Gems suppliers?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

TopazTrish

Registered Shopper
Has anyone on here got any info of whether gems now buy in ready made jewellery from other sources than their own? The reason I ask is because last week I ordered a large carat moonlight topaz ring in silver and it was the cheapest, tackiest looking thing I've ever seen from them(and believe me I've spent thousands of pounds with Gems over the last 8 years) and had the label on it "made in China!!" As far as I'm aware Gems don't have any workshops in China or do they? I thought most things were cut and made in Jaipur? Yesterday there were also several large auctions of 7 multi gemstone rings that auctioned for £69.99 in the so-called Summer Sale. Now I'm all for a bargain but it seems to me that we might be being duped into buying something that isn't all it seems. Has anyone any thoughts on this?
Also the ring I purchased arrived in a box big enough to hold a large paper back book, which wouldn't go through my letter box but I was fortunately at home when they delivered. I cut it down to make a smaller parcel for return but it was still too thick to fit in the slot at Post Office so cost twice as much to return than what I'd paid to have it delivered. I realise Gems aren't responsible for PO charges but this is going to impact greatly on people returning goods, maybe a ploy to cut down returns?

Hi TopazTrish,

Your post does raise an interesting question as I have had similar thoughts about a pair of earrings I bought a few months back. They were a pair of Sarah Bennett Morganite silver drops. I liked the design, so bought them but when they arrived I was very disappointed at the quality, bent and sort of thrown together. the Morganite was treated by impregnation, I believe this is a wax coating to enhance colour and lustre. Okay, I can accept that part but was a bit depressed as I would have probably not bothered but I was too lazy to check first. Then on the little info. tag, I saw Made in China, like you, I believed that they lovingly had all their stones cut, polished and set by the "best people" in their own workshops in Jaipur. Evidently Not!

Sorry to be so long winded but as I had opened the sodding bags, I had to keep them and I never have or ever will wear them. They are still on the Gems website under the SB search, Grrr!

Inge x

Has anyone on here got any info of whether gems now buy in ready made jewellery from other sources than their own? The reason I ask is because last week I ordered a large carat moonlight topaz ring in silver and it was the cheapest, tackiest looking thing I've ever seen from them(and believe me I've spent thousands of pounds with Gems over the last 8 years) and had the label on it "made in China!!" As far as I'm aware Gems don't have any workshops in China or do they? I thought most things were cut and made in Jaipur? Yesterday there were also several large auctions of 7 multi gemstone rings that auctioned for £69.99 in the so-called Summer Sale. Now I'm all for a bargain but it seems to me that we might be being duped into buying something that isn't all it seems. Has anyone any thoughts on this?
Also the ring I purchased arrived in a box big enough to hold a large paper back book, which wouldn't go through my letter box but I was fortunately at home when they delivered. I cut it down to make a smaller parcel for return but it was still too thick to fit in the slot at Post Office so cost twice as much to return than what I'd paid to have it delivered. I realise Gems aren't responsible for PO charges but this is going to impact greatly on people returning goods, maybe a ploy to cut down returns?

I don't think it's a ploy at all. Their p+p charges are the most reasonable on shopping tv; I returned some jewellery and sent it registered, and it cost me £6.22. But it only cost £2.95 to receive the two rings - which I returned because I changed my mind, no fault with the goods - so the cost evened itself out. Re your question, if the tag says made in china, it must have been. I didn't think they bought ready-made jewellery from other sources.

just caught this link - interesting as I have been saying for a while that if Gems were not careful they would turn into a "live" equivalent of a certain online auction site and I am now fairly certain that at least one and possibly two of their suppliers now sell on that certain online auction site. Chiefly because I've seen the same pieces that Gems are selling being sold by sellers based in India. Out of curiosity I brought from one of the indian suppliers and the stats on the pieces come in exactly as on the Gems site - only of course I brought considerably cheaper. I'm finding delivery slow with Gems so I didn't actually have to wait that much longer and the indian supplier was also much cheaper when resizing :) so am reasonably confident that Gems no longer make all their jewelry in their own workshops - but this is presumably because they are now a bit of a monster organisation and the personal touch doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Your comments are very interesting. I recently had the bad luck to loose a stone from a trilogy ring I had bought just over a month ago, I had only worn the ring maybe six times. I really loved the ring, had been waiting for ages to buy that particular stone set in white gold.

I rang Customer Services and explained what had happened and asked if they could replace the stone, I was amazed at the answer, I was told they hadn't made the ring so they couldn't get another stone. I didn't expect that reply, I thought as they deal in stones they could have replaced the lost stone from stock. Their response really surprised me. They don't have another ring of the same style in stock, so sadly I have had to return the ring, and am waiting for a refund. This is not the first time I have had a stone fall out of a new ring, has anyone else had that problem or have I just been unlucky?

Hi Happy Shopper,

I have had a few troubles with Gems over the years, not too many but enough to be a little wary of their quality control. I lost a fire opal stone from a trilogy ring like yours and, like you, I was told that they had none in stock and would not be able to source a replacement. I was surprised about that, if they as mega dealers can't source a stone in a regular shape and calibrated size, then who can? The most recent issue I had was on Thursday, I wore my Tahitian pearl earrings for the first time to go out for the evening. When I was getting ready for bed, I realised that I was only wearing one (barely hanging on to the end of the post) and the other has gone. They want to replace but i would prefer a refund or credit as I feel the reason I lost the earring was because there was just not enough gold in the post and butterfly. The pearls are 11.5mm and quite weighty, the did fall forward a bit on the ear. The butterflies are teeny tiny and I think a replacement would possibly have the same problem. I will be returning the single pearl on Monday and will have to see what they will do for me.

Inge x

Hi, thank you all for your replies and comments. I am rather alarmed to discover that Gems are now buying in ready made jewellery and passing it off as their own, and not made by themselves. Whilst I have no beef about this practice if that is the route they want to go down they must certainly have to inform the viewing public and buyers as to where the ready made jewellery is sourced, on air, so we can make an informed decision whether to purchase or not. It also begs the question as to whether the authenticity certificates are of any worth if they didn't make the jewellery and cannot verify the details, and they will not have any control of quality. I have had some beautiful pieces and spent thousands over the last 8 years but I'm afraid all this has left a rather sour taste in my mouth and I don't think I will be purchasing again unless we get some clarification on air, or word from Steve Bennett about these practices. Are there any legal eagles on this forum who could clarify what Gems are allowed to pass off on TV under the sale of goods act?

jewellery maker, part of Gems has been in trouble in the past for selling gemstone beads that are not what they say they are- fake, I think these also came from China.

The Advertising Standards Authority regulates shopping TV and they should be informed. To mis represent an item is very misleading and also illegal. As I have watched I have never ever heard anyone mention "bought in" or "made in China" jewellery. Only last night Steve was on drawing on a flip chart demonstrating how his cutters in India cut the gems, this was Topaz stones, and how he would settle for nothing less .!!!

Steve on at the moment mentioned their " offices" in china. Where some of the jewellery s made/ set. Remembered this thread so thought I would mention. I did have the misfortune to purchase emerald earrings where the stone fell out before I took them out the bag- luckily stone still there as they asked if I still had the loose stone. I sent all back & received a replacement.

Latest posts

Back