My motivation

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

PJ.

In an Ideal World ...
This isn't directly aimed at people like M&M, Mike Mason and their cronies that come on her but I must thought maybe, just maybe you would understand why I am why I am.

I was very close to my cousin and when she died 4 years ago yesterday I helped her partner go through her things as he knew I was into tech and I wanted to help.

There was boxes and boxes of tech, granted not all from Bid but the lions share was. 80% of it was still unopened and most if it junk. It was obvious that as soon as she got him home she realised it was crap and not worth loosing £10 over plus return postage. The tech was years out of date yet purchased in the past few months from Bid. She used to just live having her name read out, by her "friend" the TV presenter. She is my inspiration because I know there are thousands out there just like her.

You may think it is just a bit of harmless fun telling a small lie about the quality of the item you are selling or making it out to be better than it is as you never get to see the person in the flesh like you would in a physical store hence me telling you my cousin Lorraine's story. The people you are ripping off are flesh and blood. Real people. Please change. It isn't too late.

PJ

This isn't directly aimed at people like M&M, Mike Mason and their cronies that come on her but I must thought maybe, just maybe you would understand why I am why I am.

I was very close to my cousin and when she died 4 years ago yesterday I helped her partner go through her things as he knew I was into tech and I wanted to help.

There was boxes and boxes of tech, granted not all from Bid but the lions share was. 80% of it was still unopened and most if it junk. It was obvious that as soon as she got him home she realised it was crap and not worth loosing £10 over plus return postage. The tech was years out of date yet purchased in the past few months from Bid. She used to just live having her name read out, by her "friend" the TV presenter. She is my inspiration because I know there are thousands out there just like her.

You may think it is just a bit of harmless fun telling a small lie about the quality of the item you are selling or making it out to be better than it is as you never get to see the person in the flesh like you would in a physical store hence me telling you my cousin Lorraine's story. The people you are ripping off are flesh and blood. Real people. Please change. It isn't too late.

PJ

If it's any consolation PJ at least we know the broadcast regulator OFCOM is now going to thoroughly investigate Sit-Up.

Meanwhile the ASA will still have it's hands full.

I have found that the best thing to do with trolls and bullies is ignore them. Just go on posting beneath their posts as if they weren't there. Responding to them is like adding oxygen to a fire, without it they soon go out

I have found that the best thing to do with trolls and bullies is ignore them. Just go on posting beneath their posts as if they weren't there. Responding to them is like adding oxygen to a fire, without it they soon go out

Thank you.

This makes me feel as welcome as PJ. singing Happy Birthday at the ladyslashgodess's big day.

Thank you.

This makes me feel as welcome as PJ. singing Happy Birthday at the ladyslashgodess's big day.

Well what can I say, Mike booked me because I promised to be the singing equivalent to the Ocean Dongle but instead of a direct replacement to Lady Gaga, I sang cheap foreign songs.

Now run along and see the Pope about my sainthood please. Yours was an excellent idea :)

PJ

Anyone who isn't faithfully singing from the 'death-to-situp' Hymn sheet is trolling.

Then I plead Guilty.

The last thing I and many others on here want is to see them shut down, We just want to see people selling honestly like Andy and now James

You only had to have been here a few years back to see how much we enjoyed these channels but over the last 2 years they have rapidly gone downhill

The last thing I and many others on here want is to see them shut down, We just want to see people selling honestly like Andy and now James

You only had to have been here a few years back to see how much we enjoyed these channels but over the last 2 years they have rapidly gone downhill
But your not allowed to have a opposite point of view on this forum.
Surely the point of a forum is to have different opinions good or bad,agree or disagree,not to have a small group just agree with everything each other say.

Sorry to hear that about your cousin PJ :(

Anyone who isn't faithfully singing from the 'death-to-situp' Hymn sheet is trolling.

Then I plead Guilty.

I really don't understand people like yourself. Your logic and reasoning are plain daft to put it mildly..

Here we have a shopping channel who have so far accumulated 27 ASA breaches for misleading advertising/selling practices within the past 12 months or so. Are you condoning what they have been up to?

This forum is not about getting one over Bid - most of us on here remember Bid.tv when it was fun to watch / none of the shady selling practices - yes, not all presenters are guilty but some are on another planet when it comes to selling and think they are untouchable. If they thought the ASA were toothless then they might have bit off more than they can chew with Ofcom.

That is all.

I really don't understand people like yourself. Your logic and reasoning are plain daft to put it mildly..

Here we have a shopping channel who have so far accumulated 27 ASA breaches for misleading advertising/selling practices within the past 12 months or so. Are you condoning what they have been up to?

This forum is not about getting one over Bid - most of us on here remember Bid.tv when it was fun to watch / none of the shady selling practices - yes, not all presenters are guilty but some are on another planet when it comes to selling and think they are untouchable. If they thought the ASA were toothless then they might have bit off more than they can chew with Ofcom.

That is all.

Thanks Paul and well said. I totally agree. Used to love watching Mike when he was first on bid. He was a joy to watch, good fun and not the sexist liar he is today.

PJ

That is all.

Guess how many complaints QVC had upheld in that period?
Or Ideal World?
Perhaps Argos TV?
Maybe The Jewellery Channel?
Or even Gems TV?

None, Ziltch, Nada, Zero. I rest my case.

Last edited:
Guess how many complaints QVC had upheld in that period?
Or Ideal World?
Perhaps Argos TV?
Maybe The Jewellery Channel?
Or even Gems TV?

None, Ziltch, Nada, Zero. I rest my case.

I'm not suggesting it's a positive that the company has received this number of ASA placements. But it is perhaps worth noting that many of these placements are put forward by a small number of repetitive, nuisance complainers.

I'm sure OfCom will recognise this, and is probably the reason that your beloved Watchdog haven't picked up a feature on the company. Namely that few, if any of the complaints are genuine.

I'm not suggesting it's a positive that the company has received this number of ASA placements. But it is perhaps worth noting that many of these placements are put forward by a small number of repetitive, nuisance complainers.

I'm sure OfCom will recognise this, and is probably the reason that your beloved Watchdog haven't picked up a feature on the company. Namely that few, if any of the complaints are genuine.

I admire your loyalty but if you are seriously suggesting that OFCOM would have accepted the ASA's referral if what you suggest is indeed fact then I suspect you are at best misguided. Time will tell I guess but i'm pretty sure OFCOM will be reviewing a whole catalogue of content from these channels. I would be very surprised if they made a decision based on 27 complaints.

Furthermore I would be astonished if an ongoing dialogue hasn't taken place between the two regulators, over a lengthy period of time. I very much doubt a letter dropped on OFCOM's doormat on Wednesday and it was the first they knew about it.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I admire your loyalty but if you are seriously suggesting that OFCOM would have accepted the ASA's referral if what you suggest is indeed fact then I suspect you are at best misguided. Time will tell I guess but i'm pretty sure OFCOM will be reviewing a whole catalogue of content from these channels. I would be very surprised if they made a decision based on 27 complaints.

Furthermore I would be astonished if an ongoing dialogue hasn't taken place between the two regulators, over a lengthy period of time. I very much doubt a letter dropped on OFCOM's doormat on Wednesday and it was the first they knew about it.

Just my opinion.

Quite.

The ASA have to pass on the issue at some point, if they feel that they cannot bring a conclusion. They are not expressing an opinion of guilt, as many on this forum appear to assume.

Before I start, the 'I' on my keypad only works when it feels like it, so please bear with me if I don't notice a typo

The original post reminded me of something that happened in the village where we used to live. An elderly lady thought that the shopping channel salespersons were her friends. She kept buying from them non stop. Not just situps either, but their postage was the worst. She was very nearly bankrupt by the time her son got her into a care home. She no longer has a bank account so can't buy even f she could understand. She has sunk so far into dementia, that she doesn't know anyone. She s in the same home as my mum who sadly, also doesn't know anyone. She knows I am Hillary, but not our relationship. One can't help wonder how many more like her are out there can one?

Latest posts

Back