Shocking Pressure Tactics From Peter Sherlock

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Wirral70

Registered Shopper
I thought twice about posting this information but I felt it's really important for everyone to know as it demonstrates there are still some very, very serious problems at these channels.

Yesterday at around 1155 Peter Sherlock was selling Prestige Honey 100ml EDP, he had 36 in the quantity. He categorically stated:-

"These are the final 36 in the business, we will be getting more in, i'm not going to say these are the last 36 you'll ever buy but there are not going to be anymore in the business for AT LEAST 2 or 3 weeks'.

At 9.45pm Sally was selling the exact same product and miraculously has 120 in the quantity which he must have knew about as details of this sale were on the website BEFORE Peter made these outrageous comments. And I look at the Bid website today and they have ANOTHER 150 for sale in a TV Auction that closes at 4.51pm.

Disgraceful undue pressure that is completely in breach of the Advertising Code.

http://www.bid.tv/ProductDescriptionPage.aspx?Id=5407698&Cat=4&Sub=37&Type=Categories

That really is bad, there is simply no need for presenters to say such things. I am interested to see what Peter has to say about this, I know he's getting more air time recently.. I just hope he isn't picking up bad habits from certain presenters that struggle to conform to regulations.

That really is bad, there is simply no need for presenters to say such things. I am interested to see what Peter has to say about this, I know he's getting more air time recently.. I just hope he isn't picking up bad habits from certain presenters that struggle to conform to regulations.

I don't want him to explain himself on here Mr M as that wouldn't be appropriate but I just felt it was important for people to be aware so they aren't pressured into buying items because they think it's nearly out of stock. I always take interest when they suggest that, time and time again (particularly with tablets) various presenters have said similar only for the same item to reappear the very same day. It's the first time I have done something about it though.

I appreciate he posts on here and he comes across as a very likable chap but make no mistake, Peter is no angel. Some of his Laurelle sales have been quite terrible although (no doubt because of what people on here have discovered) he is more candid about that 'brand' these days.

Well spotted Wirral, that's definitely one of the more outrageous examples of this practice that, unfortunately, I've heard many Bid presenters use in the past. The fact that management know this sort of bilge that presenters spout is untrue and don't step in to correct them is equally shocking.

Well spotted Wirral, that's definitely one of the more outrageous examples of this practice that, unfortunately, I've heard many Bid presenters use in the past. The fact that management know this sort of bilge that presenters spout is untrue and don't step in to correct them is equally shocking.

It's even worse coming from Peter Sherlock, considering he has stated he bought the product in. He even said he is meeting with the distributor tomorrow to secure it's ongoing exclusivity with Sit Up. So any excuses like he was told by a producer in his earpiece simply won't wash, he couldn't have been more clear that it was the last 36 for a few weeks.

I have a feeling that because the upheld complaints haven't been so frequent of late they may think people are not taking so much notice. I can only speak for myself but I can assure them that I take notice :wink:

Sally just had another 150 bottles of Prestige Honey.

I think i'll rename her Dynamo. She must be a magician because since last night she has pulled 270 bottles out of thin air :grin:

I thought twice about posting this information but I felt it's really important for everyone to know as it demonstrates there are still some very, very serious problems at these channels.

Yesterday at around 1155 Peter Sherlock was selling Prestige Honey 100ml EDP, he had 36 in the quantity. He categorically stated:-

"These are the final 36 in the business, we will be getting more in, i'm not going to say these are the last 36 you'll ever buy but there are not going to be anymore in the business for AT LEAST 2 or 3 weeks'.

At 9.45pm Sally was selling the exact same product and miraculously has 120 in the quantity which he must have knew about as details of this sale were on the website BEFORE Peter made these outrageous comments. And I look at the Bid website today and they have ANOTHER 150 for sale in a TV Auction that closes at 4.51pm.

Disgraceful undue pressure that is completely in breach of the Advertising Code.

http://www.bid.tv/ProductDescriptionPage.aspx?Id=5407698&Cat=4&Sub=37&Type=Categories

Thank you for sharing this Wirral, if you want my opinion you were 100% right to share this. Somethings are not black and white, open to interpretation and could not be as bad as one person takes it to be. This is not the case with this. This is black and white, totally wrong and inexcusable. Unlike you though I would like to hear from Peter on here about this as we have no other way of getting his opnion. I am sure he wouldn't answer it on his Facebook page. I would also like to hear from the bid fan club and what they make of this.

Keep up the good work bud.

PJ

Thank you for sharing this Wirral, if you want my opinion you were 100% right to share this. Somethings are not black and white, open to interpretation and could not be as bad as one person takes it to be. This is not the case with this. This is black and white, totally wrong and inexcusable. Unlike you though I would like to hear from Peter on here about this as we have no other way of getting his opnion. I am sure he wouldn't answer it on his Facebook page. I would also like to hear from the bid fan club and what they make of this.

Keep up the good work bud.

PJ

Thanks PJ but I wouldn't hold your breath for a response on here. It dosen't matter anyway, they can explain themselves to the ASA and OFCOM.

That'll do me.

Prestige Honey now seems to be out of stock.

Odd that isn't it? (it makes no difference if it's been pulled though, the complaint was submitted the moment I saw Sally selling another 120 of them!).

And I have a recording from yesterday of her selling another 150!

I'm beginning to worry about Peter Sherlock, something clearly seems to be affecting his memory.

He just flipped because Red Sexxy Shoo went for £5.99 and he started running around the studio going 'whoooa!' then added 'I don't know if I have ever seen it go this low, ever'. Actually it has, yesterday morning just before midday.

In fact, he sold it :headbang:

I'm beginning to worry about Peter Sherlock, something clearly seems to be affecting his memory.

He just flipped because Red Sexxy Shoo went for £5.99 and he started running around the studio going 'whoooa!' then added 'I don't know if I have ever seen it go this low, ever'. Actually it has, yesterday morning just before midday.

In fact, he sold it :headbang:

Shocking behaviour. I don't mean this in a wind up way but I genuinely would like to know what the bid fan club make of this.

Shocking behaviour. I don't mean this in a wind up way but I genuinely would like to know what the bid fan club make of this.

I'm just glad that, at last, they are finally selling that product for a realistic price.

I saw it go for around £30 before christmas, plus P+P :eek:

Up to the same old tricks salesman are ghastly people.

He said he is meeting Alicia Douvall at 3pm,

I do hope he remembers to meet up with Prestige Parfums today to secure that exclusivity deal, it would be terrible if his memory lets him down for that :grin:

"sale must end Sunday"
"sale extended 1 more week"
"sale must end Saturday"
"sale must end now on Sunday - extended due to demand"

Retailers use this tactic blatantly all the time to make us buy. It's very clever and very common. Unfortunately I don't think BID are actually that daft as to purposely and knowingly suggest a 'last of stock" situation when they are aware of more in the schudual. Sorry. But i think this is little more than a mistake. A poor one. But still a mistake.

"sale must end Sunday"
"sale must end Saturday"

Retailers use this tactic blatantly all the time to make us buy. It's very clever and very common. Unfortunately I don't think BID are actually that daft as to purposely and knowingly suggest a 'last of stock" situation when they are aware of more in the schudual. Sorry. But i think this is little more than a mistake. A poor one. But still a mistake.

Then they should say so to the ASA, and nothing else. I have long said i'd have much more respect for them if they just admit it when they get things wrong and apologise, rather than their constant attempts to wriggle out of complaints. I suspect that often it's their denial that results in a formal investigation rather than resolving the issue informally.

We'll see.

Last edited:
"sale must end Sunday"
"sale must end Saturday"

If this was the first or even second of third time I would agree with you but I can think of off the top of my head at least 30 times when they do an auction, people loose out and then the amazing Bob from the warehouse finds another 100 of the stock. This is IMHO not a mistake they are doing it to create a buzz around a product and making money off of the phone calls of people missing out as well as pressure selling.

You are right though, Bid are not the only one to do this. Online and physical retail shops do similar. Things like the constant must end soon DFS sale. IMHO they don't come anywhere near as bad as Bid and two wrongs don't make a right anyway. Also this is ShoppingTelly.com not AnyShop.com which is why we talk about bid more.

PJ

Then they should say so to the ASA, and nothing else. I have long said i'd have much more respect for them if they just admit it when they get things wrong and apologise, rather than their constant attempts to wriggle out of complaints. I suspect that often it's their denial that results in a formal investigation rather than resolving the issue informally.

We'll see.

Surely you don't expect ANY company to defend an ASA complaint with "sorry. Our mistake. It won't happen again"? They have the right to offer an explanation as does every retailer. You might not agree with their explanation. Or more to the point, take issue with the fact they have dared have one. But thankfully this is the society we live in. A society where the accused have the right to defend themselves.

Surely you don't expect ANY company to defend an ASA complaint with "sorry. Our mistake. It won't happen again"? They have the right to offer an explanation as does every retailer. You might not agree with their explanation. Or more to the point, take issue with the fact they have dared have one. But thankfully this is the society we live in. A society where the accused have the right to defend themselves.

You're not making any sense Bingo. If, as you suggest, it was merely a mistake then surely they should just say so?

You don't have to defend yourself against a mistake. You just say 'we got it wrong', then the case could possibly be dealt with informally. I would accept their apology and agree to close the case. End of story.

But that hasn't happened in the past. Hopefully it will happen this time as, trust me, there is absolutely no ambiguity with this 'mistake'.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back