Sonic jewellery cleaner

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

loveallthingsitalian

Registered Shopper
I remember when I first watched Q these cleaners seemed to be on often (and IW) but haven't seen them for a while.

I have a lot of silver jewellery which seems suddenly to have started to tarnish after many years being ok. There is far far too much to use those preserve (?) things they sold so I thought maybe one of the sonic ones might be the answer. Amazon seem to have them so I wondered if anyone had any experience of them.

Thanks in advance

They have something similar at Lakeland shop in Windermere not sure how much they are though.

I use a sonic cleaner and have had no problems with any of the jewellery that I've cleaned in it. I don't own any pearls or opals, but any pieces with stones in them have survived with no problem.

I don't think a few sound waves would harm a diamond! I'm not so sure about QVC's cubic zirconia, but I imagine it would be OK as the hardness of CZ is theoretically similar on the MOHS scale of hardness. If you've got an ultrasonic toothbrush you could try that! The funny thing is I have a silver curb chain that I have worn every day for the last 10 years. Why hasn't it tarnished? I only ever took it off when I had my shoulder operation.

I love my sonic cleaner but for silver there's a cheaper method. Get a container and add some really hot water, a tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda, salt and some tin foil. Add your silver and leave for a minute or so. You should see it bubbling and it brings the silver up bright and shiny!:nod:

I bought the banana jewellery cleaner from IW, David Bradford stuff and its actually very good. I`ve also heard that sonics are good but you can`t always see with the naked eye if a stone has a small crack or tiny chip in it or if its slightly loose and if so then the sonic can loosen the stone out of its setting. I think the softer stones would be more at risk of this but your average diamond, ruby, sapphire or CZ would be ok.

What I meant is the settings. The sonic thing can make them loose over time, also certain soft stones can crack.

They banana one now known as the Dave Bradford one is brilliant. I still use it after buying from IW years back. I got the giant bottle, plus filled tub, a spray and a anti tarnish bottle. The latter keeps drying out but I add a drop of hot water to it.

I got one from Maplins a year or two back - admittedly I don't fetch it out much but it works ok, good for cleaning your specs too if you happen to wear them, which I do!

Latest posts

Back