I totally agree Julia. James has changed beyond all recognition, he's like a different presenter, I used to have to turn him off too, he appeared so arrogant but now, as you say, he's a joy to watch.
I also think there's a place for Bid and PD but they need to get James Russell in charge of presenter development, they can all learn so much from him.

I miss Charlie McArdle but I'm sure we will not see him on there again. The network integrity, scruples and professionality has taken a huge dive the past year. Andy Hodgson needs to get himself out of there before the ship sinks taking his reputation and self-worth it.

If they had a long term plan I think we would have seen better practices in the last couple of weeks especially since they knew ASA were reporting them to OFFCOM. They are just trying to shift as much as they can before they close IMHO.

Sadly I haven't seen anywhere near enough evidence to suggest they are improving to the compliance levels of other shopping channels, in fact far from it.

And that's not to mention the shenanigans that goes on. For example we have a middle aged, male presenter who clearly seems to think it's quite acceptable to make jokes about his young, female assistant's breasts not drooping until she gets older, or has children. And all before 7pm.

Can you honestly imagine say Charlie Brook or Dave Bradford saying that?

I agree those comments (and others!) are totally out of order but I don't think Bid or PD are ever going to be in IW or QVC's league!
However, in their defence, as I said in my post above, James Russell has managed to completely turned it around to become a likeable, realistic and professional presenter. They (especially the objectionable MM and PS) could all do well to take a leaf out of his book, learn from him and use him as a role model.

I totally agree Julia. James has changed beyond all recognition, he's like a different presenter, I used to have to turn him off too, he appeared so arrogant but now, as you say, he's a joy to watch.
I also think there's a place for Bid and PD but they need to get James Russell in charge of presenter development, they can all learn so much from him.

Just to add a bit of proof this isn't exclusively a Sit Up bashing forum I watched James last night deedee and he was excellent, an absolute pleasure to watch.

Friendly, accurate and fun. It can be done.

(deedee you need to delete some of your messages, your inbox is choccablock full!)

Just to add a bit of proof this isn't exclusively a Sit Up bashing forum I watched James last night deedee and he was excellent, an absolute pleasure to watch.

Friendly, accurate and fun. It can be done.

(deedee you need to delete some of your messages, your inbox is choccablock full!)

Yep, exactly my feelings when I watched him
Oops, thanks, inbox emptied!

The thing is they STILL don't seem to be trying to change.

Aside from Andy Hodgson and James Russell, the other presenters are still at it. I saw about 30 mins of Peter last night and he was up to his old tricks... exagerating gold gram weight, flogging Poundland products with a pitch of them being premium and costing 'a lot of money usually'.

It was interesting that on Radio 4 ASA and Ofcom said they have tried to work with Bid on numerous occasions to change...and Bid were uncooperative.

They have made positive steps (mentioning P&P and phone call now) but they still have a way to go. And presenters like Mike or Peter seem unable to present without lying.

The thing is they STILL don't seem to be trying to change.

Aside from Andy Hodgson and James Russell, the other presenters are still at it. I saw about 30 mins of Peter last night and he was up to his old tricks... exagerating gold gram weight, flogging Poundland products with a pitch of them being premium and costing 'a lot of money usually'.

It was interesting that on Radio 4 ASA and Ofcom said they have tried to work with Bid on numerous occasions to change...and Bid were uncooperative.

They have made positive steps (mentioning P&P and phone call now) but they still have a way to go. And presenters like Mike or Peter seem unable to present without lying.

I think you've summed it up very well Josh. It shows how important it is that they all work together to improve at a time like this. However, there are a few who clearly think they're bigger than the company and exempt from the rules and regulations, Pervy Peter and Gollum being the worst offenders. They just don't seem able to comply but they're actually doing more damage to the company. If they just told the truth, stopped exaggerating, stopped embellishing the facts, stopped scaremongering and preying on the vulnerable like Andy Hodgson and James Russell have, things might have been different. As it is I think the ASA feel that SitUp just don't want to know. It'll be interesting to see what happens next.

If James Russell can turn things around then so can GollumMike and Dirty Peter.

Btw, I have just been watching Paul Becque selling Joytab tablets on Ideal World. What a transformation! He comes across as normal and likeable. A far cry from his manic unhinged persona on Bid/Pricedrop!

I hope so. I really hope the channels go back to how they were in the old days. Often, even if hubby and I weren't looking to buy anything, we would turn over to situps for the entertainment. You could have a laugh with them in those days, and quite honestly they were often better than the regular channels. And the exaggerated claims, large egos of irritating presenters who seemed to think they were the star not the goods, and downright lies weren't so noticeable.

It can be done... Andy H... sheer professional who doesn't have to bang on about his expertise... We can see from his sales method how professional he is. James R. Such a change in a man. He treats us as if we have a brain and always looks smart (some look as if they have just climbed out of a skip)

Mark Ryes used to be constantly vilified on here, but he's now not half so bad and personally I like im.

Mike M. These days, he makes my skin crawl but when he was here before, he was lovely, a laugh a minute and sheer entertainment, and no sexism. His car-crash decline could easily be turned around

There's only one I can think of who couldn't possibly change. He could be given a job behind the scenes, no need to sack him

The middle-management team in any firm are always the weak link. Situp executives should go through them with a big broom and start again from fresh.

Latest posts

Back