Not mentioning the "C word"...by mentioning the "C word"

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Goodluckifyageddit

Registered Shopper
I'm on about ****** Christmas, of course...and today Caroline Lyndsay suggested that the candle gift set she was selling might be perfect to "put away for later...and I'm not even going to mention the "C word", because that would be terrible of me to do that as it's only July"

Of course it's terrible, love. There I was having a perfectly pleasant day, the only thing on my mind... trying to finish my Cornetto before it melted away over my fingers... and you had to ruin it - you are shameless, Lyndsay !

Last edited:
I'm on about ****** Christmas, of course...and today Caroline Lyndsay suggested that the candle gift set she was selling might be perfect to "put away for later...and I'm not even going to mention the "C word", because that would be terrible of me to do that as it's only July"

Of course it's terrible, love. There I was having a perfectly pleasant day, the only thing on my mind... trying to finish my Cornetto before it melted away over my fingers... and you had to ruin it - you are shameless, Lyndsay !

I have heard a few of them mention the 'C' word! However, you certainly won't want to tune into QVC on Wednesday and Thursday :eek:

http://www.qvcuk.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProgramGuideWeeklyView?storeId=10252

I just never understand the hype. Its one day for god sake! Here in France there is no mention of it before 1st December and that suits me fine. I will definitely not be tuning in on Wednesday or Thursday.

I just never understand the hype. Its one day for god sake! Here in France there is no mention of it before 1st December and that suits me fine. I will definitely not be tuning in on Wednesday or Thursday.

I don't understand it either. Sure, for the little ones it's a magical time and fun but these days I really can't be arsed with it. Rather have a family meal, no presents and make a donation to someone who really would benefit :up:

I don't understand it either. Sure, for the little ones it's a magical time and fun but these days I really can't be arsed with it. Rather have a family meal, no presents and make a donation to someone who really would benefit :up:

Indeed Paul. I have a colleague who has been working all the overtime she can get just to pay off the bills from LAST christmas. What's more, she hasn't even got any kids :eek:

I'd hate to think what she spent!

Indeed Paul. I have a colleague who has been working all the overtime she can get just to pay off the bills from LAST christmas. What's more, she hasn't even got any kids :eek:

I'd hate to think what she spent!

I wonder how it'll go down if I buy my close relatives an orange or lump of coal this year? :grin:

I wonder how it'll go down if I buy my close relatives an orange or lump of coal this year? :grin:

Why don't you watch Alan & Barry and make them some presents?

Actually, they'll probably prefer the oranges and coal. :giggle:

This is just a guess. But I think they might 'hype' up Christmas as early in the calendar as possible because they are actually a retail business? And retail businesses make 80% of their years revenue from the peak trading period? And maybe because retail is on it's knees due to the economy being in the toilet, retailers like BID are trying to get to that peak trading period as soon as they can to try and survive? If it's a toss up between mentioning baurbles in July and being made redundant I think I would probably opt for the baubles.

This is just a guess. But I think they might 'hype' up Christmas as early in the calendar as possible because they are actually a retail business? And retail businesses make 80% of their years revenue from the peak trading period? And maybe because retail is on it's knees due to the economy being in the toilet, retailers like BID are trying to get to that peak trading period as soon as they can to try and survive? If it's a toss up between mentioning baurbles in July and being made redundant I think I would probably opt for the baubles.

When I worked in retail I found that summer (holiday period) was just as good as Christmas time for making serious money, suppose it depends on your target audience.

I once knew a woman who would put her tree up in November and loved to start her shopping early, she was Christmas crazy.

She said to me........'but I don't like Christmas Day, cos it's all over then'

Just up Bid's street. Unfortunately she doesn't watch :sad:

I once knew a woman who would put her tree up in November and loved to start her shopping early, she was Christmas crazy.

She said to me........'but I don't like Christmas Day, cos it's all over then'

Just up Bid's street. Unfortunately she doesn't watch :sad:

It will be interesting to see how this new, forced upon them 'honesty' will affect them. As regular viewers will know their behaviour leading upto the last holiday was nothing short of disgraceful, particularly with multibuy sales, tanzanite that was gold plated and a certain brand of fragrance that was supposedly the next big thing.

But it came back to bite them though :happy:

I put my tree up on 1st of December & take it down on boxing days evening, I hate taking it down as the rooms always look so empty & dull afterwards. I do have one Christmas ornament that stays up all year round which is one of these:

2liaozr.jpg

Even if you dislike Christmas... everybody should love Disney :mysmilie_852:

Last edited:
I put my tree up on 1st of December & take it down on boxing days evening, I hate taking it down as the rooms always look so empty & dull afterwards. I do have one Christmas ornament that stays up all year round which is one of these:

x1c6yg.jpg

Even if you dislike Christmas... everybody should love Disney :mysmilie_852:

Is that a Kinkade? :giggle:

attention Mr Mobo. I have it on good authority (elve) that leaving up Christmas decorations (no matter how nice they look) will bring untold bad luck for you and 100 generations of your family tree. :sad: :giggle:

I would hardly call July a peak trading period when it comes to Christmas! Unless of course, rock bottom prices and extra special deals are being offered - Just a guess, but I would say in this instance, it's not the case, and another teensy guess might make me think that the larger amount of viewers may become irritated by such an early mention (can you tell I effing hate xmas yet?) and perhaps switch channels!

You filled yer stockings yet BW?

Latest posts

Back