Presenters who do too much of the talking

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

T

thatu

Guest Shopper
Aren't they trained to shut up and let their guests speak more, especially when the guests are much more knowledgeable about their goods? And fewer presenters means more air time for those that are left, which means I'm switching over more and more to avoid watching one self-important person banging on about a product that their guest knows so much more about. As for books written by presenters - I'm paying for their air time selling their own stuff! Does this irritate anyone else as much?

I rarely watch these days but I did tune in for the Kipling teatime hour yesterday - when I saw Anne Dawson I reached for the mute button..far too much yap..M-F is younger, prettier, and definitely knows more about Kiplings than AD does!

Welcome thatu, I'm sure you'll fit right in! I couldn't agree more; the guests should be allowed to speak and the presenters should be there just to prompt with questions or when the spiel starts to dry up. Sadly they seem to think their thoughts are more important to us than real info about the products.

For viewers the premise that the guest is there to inform and advise is all smoke and mirrors...it's a sales ploy. The name of the game is to shift stock. It is and always will be about money and profit. If the QVC presenter aka sales rep can shift more stock by jumping in with the usual hard sells pitch, with the aid of the talk back from the team in the gallery, they will. There is nothing they won't do or say to get a sale and then ultimately more money in their pockets and profits for QVC.

I do enjoy relaxed presentations just for viewing pleasure, it's like window shopping. If the patter gets to yappy and loud, I switch over.

Totally agree Huggles, the presenter is just the 'mouth-piece' for the talk-back team in the Gallery........ "its now limited stock..........we are now going to the phones.............over 100 of you have jumped to the phones...........ways to pay.................how to order" - its pretty obvious when they interrupt the guest that someone has shouted in their earpiece to give the necessary spiel. Jill Franks I think is the worst, she doesn't give the guest a chance to finish his sentence before she blurts out her next instruction !

I have barely bought a product a month this year, whereas in years gone by I had several parcels a week delivered, - and I cant believe that I'm the only one, so Q must be feeling the pinch like the rest of the retailing world.

It does annoy me when the presenters butt in when the guests are explaining something. Some are worse then others, Jill Franks being one of them and Alison Young.:taphead:

I thought they were just supposed to ask the questions that we would if we were there but we get personal info sales figures and general twaddle that sometimes has nothing to do with what they are selling!!

Like many others, I am also watching the Q less and less these days. If there is a tsv I think I may be interested in, mainly technology, I will tune in, or if I'm waiting for a specific product to come back on air. I don't think this has anything to do with the presenters, rather I've got other/better things to do than watch QVC.

Debbie Flint annoyed me when the TSV for the Kindle was on, she kept on about her book being available if anyone wanted to buy or download it any chance she got! :down:

I am absolutely sick of hearing about Debbie Flint's bliddy book-she never misses an opportunity to plug it. I'm surprised she doesn't say to buy 2 and read it twice!

Claire Sutton also irritated me yesterday squeeling and gushing and wittering on and on-but her face was sooooo orange it was totally off putting and clashed rather badly with her hair!!

I was watching the TSV of Yankee Candles last night with Rosa and Craig. I did find myself talking at the telly, telling Craig to shut up and let Rosa speak. He asks her a question and when she is trying to reply, he just buts in, totally not listening to her or interested in what she has to say. That did kind of bug me quite a bit.

Inge :)

yes, that is what it is all about Brissles. article in financial section of Telegraph today about Q, they have an annual turnover of £404 million, but does not say what the profit is. they employ over 1000 staff including Liverpool.

Tom from Alpha H was trying to tell us something interesting today and I really wanted to hear what he was saying but Alison Young kept rudely interrupting him mid sentence, so he never did get to finish what he was trying to explain.

The guests used to say "if you'll let me finish" - I think Jill Gauntlet might have been the last one I heard say that lol. Now they just get talked over.

Now QVC, please let Rosa and the lovely male guest talk about Yankee - let them talk, let them tell us about their product. We don't want to know what a sensation Craig has in his bathroom thank you.

When it's gardening, let George Clowes talk please. What a lovely man and I buy his products from his own company as well as Q so I'm buying anyway. Let him speak.

There's others. There used to be that nice guy from NY who did the gems and jewellery show. I'd love him to return but he probably won't because he's not allowed to talk!

Please read this QVC. The guest usually sells me the product, not the presenter, e.g. how many kitchen products have I bought from Simon and Jilly while Charlie Brook is filling his gob??

CC

Totally agree Huggles, the presenter is just the 'mouth-piece' for the talk-back team in the Gallery........ "its now limited stock..........we are now going to the phones.............over 100 of you have jumped to the phones...........ways to pay.................how to order" - its pretty obvious when they interrupt the guest that someone has shouted in their earpiece to give the necessary spiel. Jill Franks I think is the worst, she doesn't give the guest a chance to finish his sentence before she blurts out her next instruction !

I have barely bought a product a month this year, whereas in years gone by I had several parcels a week delivered, - and I cant believe that I'm the only one, so Q must be feeling the pinch like the rest of the retailing world.

I have bought even less; probably about three things this year; I used to buy much more.

Agree with others but also finding that there are far too many guests as well, especially those who sell anything from a windchime to a mobile phone, rather than fronting one particular brand.
Much prefer Carla, MF, Nicki , Ginetta who know their product colours, sizes etc, Even though I don't watch very many beauty shows but at least hey have one guest one brand.

Two presenters together can be entertaining as long as they are not trying to outdo each other in the hard sell shouting stakes.

I just want someone to give me size details before they have sold out, get the colour right, speak slowly and stop shouting and tweeting - is it too much to ask for?

If she's not talking about her book or just happening to have it at the top of a pile of books she's using to demonstrate something else, it's odd that at least one of her guests (Lee Hohbein, the computer guy and maybe more, I don't watch 24/7) also just happened to mention it when they were on air together.

Last edited:
Agree with others but also finding that there are far too many guests as well, especially those who sell anything from a windchime to a mobile phone, rather than fronting one particular brand.
Much prefer Carla, MF, Nicki , Ginetta who know their product colours, sizes etc, Even though I don't watch very many beauty shows but at least hey have one guest one brand.

Two presenters together can be entertaining as long as they are not trying to outdo each other in the hard sell shouting stakes.

I just want someone to give me size details before they have sold out, get the colour right, speak slowly and stop shouting and tweeting - is it too much to ask for?

that ****** abby horne... it's like they bring her in and she does a 5 for 1 special. with her "read from wiki" drawl.

I've been reading the forum for a week or so but wanted to add my tuppence worth to this discussion so this is my first post. We used to order a lot from QVC also but I now find myself switching over a lot too due to the same drivel going on and on. Ultimately we all know it is a sales channel and they will want to sell as many products as possible but the way they are going about it now is far less surreptitious and blatant aggression now.

Each clearly has their own style whether its Jill with her useless ranting, wheezing monologues or Charlie........Brook, or Debbie Flint with that blinking book! The problem is that perhaps I've become immune to it so I see through it quite easily these days. I still say Flint should be pulled by Ofcom regarding inappropriate promotion of product for that book.

I'm also finding too many of the guests far too annoying these days too. Lee Hobhein claims to be a technology expert but if you look at his website, its a content management system where he's only edited the front page but left the others with default content and there's been times where he's said things that just don't make sense. Mat Trim must be the worst photographer in the world when his backup camera happens to be a compact or a bridge camera that Q just happen to have on sale that particular day. (yes I've outed myself as a tech geek) and as others have said, the same guests just seem to end up promoting anything and everything and seems to be due to maybe not being able to attract guests or some real experts are averse to some of the tactics they want them to use.

There are still the odd gems that do show up, but i can't help but feeling the business model is now to sell as much as they can of their own products as these other names again perhaps due to not being able to attract independent brands.

Anyway, hello from me and looking forward to more interactions as at least here we can speak honestly unlike on the Q facebook page.

Hello numanoids and welcome to ST, always nice to have new members here we don't exclude :happy:

Latest posts

Back