Are Bid Shopping now worse than Auction World.tv?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

PJ.

In an Ideal World ...
A while ago I posted a poll to see what people have thought about Bid compared to Auction World, I am just interested in what people think now. Are they worse than AW?

Last edited:
Not even close to those. yes. BID have received an outrageous number of ASA complaints, but from what i have read many of them are quite pedantic and based on semantics rather than a blatant desire to deceive. dont get me wrong. thats not the case with all of them. but quite a few. It seems to me that BID have created this situation themselves with their behaviour a year or so ago. they have clearly attracted the scrutiny of this forum who have taken it upon themselves to bring them to justice. unfortunately for them as their behaviour had improved, the determination to find complaints within their output has also increased. they have nobody to blame but themselves. but it is MY opinion that they are one of the most honest shopping channels at present. if the same scrutiny which is applied to BID was applied to say GEMS TV it would yield just as much uproar and also just as many complaints. i am a fan of gems tv. but i could lodge 5 complaints an hour if i could be bothered. Same goes for other channels too.

I am a little on the outside so maybe my perspective is different but it is almost like BID are being beaten to death while other channels are getting away with murder. i do hope you turn your spotlight around a little and help clean up a few other channels.especially gems TV and TJC.

bingo

Not even close to those. yes. BID have received an outrageous number of ASA complaints, but from what i have read many of them are quite pedantic and based on semantics rather than a blatant desire to deceive. dont get me wrong. thats not the case with all of them. but quite a few. It seems to me that BID have created this situation themselves with their behaviour a year or so ago. they have clearly attracted the scrutiny of this forum who have taken it upon themselves to bring them to justice. unfortunately for them as their behaviour had improved, the determination to find complaints within their output has also increased. they have nobody to blame but themselves. but it is MY opinion that they are one of the most honest shopping channels at present. if the same scrutiny which is applied to BID was applied to say GEMS TV it would yield just as much uproar and also just as many complaints. i am a fan of gems tv. but i could lodge 5 complaints an hour if i could be bothered. Same goes for other channels too.

I am a little on the outside so maybe my perspective is different but it is almost like BID are being beaten to death while other channels are getting away with murder. i do hope you turn your spotlight around a little and help clean up a few other channels.especially gems TV and TJC.

bingo

Really? Could you give an example of what they would be?

I haven't watched Gems for years but have in the past and bought quite a few pieces. Back then, I can't remember anything I would have complained about. They used to give so much info about what you were buying and the pieces when received were all they had said and all keepers. I have never watched TJC.

bingo

I think is a cracking post

Without doubt bid were regularly doing things they should not have been and in some smaller sections still are but compared to there rivals i feel they are now being judged with a different rule book

Really? Could you give an example of what they would be?

I haven't watched Gems for years but have in the past and bought quite a few pieces. Back then, I can't remember anything I would have complained about. They used to give so much info about what you were buying and the pieces when received were all they had said and all keepers. I have never watched TJC.

I watch Gems quite alot now as I collect Gemstones and can't think of one time Gems have been misleading, they display the gram weight of all metals... they display the carat weight of all gemstones... they display the country of origin the gemstones come from... they tell you the cut of the stone and the clarity/grading of the diamonds. Everything you could possibly desire is on the screen in front of you, they even give a 30 day no quibble returns policy. They have a 0845 contact number, an email that they respond to in a matter of hours & a postal address if you wish to contact them via that format.

I am puzzled to what more they can possibly do.

I watch Gems quite alot now as I collect Gemstones and can't think of one time Gems have been misleading, they display the gram weight of all metals... they display the carat weight of all gemstones... they display the country of origin the gemstones come from... they tell you the cut of the stone and the clarity/grading of the diamonds. Everything you could possibly desire is on the screen in front of you, they even give a 30 day no quibble returns policy. They have a 0845 contact number, an email that they respond to in a matter of hours & a postal address if you wish to contact them via that format.

I am puzzled to what more they can possibly do.

You could apply this same defence to BID ... 'they put the call charge on the screen. The delivery charge is on the screen, they tell you each sale about them etcetcetc'
But if you watch GEMS with the same scrutiny that you watch BID and apply the same letter of the law to their output you will find breach after breach after breach.

Using other brands to sell your product is a breach of the code - gems tv do this constantly !
Using celebrities to endorse your products is a breach of the code - gems tv do this constantly!
Misleading the customer about the value of a product is a breach of the code - gems tv do this constantly

I could go on and on but as I said .. I can't be bothered. They break MORE rules each day than BID but they get away with it. Why? Who knows. But it annoys me.

You could apply this same defence to BID ... 'they put the call charge on the screen. The delivery charge is on the screen, they tell you each sale about them etcetcetc'
But if you watch GEMS with the same scrutiny that you watch BID and apply the same letter of the law to their output you will find breach after breach after breach.

Using other brands to sell your product is a breach of the code - gems tv do this constantly !
Using celebrities to endorse your products is a breach of the code - gems tv do this constantly!
Misleading the customer about the value of a product is a breach of the code - gems tv do this constantly

I could go on and on but as I said .. I can't be bothered. They break MORE rules each day than BID but they get away with it. Why? Who knows. But it annoys me.

Can't believe that for a minute BUT if it's true then it's probably because people are generally happy with their purchase and the way it's been sold to them.

Can't believe that for a minute BUT if it's true then it's probably because people are generally happy with their purchase and the way it's been sold to them.

I think you are probably right. The product at GEMS is very good. But does that make it acceptable for them to get away with breaking the rules constantly while every sylabol that is uttered on BID is analysed to see if a complaint can be lodged? Don't get me wrong - BID have themselves to blame. But the focus that is on them needs to be shared around a little. Although I don't think it will.

I would bet my right arm that Gems TV breach the ASA code more on a daily basis than BID. Maybe if mike Mason went to work there people would notice them and their outrageous tactics a little more lol

Which other brands do Gems use to sell their products? I have never heard them mention another Jewelery/Gems outlet... other than their sister channel which is totally acceptable.
Which Celebs do they use to endorse their products? I haven't heard them once refer to a celeb wearing an item of theirs.
Please explain how they mislead the customer in regard to valuation? I have purchased 14 items from them & had them valued at two independent jewelers for insurance purposes & I have always been told what a good deal I had. Also they have a 30 day no quibble returns procedure.... you can't compare Bid to that as Bids P&P + Premium rate phone call = almost £10 which I have never recieved back.... Gems P&P+phone call = about £3.

Now for Bids information they display on the screen, lets use Jewelry for an example... until recently Bid hardly ever put the gram weight of their precious metals on the screen (sometimes Andy would demand it) also they hardly ever would put the location of where the Gemstone has come from which is a major factor in its valuation... also you don't even know if its been lab created, the closest I ever saw Peter Simon come to saying it was "This is the space diamond which not even mother earth could create".. most would think its fallen from space on a comet... when in fact it was grown in a lab.

Last edited:
Really? You have NEVER heard them use celebs? ' this is soooo Victoria Beckham' ' I can see (insert relevant celebrity name) wearing something like this' ... Maybe the volume on my TV is on the blink as I hear that waffle EVERY day !

You have NEVER heard them use other brands? ' this is Cartier inspired? This is soooo tiffany etc etc etc etc. Again. I hear this waffle daily from MOST presenters on gems. If this was reported to the ASA it WOULD be upheld! Why? Because it is a breach of the code!

I have bought lots from the channel and am very happy with the products which is why I don't understand the tactics of the presenters. Way more hard sell than bid tv

I have never heard them make a reference to a celeb or another brand, they source most their Gems independently so commission their own designs as they say a lot. The only other outlet reference I hear them make a fair bit is to their sister channel (usually Ally).
They are the fastest growing British private company which means they must sell an astronomical amount, and I only remember one ASA complaint which was to do with the tanzanite mine getting speedily depleted..... now where have I heard that old chestnut before :thinking:

If that were Bid it would be

'this is not a Cartier, people are ringing and asking if this is a Cartier, it's not a Cartier..................it's a Gianni Riccioliolio'

Nah Bid is in a whole different league of their own

Last edited:
If that were Bid it would be

'this is not a Cartier, people are ringing and asking if this is a Cartier, it's not a Cartier..................it's a Gianni Riccioliolio'

Nah Bid is in a whole different league of their own

That style of sale is as cheap as it gets Momma, but we all know who is the most likely to use it!

Scandalous.

I have never heard them make a reference to a celeb or another brand, they source most their Gems independently so commission their own designs as they say a lot. The only other outlet reference I hear them make a fair bit is to their sister channel (usually Ally).
They are the fastest growing British private company which means they must sell an astronomical amount, and I only remember one ASA complaint which was to do with the tanzanite mine getting speedily depleted..... now where have I heard that old chestnut before :thinking:

I would argue with you but I have read your previous posts and it seems pretty obvious your knowledge of gems. Tv combined with your biased defence of their tactics suggests only one thing. So. I watched for 15 minutes and as a consequence have lodged 5 complaints with the ASA. All of which I feel confident will be upheld.

For example.
Onscreen graphics state everything under £30. Presenter states everything is under £30. Colour change
Florite is sold at 29.99. With postage charge this is £32.98. The customer challenges that the promotion is misleading as the delivery cost was not mentioned or factored in.

A complain against bid was upheld for EXACTLY this. If BID did this there would be uproar!

Presenter Adina states ' the price of this is incompatible. You will never see a deal like this again' really? Can you substantiate that comment? That I will NEVER see a deal like that again?

Presenter claims ' people in the trade are buying. We are going to have to limit you to 2 per person' I called and no such limit was in place!

Can you imagine if BID did this????? And in 15 minutes of watching!

I think people *can* be too harsh on Bid. The presenters often get criticised for feigning shock at the price and saying "Are we really selling it for that low??" or for claiming that everything they sell, not matter how ****, is 'absolutely spectacular'. However, really these sort of selling tactics are used by all shopping channels.

There are however many genuine criticism - Peter Simon for example flogging something as having a "very high gold weight" and selling 100s only for the graphics to later reveal it's gold plated.

Which other brands do Gems use to sell their products? I have never heard them mention another Jewelery/Gems outlet... other than their sister channel which is totally acceptable.
Which Celebs do they use to endorse their products? I haven't heard them once refer to a celeb wearing an item of theirs.
Please explain how they mislead the customer in regard to valuation? I have purchased 14 items from them & had them valued at two independent jewelers for insurance purposes & I have always been told what a good deal I had. Also they have a 30 day no quibble returns procedure.... you can't compare Bid to that as Bids P&P + Premium rate phone call = almost £10 which I have never recieved back.... Gems P&P+phone call = about £3.

Now for Bids information they display on the screen, lets use Jewelry for an example... until recently Bid hardly ever put the gram weight of their precious metals on the screen (sometimes Andy would demand it) also they hardly ever would put the location of where the Gemstone has come from which is a major factor in its valuation... also you don't even know if its been lab created, the closest I ever saw Peter

Washed for 5 more minutes which yielded 2 more breaches of the ASA code.

"this is a one off Parcel. If you go anywhere else. If you go to Jeffrey appley in California you will pay 4 times that at least"

Really? Can you substantiate that gems tv? Are your pieces IDENTICAL to jefferey appley in California? As they HAVE to be in order for you to compare? ... BREACH !

'even in silver that is a good price. You've seen 'hot rocks' selling pieces for that and more'

More use of another brand to sell gems tv products! And in 5 minutes. I have watched for 20 minutes and lodged 7 ASA complaint!!! They are SHOCKING! No wonder they are growing quickly ... They are the biggest BS ers on TV!

"this is just so reminiscent of the wild flower collection by De Bears" gems tv presenter

Sorry Mr Mobo. Yet another example of GEMS TV using brands to sell their products. Totally in breach of the ASA code. My 8th complaint in less than 30 minutes. I am wondering how long it will take me to get past BID TV's 30? At this rate less than a week lol.

Latest posts

Back