Best primers

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ellaaa

Registered Shopper
Just wondering what everyone's favourite primers are, are Mally's and Laura Geller's as good as made out? I have combination skin, it has good texture but some redness and visible pores. Any recommendations? :hi:

I mentioned on the New CID thread that I liked their primer, it doesn't leave a film of silicone on my face like other primers. I've been using a product called Face D bought from Lloyds Pharmacy and it dries to a very matt smooth finish that works v well under "powder" foundations like Laura Geller's Balance and Brighten. It was £14.99 for 30ml last month and online the price seems to be reduced quite often so it's worth checking, I'm not sure I'd pay £24.99 for it but I haven't been using it long enough to see the long-term results they claim: http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/face-d-3-luronics-facial-cream-30ml-258707

Philosophy primers are very good, Poreless Flawless from Benefit is nice but my favourites are Laura Gellers as they give a little something extra like colour correction, radiance etc and have such a light texture. I have combination skin and have to keep applying powder if I forget to put primer on, with it, the Balance & Brighten lasts nearly all day.

I like the idea of a primer that has a bit of something extra in it, as I only wear foundation when I go out at night and want to avoid wearing it in the day, but my skin is starting to need a bit of something in the day (I don't want to go down the avenue of BB creams). Would a clear primer during the day on it's own be of any benefit? Or would a tinted primer be a better route to do down? As I have some redness the Spackle Neutraliser seems a good one?

The clear primer just helps your mineral foundation or powder stick and last, the colour corrective ones will reduce the amount of extra concealer that's required. I find LG's Balance and Brighten has enough coverage to hide little bits of redness - I apply it with a sponge not a brush, and rarely need to apply concealer as well. I use blusher so I'm not sure any radiance from the primer is visible after I have put b&b on.

Clarins have one in a little red pot, tiny amount needed for the whole face. Smooths pores etc.

Hourglass a US brand sold in SpaceNK is a mineral one and no cones. It gives a bright glow to the skin.

The green ones you see to even out redness don't really do much, well you get a faint green hint on the skin.

Primers to be honest are to smooth the skin out before foundation. They have no skin care benefits.

There are a the CC creams now which give a luminous glow to the skin have a high spf(45), with a hint of a tint to even skin out.

I loved the Laura Geller one until I realised it contained witch hazel and was aggravating my skin and sending my rosacea berserk. It took ages to put two and two together that whenever I used it my face burned furiously, because a lot of other products cause this for me too. I was gutted because it's a lovely product performance wise, feels so cooling and soothing when you first put it on. I guess is one is ok with witch hazel that wouldn't be a problem, but it is a skin irritant.
I really like the bareminerals primer now, it's not as light as spackle but a lot lighter than the Mally one, which I find pretty greasy really. The bareminerals one has nothing in it that upsets my skin, helpfully.

To be honest I still have a Prescriptives one unopened, which I loved it had a calming effect to sooth redness.

At the end of the day as has been said by OFJ and others, if you don't wear foundation there is no real point in spending money on them.

I loved the Laura Geller one until I realised it contained witch hazel and was aggravating my skin and sending my rosacea berserk. It took ages to put two and two together that whenever I used it my face burned furiously, because a lot of other products cause this for me too. I was gutted because it's a lovely product performance wise, feels so cooling and soothing when you first put it on. I guess is one is ok with witch hazel that wouldn't be a problem, but it is a skin irritant.
I really like the bareminerals primer now, it's not as light as spackle but a lot lighter than the Mally one, which I find pretty greasy really. The bareminerals one has nothing in it that upsets my skin, helpfully.

Thank you for that I wondered why I had a slight tingly feeling with spackle. I use the Mally one at the moment and really like the finish when I wear foundation. I agree it's pointless wearing a primer on make-up free days. I have tried Mally's trick of "sealing in" my night cream and serums and I think she may be right!

I also really liked the Smashbox photo finish original one.

I used to love Smashbox too, in the summer I would swap over to the dark one wen I had a tan then as it faded, I would go back to the normal one.
My favourite of all time was philosophy poreless flawless, it might have been bright peach in the tube but it really was balancing and sometimes I didn't bother with foundation over the top. I wish they would bring it back

That reminds me, Philosophy's The Present is fab. It doesn't leave a silicone film behind and settles to a very matt finish (helps with break outs too).

I have a drawer full of primers and I can't decide if any of the brands are worth repeat buying. Sometimes my foundation just won't stick to the primer or they sink into and highlight pores which I thought the primers are meant to "disguise" or at least fill in.

I suppose I just need to work through all my primers with each of my foundations to find the best combo.

Mind you, I've got several brands & types of foundations on the go as well and cannot decide which if any give me a decent finish.

I remember my Smashbox photo finish worked well with all my liquid and stick foundation. I never tried it with bare minerals or Laura Geller b& b powder kinds. I have stopped using bare minerals as I find it too much of a faff and have been using Mally primer with Mally foundations. I tried the Mally primer with Balance n Brighten too and got a good finish.

philosophy flawless poreless. the best primer ever. its soooo good my brother uses it. if your skin tone is very good you can use it on its own and it stops greasiness and sweating lol. oddly I like the laura geller one very cooling and mattifies well without being chalky. also stops oiliness and sweating. benefit do a primer in a tube there is very little that benefit does that is not fab. better than mally and all the other makeup brands that qvc keep churning out.

Avon Magix. Love it. If I've got a bit of a tan I can get away with that and nothing else. As much as I like Laura Geller make up I don't like spackle and I don't find the bare minerals one does anything at all for me but the Avon one is ace. Ad it's cheap.

W7 Prime Magic Camera Ready is cheap and works brilliantly. I use it to give a matte finish after applying oils and moisturizer. You can buy it many places online including Amazon's marketplace.

I tried a small sample of the Clarins one. I use a powder foundation ( Dior ) which is fantastic, the primer changed the colour of it and after a couple of hours it had started to look patchy. I thought primers were meant to help your make up last longer and look better, this one had the opposite effect. Haven't tried any others, will stick to just using my normal moisturiser underneath foundation, as then it does look good for hours.

I use LG spackle; it feels nice on the skin and my make up looks fresh all day. I think its good value as a 59ml tube has lasted me almost a year.

Latest posts

Back