What exactly is a fire diamond?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Hillary

Registered Shopper
I've heard the term 'diamond fire' used to explain a play of light in the heart of a diamond. But the only fire diamond I have heard of is a chemical to extinguish fires.

i thought it might be a punchline during the peter simon grand entrance.

on a quick google search i was still no better off, except i now know you can buy one from "swagjewellery" no thanks.

I presumed it was a brand name like iliana diamonds, perhaps they are diamond substitute (lab created like a Zirconia diamond)? It would be interesting to know as they are imo very vague when selling them in regard to the diamond grading & clarity.

I'm not completely certain but I thought it was something to do with the number of facets.
I thought an 'ordinary' diamond has a certain number of facets depending on the cut and a fire diamond has extra facets cut in it to give more brilliance/fire or whatever (I'm not very knowledgeable about gems!)

I'm not completely certain but I thought it was something to do with the number of facets.
I thought an 'ordinary' diamond has a certain number of facets depending on the cut and a fire diamond has extra facets cut in it to give more brilliance/fire or whatever (I'm not very knowledgeable about gems!)
Yep, you're right DD. The cut gives the diamond 'fire', but I'm a bit dubious about this 'fire diamond' Surely it has to be a real diamond? I remember one Christmas when hubby and I waited hours for a fire diamond to come on, they'd been pushing it all evening. Apparently it was so valuable it had to be kept in the safe. Well when it came on the screen, it looked OK, not a lot of fire, certainly not a diamond fire, but nice enough. Then they showed it on the stand... Oh dear it was tiny and very dull looking. My husband summed it up with the words 'What a sad looking little chip'

Latest posts

Back