BID TV - Best value shopping channel

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

bingowings

Registered Shopper
If you judge BID by the products that are sold by other shopping channels they are by far the best value retailer:
- Philosophy makeup
- Yonanas
- Steam mops
- Steam cleaners
-Floating candles
- Halogen ovens
- Karcher
-memory foam

And a few more too.

I know they sell some odd and cheapy items. But even with their delivery charges they are still better value than the Q and IW.

Some of the steam mops seem very good value, and much better than an expensive Vax model we bought. The Yonanas was a great deal even if it was sold in Winter (and clearly at an introductory price for Yonanas to test the water, so to speak) but unfortunately they no longer seem to sell it.

I think when Bid do 'branded' goods they usually offer them at a good price but often it is a job lot that you don't see again. The Philosophy make up is a good example, that product isn't even sold in the UK so I would be surprised if they sell it regularly.

But sadly the bargains are far outweighed by the expensive tatt. Two rubber pet hair brushes, two ID stamps and 4 plastic microwave egg cookers for nearly £11 all in dosen't seem good value to me. The very low end Solar Lighting is very expensive and 'Expose' false tan that is sold in Poundland. You could buy 8 of each in there just for the P+P alone.

And lets remember the Dongle, which I remember selling for £50 all in not so long ago :eek: And gold plated Tanzanite jewellery before christmas for hundreds of pounds is, quite frankly, scandalous and resulted in much negative feedback on their facebook pages that was swiftly deleted.

Last edited:
Some of the steam mops seem very good value, and much better than an expensive Vax model we bought. The Yonanas was a great deal even if it was sold in Winter (and clearly at an introductory price for Yonanas to test the water, so to speak) but unfortunately they no longer seem to sell it.

I think when Bid do 'branded' goods they usually offer them at a good price but often it is a job lot that you don't see again. The Philosophy make up is a good example, that product isn't even sold in the UK so I would be surprised if they sell it regularly.

But sadly the bargains are far outweighed by the expensive tatt. Two rubber pet hair brushes, two ID stamps and 4 plastic microwave egg cookers for nearly £11 all in dosen't seem good value to me. The very low end Solar Lighting is very expensive and 'Expose' false tan that is sold in Poundland. You could buy 8 of each in there just for the P+P alone.

And lets remember the Dongle, which I remember selling for £50 all in not so long ago :eek: And gold plated Tanzanite jewellery before christmas for hundreds of pounds is, quite frankly, scandalous and resulted in much negative feedback on their facebook pages that was swiftly deleted.

yonanas is now being sold on ideal world... don't know what the price difference is though

Totally agree! I realise they've got to make a profit, but surely they could do a few deals with some of the lower end stuff...It's all very well selling the egg cookers for a pound or a penny, but it still amounts to nearly a tenner when all said and done, and I have to ask myself would I be prepared to part with £9 or £10 to buy a set of plastic egg cookers and the answer would have to be no, however, if they were to do a deal where you could buy more than one item for one p&p then I may be tempted in to trying some of these things. They do these offers already from time to time but, they make sure that you can only order via the phone so that's more than £3 spent already, and you're obviously restricted to what comes up on the show. If they extended it to online purchases one could browse for things they really want and save on the phone call - I'm sure it wouldn't hurt them to do this from time to time!

The genuine bargains with top brands on the whole seem to be sold in stupid quantities like 2 or 3 so they more than make up the loss in missed out customers phone calls. Then they bring out some tat and sell in the 100's. clever selling got to give them that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

The genuine bargains with top brands on the whole seem to be sold in stupid quantities like 2 or 3 so they more than make up the loss in missed out customers phone calls. Then they bring out some tat and sell in the 100's. clever selling got to give them that.

Do you really think their entire business strategy and model is based around makIng a handful of pound coins per product on people calling for products that have sold out? I have heard some waffle but that's just in a league of it's own.

Do you really think their entire business strategy and model is based around makIng a handful of pound coins per product on people calling for products that have sold out? I have heard some waffle but that's just in a league of it's own.

Yes. Yes I do. But I am willing to bet it is in the hundreds of missed bids. For example the halogen oven recently went for a good price but they had 3 in the auction. If this wasn't their model why not just add £1.53 to the product cost and have an 0845 number? Thought so.

A handful of pound coins? per item - sure adds up, and they know it! Yes I believe this sort of strategy is most definitely part of the business plan, though it won't be on record as being so. Locked lines for fairness, different phone numbers, phone lines "going down" on a regular basis (though to be fair, I haven't seen this happen for a while) - Don't make me laugh, it has nothing to do with fairness - I mean why would they? Surely they've got items to sell and it's first come, first served,the same as it is everywhere - In fact it still is with "locked lines" only it's adding that little bit of pressure on the customer, who will now be thinking it's a race "Quick 5-4-3-2-1 Dial!" instead of them thinking...mmmm, that looks good, shall I?, shan't I? - Nah!

I'm begining to find your defence of Bid's every little foible in a league of its own too!

Bid make a HUGE amount of money from their phonecalls - people calling the wrong number for DOTD, people dialling and changing their mind, people calling and missing out, the times when they have a megadrop and sell only 2 or 3 items...

I think it was Peter Simon who once said they had people calling the wrong number for the DOTD - he said something like we've had about 30 of you diailing the wrong number - this all adds up very quickly....

The most annoying thing about "locking the phone lines to make it fair" is they then talk about the product for a good 5 minutes whilst watching those calls come flooding in. it is nothing short of corrupt IMHO. Please note Bid fans that O stands for opinion.

PJ

I bought my Karcher window vac from IW, when it was a Pick of the Day. It came with 2 heads and bottles of cleaning solution and was cheaper than the recent one that was on Bid. The P&P was also cheaper and, because I ordered it online, there was no phone call charge.

I agree that the Yonanas was a good deal on Bid, but I don't want one so didn't take advantage of the deal.

I will add that I have been pleased with the things that I've bought from the SitUp channels in the past, although I've only bought a handful of items in the past couple of years.

A handful of pound coins? per item - sure adds up, and they know it! Yes I believe this sort of strategy is most definitely part of the business plan, though it won't be on record as being so. Locked lines for fairness, different phone numbers, phone lines "going down" on a regular basis ([/B

I think maybe you have been watching a little too much conspiracy TV.

]though to be fair, I haven't seen this happen for a while) - Don't make me laugh, it has nothing to do with fairness - I mean why would they? Surely they've got items to sell and it's first come, first served,the same as it is everywhere - In fact it still is with "locked lines" only it's adding that little bit of pressure on the customer,
I know i keep reminding people. but they are a RETAILER. a business. they are not a charity. they are there to make money.

who will now be thinking it's a race "Quick 5-4-3-2-1 Dial!" instead of them thinking...mmmm, that looks good, shall I?, shan't I? - Nah!

I'm begining to find your defence of Bid's every little foible in a league of its own too!

Im critical of bId when they merit it. but some of the accusations are just utter nonsense. to suggest they purposely want people to dial the wrong number? or that they want people to miss out? i think it shows a complete lack of commercial sense to suggest anything like that would be in their business model.

Van Cleef & Arpels Feerie Rose EDT 30ml £14.99 + £9.52 = £24.51
(Sally bought this with her own money).........from the biggest and best tv discount channel.........or

£13.98 + free delivery at 123hairandbeauty.co.uk

Van Cleef & Arpels Feerie Rose EDT 30ml £14.99 + £9.52 = £24.51
(Sally bought this with her own money).........from the biggest and best tv discount channel.........or

£13.98 + free delivery at 123hairandbeauty.co.uk

Another cracker from the UK's biggest discount channels.

[/B]

Im critical of bId when they merit it. but some of the accusations are just utter nonsense. to suggest they purposely want people to dial the wrong number? or that they want people to miss out? i think it shows a complete lack of commercial sense to suggest anything like that would be in their business model.

Merry makes perfect sense to me. Just in case you missed my question. If they weren't in the business of making money from missed or incorrect calls, why not have an 0845 number instead of the ones they have and then add 75p (BT take half the call charge) onto the product? Who would grumble at under a pound on a bill. No they do it this way to make money pure and simple just like they make the p&p double most other companies so that if the person returns an item the loose out on nearly £10.

You may not agree with Merry but she is talking far more sense than you on this issue.

PJ

They just locked the phonelines yet again for some really, really crap gold plated, unidentified base metal earrings. They needn't have bothered, 50 in the quantity and they had 23 left.

I'm sure there's a method in their madness :wink:

Latest posts

Back