Upheld Complaints Against Sit Up - 29 May 2013

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I was watching yesterday afternoon, admittedly for only about 20mins. The host was Mark someone (bit older than most of them, been there years, looks like he wears a toupee) He was selling a leather tote bag, nice enough but you could have found similar cheaper on the High St, particularly TK Max, when you factored in the p&p. He sold the lot but not once mentioned the p&p while I was watching.

I was watching yesterday afternoon, admittedly for only about 20mins. The host was Mark someone (bit older than most of them, been there years, looks like he wears a toupee) He was selling a leather tote bag, nice enough but you could have found similar cheaper on the High St, particularly TK Max, when you factored in the p&p. He sold the lot but not once mentioned the p&p while I was watching.

I have noticed that problem creeping back in Hillary with one or two of the less high profile presenters Hillary. To be totally fair it's nowhere nearly as big an issue as it once was though, in my opinion.

That would have been Mark 'The Syrup' Stewart. They are all under orders to mention p&p so he probably would have done if you had watched a bit longer.

I have noticed that problem creeping back in Hillary with one or two of the less high profile presenters Hillary. To be totally fair it's nowhere nearly as big an issue as it once was though, in my opinion.

I quite agree Wirral, presenters much better in the main. Still the insulting and irritating 'I'm your best pal and I wouldn't sell you something I didn't believe was fantastic' spiel but then QVC and Ideal World are the same. I think OFCOM has rattled them I just hope they work through it.

I am so glad people are still reporting them as it is the only way they will learn. I remember the Office complaint and thought it was strange at the time as I payed about £50 just for that software, I remember on my tablet I only got a trial (30 days I think) so i presumed it was that... but when they said "And it's not free for 30 days or 60 days, it's on there, you've got it, it's yours" it really confused me and imo is totally misleading. I am over the moon that the ASA upheld that.

I am so glad people are still reporting them as it is the only way they will learn. I remember the Office complaint and thought it was strange at the time as I payed about £50 just for that software, I remember on my tablet I only got a trial (30 days I think) so i presumed it was that... but when they said "And it's not free for 30 days or 60 days, it's on there, you've got it, it's yours" it really confused me and imo is totally misleading. I am over the moon that the ASA upheld that.

What made the 'office' complaint worse is that James said it not in one sale but two, and went to great pains to emphasise what the software could do when it patently couldn't.

I'd like to think it was caused by a misunderstanding and lack of knowledge rather than deliberate. Nevertheless it was totally unacceptable, as were Sit-Up's arguments about the sales. I don't think the ASA could have done anything but fully Uphold that complaint, it was a baddie and no mistake.

In fairness to James the sale took place quite a while ago and he has evidently upped his game in the last few months and for that he should be commended. However, he should be aware that we have to take the presenters at their word (well, to some extent) so being fully briefed is absolutely vital.

As much as I may pass comments on here I actually very rarely complain but that sale is an example of when I will have no hesitation in doing so.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back