Hey Peter Sherlock...I smelled Shalimar yesterday........,,

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
.......and I was quite literally nearly sick. It must be the most revolting perfume I've ever smelled in my life.....BIG FAT YUCK! I only addressed you about this as is this the one you say's your favourite of all time, or am I mistaken? ( I hope so) . If I am right, can you tell me what you like about it, cause to my nose it smelled like a cross between an old lady's knicker drawer and flyspray. Other than that the only other perfumes I've smelled that are as bad, maybe worse, are moondrops by revlon...smelled like cheese, diamonds and rubies, and tweed...migraine in a bottle.

You were spot on what you said about Yardley Polaire.....it was great!!!!

Are you prepared to let us know what perfume, or aftershave makes you heave?

i coudnt agree more. its horrid! but i do know people who love it. i often wonder if people walk past me and hi k the same thing lol.

Youth Dew (estee Lauder) always makes me heave. My late ma in law used to use it, and one Christmas bought me: The soap, hand cream, body cream, bath oil perfume and toilet water. I couldn't change it because my pa in law owned the store where she 'bought' it My favourite perfume then was Givenchy and its been so long since I wore it, that I can't remember the blinking number(!) It was gorgeous, in a grey bottle with a gold top. Mind you, this was over 30 years ago, nearly 40 so I doubt its around now. My other favourite was Worth, Je riviens You can pick the toilet water up cheap as muck these days and it smells horrible.

i coudnt agree more. its horrid! but i do know people who love it. i often wonder if people walk past me and hi k the same thing lol.

those were my thoughts exactly when I read that post, I've never like Shalimar
I've never smelled moondrops or whatever it is but I remember Tweed, my mother used to wear it
which fragrance do you wear Bingo?

Does anyone remember Blase by I think Max Factor that smelled like flit the fly killer to me and always gave me a migraine! I have never enjoyed the smell of Giorgio Beverly Hills either it always smells "off" and oxidized to me. I love Gucci and Clinique happy and simply! I loved miss Dior when I was young but it smells awful to me now!

I remember being bought a bottle of Dior 'Fahrenheit'. To me it smells like cough medicine although it must be popular as it's been around for donkeys years!

When I was a youngster I squirt myself with Impulse body spray, that's all I could afford. There were four fragrances, brown..a hint of musk still available to this day, Pink was called Gypsy and there was a blue and a green tin but I can't remember the names and it's really bugging me. Then we started using stuff like Yardley Chique and Just call me Maxi..think it was horrible, but I liked the name...used to pinch my mum's rive gauche till I got rumbled!

..but Shalimar, Peter....really?!

When I was a youngster I squirt myself with Impulse body spray, that's all I could afford. There were four fragrances, brown..a hint of musk still available to this day, Pink was called Gypsy and there was a blue and a green tin but I can't remember the names and it's really bugging me. Then we started using stuff like Yardley Chique and Just call me Maxi..think it was horrible, but I liked the name...used to pinch my mum's rive gauche till I got rumbled!

..but Shalimar, Peter....really?!

I know he says he hates fragrances that smell like 'Lenor' so I guess it's the pungent ones he really goes for!

I know he says he hates fragrances that smell like 'Lenor' so I guess it's the pungent ones he really goes for!

I must admit, I like my scent to smell of something and not to be wishy washy...I mean some just smell like soap,and as I've said before most perfumes I try don't last five minutes on my skin. I do therefore, need something distinctive, but I like it to be distinctive in a good way!

I must admit, I like my scent to smell of something and not to be wishy washy...I mean some just smell like soap,and as I've said before most perfumes I try don't last five minutes on my skin. I do therefore, need something distinctive, but I like it to be distinctive in a good way!

Merry have you considered the 'Laurelle' range?

Merry have you considered the 'Laurelle' range?

I bought the chocolate and mint ones from Laurelle because they were really cheap,and yes they do smell like chocolate/chocolate orange etc, and the staying power's amazing...unfortunately as good as they are I don't really like smelling of chocolate...thought I would, but I don't! The bottles are lovely too!

Peter, where are you?, come and defend Shalimar!

I bought the chocolate and mint ones from Laurelle because they were really cheap,and yes they do smell like chocolate/chocolate orange etc, and the staying power's amazing...unfortunately as good as they are I don't really like smelling of chocolate...thought I would, but I don't! The bottles are lovely too!

Peter, where are you?, come and defend Shalimar!

While he's at it maybe he can tell us where Bijan VIP For Men is sold for £34.99?

I've been dead busy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Shalimar is amazing. But I hate marzipan. It makes me sick. So do strawberries.

Shalimar is great - if you love it

I've been dead busy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Shalimar is amazing. But I hate marzipan. It makes me sick. So do strawberries.

Shalimar is great - if you love it

May I ask what your favourite ever mans fragrance is? (doesn't have to be one that's been on bid).

OOOooh strawberries and marzipan....I love 'em! Perhaps wouldn't want to smell like them...but perhaps rather that than an old ladies' knicker drawer (Actually don't really know what one of those smells like!) Very interesting thing you said about the light floral fragrances, you're right, they don't stay do they? I thought it was me, but if I think about it, the ones that do stay on my skin are the sexy ones..Liz Taylor's Emeralds and White Diamonds, Red door...but the Diamonds and Sapphires and Violet eyes I need to top up regularly!

Back in the day I used to love the smell of Aramis on a bloke...well there was one particular bloke!

OOOooh strawberries and marzipan....I love 'em! Perhaps wouldn't want to smell like them...but perhaps rather that than an old ladies' knicker drawer (Actually don't really know what one of those smells like!) Very interesting thing you said about the light floral fragrances, you're right, they don't stay do they? I thought it was me, but if I think about it, the ones that do stay on my skin are the sexy ones..Liz Taylor's Emeralds and White Diamonds, Red door...but the Diamonds and Sapphires and Violet eyes I need to top up regularly!

Back in the day I used to love the smell of Aramis on a bloke...well there was one particular bloke!

My husband wears Aramis Merry. I love the smell too

my all time favourites for men are

Tuscany - Aramis, Egoiste - Chanel, Opium for men, YSL and Passion for men - Elizabeth Taylor

Hi Peter
Firstly I have to say how much I enjoy your perfume shows. Your a pleasure to listen to as you clearly adore what you do. And your so interesting too. I know you come in for some flack on here but I think generally people admire your courage of opinion. I certainly do. And I love that you are introducing us to new and interesting perfumes. I think that is what BID has always been about. Providing affordable alternatives. I know some people will scour the internet and try and find it cheaper to highlight bids 'poor value for money' but BID are a business after all. the way I see it is 'would anyone buy an unknown fragrance from an obscure online site?' i don't mind that I might be paying a couple of quid more because I am getting an expert tell me about it. Plus. Is there a single retailer that has the very cheapest price on absolutely everything they sell.? Imagine if you did your weekly shop By going to the place that sells each individual item
the cheapest!

Keep up the great work Peter. I will be ordering the Douvall next time it's on x

Hi Peter
the way I see it is 'would anyone buy an unknown fragrance from an obscure online site?'

To be fair most the price comparisons on here are from 1 of 2 biggest perfume/fragrance retailers in the UK.
I don't mind the prices too much but I do take issue with the "we expected it to go for xxxx amount" malarkey that Peter Simon comes up with almost every sales pitch when a 5 second google search would reveal the going rate is much much lower than what Peter Simon wanted (£34.99 + £7.99 + 1.53 pc = £44.51... for a product that was for sale on a massive fragrance website for less than a £10'er all in.... is a perfect example).
I will say in Peter Sherlocks defence that he didn't join in with the Peter Simon dramatics in regard to the over inflated price pitch, but saying that he must feel uncomfortable with it as Peter Sherlock does seem a decent & genuine guy.

Latest posts

Back