Is it worth paying for a Kitchenaid food mixer?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

still18inmyhead

Registered Shopper
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but my hubby and I have recently started to do a lot more cooking together. Up until now, we have not had a food mixer. I have been looking all over at them and am very confused. Can anyone recommend a really good food mixer for making bread as well as cakes and biscuits please. Also, can you tell me if Kitchenaid are really worth the money (I was looking at the Artisan for just over £400.)

Thank you. :thinking:

I bought the Classic about a year ago when it was the TSV - complete with the veggie attachments:

http://www.qvcuk.com/KitchenAid-Cla...tra-3L-Bowl-&-Attachments.product.833719.html

I love it... especially for buttercream which is sooooo light.

I haven't used the dough hook as I use a bread maker so can't vouch for that.

If you do a lot of baking then, yes, it is definitely worth it... plus, the grater attachment is absolutely brilliant for carrots and cheese - my two favourite grated things! It is much, much easier to clean than a processor with attachments.

A Kitchenaid is a big investment, but most people who have made the investment, just love it. I think the following questions will help answer the question for your specific circumstances:

1. Do you cook/bake a lot? I use my Kitchenaid at least twice a week.
2. Do you ever need to bake larger quantities eg a 10" or above cake? If you also buy a larger capacity bowl (such as the glass bowl), you'll bless the day that you bought a Kitchenaid if you bake larger cakes
3. Is it important to you to have a really stylish piece of Kitchen equipment out in your kitchen? This is not a facile question, if having nice things in your kithcen gives you pleasure, then your Kirchenaid will warm your heart too every time you use it.

I'm a big KithcenAid fan, but then I am also a keen baker and cake decorator (so often make large or multi-layer cakes). I can honestly say that my KitchenAid is the best stand mixer I've ever had. However, (and I've said this before too), my second best stand mixer ever was a second-hand Kenwood Chef that I bought for £40. It must have been at least 20 years old when I bought it as a student, and I kept it for another 10 years, then sold it on myself (stupid decision, bought something new that wasn't half as good). My point is, if looks are not important to you but value for money is, buy a second hand Kenwood. However, don't do this if every time you use it or look at it, you wish you'd bought a Kitchenaid.

Don't waste your money on anything else other than Kitchenaid or Kenwood.

You can see some of my bakes on m blog http://www.dipsdesigns.com/p/cakes-sweet-treats.html

Oh, and one of the best places to buy is Harts of Stur. HTH!

A Kitchenaid is a big investment, but most people who have made the investment, just love it. I think the following questions will help answer the question for your specific circumstances:

1. Do you cook/bake a lot? I use my Kitchenaid at least twice a week.
2. Do you ever need to bake larger quantities eg a 10" or above cake? If you also buy a larger capacity bowl (such as the glass bowl), you'll bless the day that you bought a Kitchenaid if you bake larger cakes
3. Is it important to you to have a really stylish piece of Kitchen equipment out in your kitchen? This is not a facile question, if having nice things in your kithcen gives you pleasure, then your Kirchenaid will warm your heart too every time you use it.

I'm a big KithcenAid fan, but then I am also a keen baker and cake decorator (so often make large or multi-layer cakes). I can honestly say that my KitchenAid is the best stand mixer I've ever had. However, (and I've said this before too), my second best stand mixer ever was a second-hand Kenwood Chef that I bought for £40. It must have been at least 20 years old when I bought it as a student, and I kept it for another 10 years, then sold it on myself (stupid decision, bought something new that wasn't half as good). My point is, if looks are not important to you but value for money is, buy a second hand Kenwood. However, don't do this if every time you use it or look at it, you wish you'd bought a Kitchenaid.

Don't waste your money on anything else other than Kitchenaid or Kenwood.

You can see some of my bakes on m blog http://www.dipsdesigns.com/p/cakes-sweet-treats.html

Oh, and one of the best places to buy is Harts of Stur. HTH!

Hi Dips - thank you for your reply. We went through a sticky patch after 19 years of marriage, and earlier this year went on holiday to see if we could work things out. We had a fabulous time and realised that the main problem with our marriage was that with all the things going on in our lives, we didn't spend any "us time" together. So we decided to make a pact that every weekend we would spend some quality time together. We both like to cook and now want to start to do more cooking together. Hence why we want a mixer. So yes, it will get used a lot. And I do like things to look good so I think it would be a good buy for us. BTW, I love your site and will be following you from now on. Not sure I can ever make any cakes as good as yours (not very artistic) but will be having a go.

Well then, it sounds like a Kitchenaid will be perfect for you, and you'll still be using it when you celebrate your Golden Wedding Anniversary (you can use it to bake your celebration cake)!

I can recommend the glass mixing bowl and the combined rubber spatula/beater is a must if you bake.

And thank you for your kind words on my cakes, I do love making them but it's not conducive to my dieting efforts!

Yes, I'd second getting the extra flex edge beater attachment as it does catch all the ingredients better than the standard one.

I plunged and bought a baby pink one to match my kitchen (how shallow) but its fabulous to use, and if there are any doubts by anyone - just look at all those Kitchenaids on the worktops of the Great British Bake Off !!!! they obviously use the best.

TW, you always make me want the grater attachment, which I cannot justify as I also have a Kitchenaid food processor with grater plates (but it doesn't stop me from having attachment envy :wink:)

TW, you always make me want the grater attachment, which I cannot justify as I also have a Kitchenaid food processor with grater plates (but it doesn't stop me from having attachment envy :wink:)

You NEED that grater attachment :handshake:. I've got a Kenwood Processor with all the discs but it is an absolute beggar to clean... the mixer grater attachment is so easy to fit on the machine and a doddle to clean after... even with cheese. BEST thing about it... even better than the mixer itself... but that's because I love grated carrot (and cheese).

Go on, go on, go on...

Thank you to all of you. We are going to go for a Kitchenaid. Just wondering if QVC are planning a TSV before Christmas.

If you're not fussed on colour then consider the Classic from QVC - there are some good bundles with extra bits... or Harts of Stur have some deals on some colours:

http://www.hartsofstur.com/acatalog/Kitchenaid_Artisan_Mixer.html

Personally, I'd recommend the following extras (as well as the grater attachment):

Extra smaller capacity bowl - better for smaller quantities.

Flex edge beater

As any extras are really pricey it is worth trying to get a bundle if possible.

This one is the Classic with an extra bowl and grater for £459.

http://www.qvcuk.com/KitchenAid-Cla...=833719-SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-54-_-833719

Accessories are cheaper from Harts of Stur... got my extra bowl and Ice Cream attachment from there.

Thank you to all of you. We are going to go for a Kitchenaid. Just wondering if QVC are planning a TSV before Christmas.

They never do the Artisan as a TSV (suspect that John Lewis have had an influence on that one). Have a look at Harts, they're prices are great (but no easy pay).

Is it worth paying for a KitchenAid food mixer? Frankly NO! Quite why anyone would shell out hundreds of pounds to have one of those great big things cluttering up their worktop is beyond me! "Oooooh it's got a dough hook!" BIG DEAL! "Oooh th bowl stays formly in place." WHAT, LIKE THAT ISN'T A STANDARD REQUIREMENT?!!!!!!! I'm sure a value one from Argos would be quite adequate for most needs. The kind of people that have a KitchenAid are the same people that would have a Miele washing machine that you can wash a daffodil in! The cost-to-benefit ratio seems a little disproportionate. Sorry but I'm not planning to be washing any tulips / roses, so please don't try and use this particular function to try and make me fork out £1300 for a stupid washing machine cos I just ain't interested!

I have a kenwood chef titanium which is the highest spec for kenwood. you usually get a glass full size liquidiser and a food processor which I dont like using as its awkward to clean. but I have a separate braun multpractic that I would still replace as I love using it 30 years on still going good. I use my kenwood at least twice a week. only buy a food mixer if you bake bread,cakes etc then you wil love the speed and efficiency of a top end mixer kenwood or kitchenaid. buy the best you can afford of both these brands. which did a report recently. I boun=ut mine from amazon for £230 these go from £500 so shp around. amazon also sell kitchenaid. and don't buy it unless you have a counter for it. they are heavy cast iron. I had my new kitchen designed so I had a special spot for my mixer. enjoy

Ummmm...... I actually have a Miele washing machine/dryer. Bought it with a 10 year guarantee from John Lewis just before I retired, and I expect it to outlive me ! Personally I cant be doing with buying cheap and replacing after a couple of years, or having to deal with continual breakdowns. I did all that in my youth, and perhaps when Julius is of an age when he can afford to buy the best, he might well do so too !

well I am odd I would not buy a miele washing machine but I love a good quality food mixer

Isn't it the same with a lot of things? Does anyone *need* a Rolls Royce when a Citroen will still get you from A to B?

Whenever I buy something I try to research it first.. For reliability and usability... I'll buy the best for my needs and my budget.

Back to the Kitchenaid, as a lot of people have said, this is a machine for a baking enthusiast who will get the benefit of it. But if someone wants to use it as an expensive ornament, then it's personal choice.

I think it's a fab item and love mine.

Latest posts

Back