Methylisothiazolinone

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I see your Methylisothiazolinone

and raise you a Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

(I've been in the sun!)

I saw the Bruin stuff in Boots at the weekend including the one the complaints are about. Someone asked on Q FB page if any of their products contained it? The answer was we adhere to EU regulations. Helpful, not.

Oh that is bad Loveinamist!!!!

I use that with no problems. I know the one they are really complaining about in newspaper is the sun cream stuff. New stories everyday about someone reacting.

It's quite worrying this article. I've just realised what has most probably caused the facial irritation I experience on holiday - the Nivea facial wipes.I use them for quickness but after a couple of days, my skin flares up. I've put it down to the heat etc but the Nivea may be partly to blame, or even the cause.

Saying that, I've had similar reaction with the Aldi Lacura facial wipes - wonder if MI is in that product as well? Normally, I find the Aldi Lacura products excellent.

I'm going to check all my stuff but it's in household products as well, isn't it? Oh heck.

I had contact dermatitis patch testing and am highly allergic to this ingredient Methylisothiazolinone - a preservative. I'm also allergic to parabens, fragrance mixes 1 and 2, citral, metals and so on but what one person is allergic to another is not and it doesn't necessarily mean that an ingredient is bad because someone or even a number of people are allergic to it, it just means its not good for the individual concerned and us allergic types are in the minority.

If you are allergic to this ingredient found in many skincare and household items, it probably means you are one of the small number of people who can't use this ingredient compared with the many people who are probably absolutely fine with it.

When I had my patch testing I was using a natural organic hair gel with this in and was so shocked that this was one of the things causing my ongoing allergic reactions. I love the Liz Earle range but can't use everything and always obsessively read ingredient listings these days.

My colleague at work saw the article about this sun cream - she loves it and hopes it isn't discontinued, its one of the few she can use.

It`s hardly surprising skin reactions are on the rise because the ingredients in some skin products read like an A to Z of chemicals. I`ve always had sensitive skin right from being a baby so I grew up knowing less ingredients is often more and using the most basic skincare and makeups. Preservatives are a double edged sword, yes they allow us to stockpile creams etc and to know once opened they have a reasonable time for usage but should that be the case ? I can understand if you`re paying £40 for a jar of cream you`d want it to last but the amount of chemicals and preservatives in them, all being absorbed by our bodies certainly doesn`t seem safe to me, even though they say otherwise. I recently read an article where women who used talcum powder for years had a much higher chance of developing ovarian cancer and who`se to know in years from now, just how many of todays wonder igredients will have a similar effect even though they`ve supposedly been tested. We all have choices and without sounding like a prophet of doom I reckon there`s a timebomb ticking away with long term use of much of today`s skincare but the up side is we`ll all look younger in our coffins !

It's quite worrying this article. I've just realised what has most probably caused the facial irritation I experience on holiday - the Nivea facial wipes.I use them for quickness but after a couple of days, my skin flares up. I've put it down to the heat etc but the Nivea may be partly to blame, or even the cause.

Saying that, I've had similar reaction with the Aldi Lacura facial wipes - wonder if MI is in that product as well? Normally, I find the Aldi Lacura products excellent.

I'm going to check all my stuff but it's in household products as well, isn't it? Oh heck.

I have very sensitive skin but can use the BOOTS wipes (blue pack) without any problem but sorry don't know the ingredients.

The thing is really everyone can have a reaction to different things. One person is fine with X yet another won't be. So how many people world wide does this ingredient effect?????? If only a few hundred at most they will not ban it. Every brand really should put a Patch Test on the box.

Look at hair dye, quiet a few stories over the past few years about reactions to an ingredient in. Now they put in the box patch test 24 hours before using. The same ingredients are in the dyes.

You can bet the Aldi range they are raving about has it. If Palmers Coco Butter does. Its a cheap preserver for cosmetics so even expensive brands are using it.

I've had problems with my hands on and off for a while now. I thought it was eczema which I do occasionally suffer from but just checked and found that Fairy Liquid has this in it. I do use gloves most of the time but do forget now and again. This could be the problem. Thanks for raising this.

wonder if that was in the hand washes I used before I started with the L'Occy liquid soap? I used to get blistery spots and redness in between my fingers.The rash disappeared when I swapped carex for L'Occitane.

Latest posts

Back