Stupid & offensive guests!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

numanoids

Registered Shopper
<rant>
Just switched over to see what was on before heading off to bedfordshire and lo and behold it was Franks along with a guest promoting some hair rollers.

They had an older lady demonstrating the rollers and they couldn't even be bothered to call the woman by her name. She was lucky enough to be called Grandma for the entire few minutes I saw it.

At the end they wanted to do a before and after and the woman wasn't sure what way they wanted her to look and the guest then comes out with this absolute gem "She's from Scotland, she doesn't always understand what I'm saying" - at least Franks didn't jump on the bandwagon and tried to distance herself from the comment and about a minute later the guest apologised but I cannot believe this guest thought it would be in any way acceptable to make such a stupid misguided statement.

I'm a Scot (not that it makes any difference really) and I found that a really offensive thing to say.

</rant over>

Was it the Ego Boost roller system? I remember when I saw a demo a few weeks ago, I recall the guest saying it was a family business and the older model really is the grandma, who agreed to come onto the show to show how easy the system is to use :) No excuse for the coming from Scotland comment though, that was naughty.

By the way, I tried the Ego system, rubbish in my opinion. The pod was faulty so didn't heat the rollers every time inserted, too big and bulky and the Velcro rollers were really vicious, tearing hair out on removal. It was returned free the day after delivery. I also tried the Ego multi temp straightener thingy a few weeks ago - that was dead on arrival and returned the day after - so my experience with hair products from this company has been poor. Not cheap stuff, either.

Last edited:
Mr Akimbo (a fast-talking Manc* ) when he had his first appraisal after we relocated to the South coast, was told that his staff were adjusting to his blunt northern directness (he doesn't suffer fools) and his boss blanched when Mr A told him to remove the comment as it was regionally prejudiced (he was half joking) but he'd been employed to kick ass and pointed out he would never call a staff member "a soft Southerner" he'd only comment on their working ability.

It's really time to lose the regional stereo-types, they're never positive. Many of the presenters patronise or even insult the models, (ok in this case she was the guest's grandma) but generally the models don't rise to it and just keep smiling, always professional.

*he's proud to come from Manchester, just placing his accent for the sake of the anecdote! (apols if you've heard this story before)

Mr Akimbo (a fast-talking Manc* ) when he had his first appraisal after we relocated to the South coast, was told that his staff were adjusting to his blunt northern directness (he doesn't suffer fools) and his boss blanched when Mr A told him to remove the comment as it was regionally prejudiced (he was half joking) but he'd been employed to kick ass and pointed out he would never call a staff member "a soft Southerner" he'd only comment on their working ability.

It's really time to lose the regional stereo-types, they're never positive. Many of the presenters patronise or even insult the models, (ok in this case she was the guest's grandma) but generally the models don't rise to it and just keep smiling, always professional.

*he's proud to come from Manchester, just placing his accent for the sake of the anecdote! (apols if you've heard this story before)

I've had similar comments with colleagues that I work with. One of my direct colleagues who's first language is not English continually complains to my boss about struggling to understand me but thankfully my boss keeps reminding him that I am who I am and he's not going to 'order' me to change how I speak. He's jokingly suggested American lessons to me but i've resisted reminding him that they have ruined the Queen's English (although I only speak a variant of that) ;)

I can have a laugh with colleagues and friends who I know are jesting and we are in a group who are like-minded but I just took issue with this guest. I didn't realise that it actually was her Gran but even so I find that incredibly disrespectful to her family and heritage considering that by bloodline she will be part Scottish.

I didn't see this presentation but agree, the lady who was on last time is certainly the grandma of the guest. Perhaps the Scotland bit is a family in-joke that to the uninitiated sounded rather ruder than it was intended? Of course, without explanation, perhaps using such an in-joke was a bad idea in retrospect …

I did see the presentation and I agree that she called the older lady grandma as its a member of her family, however the Scotland comment was out of order IMO, and I think the Ego lady realised what she said and tried to back track quickly. I noticed the video of last night's presentation is on the web yet they have cut it just before she said the comment which shows Qvc didn't agree with that remark.

I did see the presentation and I agree that she called the older lady grandma as its a member of her family, however the Scotland comment was out of order IMO, and I think the Ego lady realised what she said and tried to back track quickly. I noticed the video of last night's presentation is on the web yet they have cut it just before she said the comment which shows Qvc didn't agree with that remark.

No, it shows they don't want any trouble.

It was a joke at a family member's expense, something I imagine most people with a rounded sense of humour do every day of the week to family and friends and be on the receiving end too. Perhaps live TV not the best place to air it but certainly not worthy of some of the reaction on this thread. At least the TV guest didn't call her grandmother stupid.

It was a joke at a family member's expense, something I imagine most people with a rounded sense of humour do every day of the week to family and friends and be on the receiving end too. Perhaps live TV not the best place to air it but certainly not worthy of some of the reaction on this thread. At least the TV guest didn't call her grandmother stupid.

Joking with friends is fair enough, as I've already said, when in a group of like-minded individuals its fine but to do it on a broadcast is entirely unforgivable. I personally think the reactions are justified including my own. You of course are entitled to your opinion and I mine as well as the others.

Referring to the model as Grandma and mentioning the family "joke" about the scottish accent just wasn't professional. It annoyed me in the same way Jill Franks' "private conversations" with someone in the gallery irritate me.

Bl.....dy good job I'm not on the tele then, as every forum in creation would be awash with complaints of unacceptability, and people being "offended" for one thing or another !

Referring to the model as Grandma and mentioning the family "joke" about the scottish accent just wasn't professional. It annoyed me in the same way Jill Franks' "private conversations" with someone in the gallery irritate me.

yes private jokes with the gallery and the guest is rude especially if you are interested in the product and waiting for information.

I imagine it's quite difficult to temporarily disassociate yourself with a family member while you're on telly. The guest, as far as I'm aware, was new to guest presenting - only the second occasion, I believe - and so perhaps we can forgive her finding that hard. I worked in our family company for many years and, at first, it was really quite difficult to remember to refer to my family members by their names rather than the name that I called them!

I imagine it's quite difficult to temporarily disassociate yourself with a family member while you're on telly. The guest, as far as I'm aware, was new to guest presenting - only the second occasion, I believe - and so perhaps we can forgive her finding that hard. I worked in our family company for many years and, at first, it was really quite difficult to remember to refer to my family members by their names rather than the name that I called them!

The woman from Ego has been on air many times before , they have had several TSV's aswell, not sure how often she brings Grandma with her thou.

And Grandma is not Grandma...she's her Mother in law but everyone calls her Grandma!! A bit odd.

Latest posts

Back