I Pads ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

London

Registered Shopper
The cheek of it, my kids school have asked parents to purchase an I Pad for them to bring into school with them. I am against this for a number of reasons but my main one is that you cannot use word documents on it. Now I know QVC stock them, but I'm not majorly up on this type of thing so please could a teckie help me out, is this a good buy? should I buy one or would something else (cheaper) do the same job? Who has the best price around? Muchas

tell the school to naff off. children are going to school hungry and living in unheated homes. these teachers need a reality check sorry if I have offended anyone

There is no way id buy a child an Ipad to take to school , it will either get damaged or stolen. If they really need a tablet buy a cheaper android version , u can get a decent one for around a £100 which will do the job.

Ask the school why specifically they want you to get an ipad?

There are apps that would open word documents (subject to being compatible with the school version) but you'd have similar problems with an android tablet. Microsoft told my company they are working on Office for IOS (iphone/ipad) but its not going to be out till at least next year.

As for buying one. do NOT buy from QVC even if the Easypay looks good as £100 of the 'added value' is utter crap for magazine tester subscriptions. We bought one for my stepson for his 16th but quickly realised the added value wasn't anything other than naff so we ended up sending back and buying from apple direct so he got the whole setup experience in the store.

If looking for an alternative, certainly consider the google nexus 7. Its an amazing tablet and has some really great apps but again, Office compatibility is not guaranteed as I said above.

One thing a lot of schools are starting to do now is creating iBooks to deliver school content. These are interactive books with media embedded within them and can link to websites. I created one for a holiday last year and means I can send that to anyone with an iPad. Also its possible the school may have negotiated deals with app providers to be able to bulk buy certain educational apps for use in school. These may be a couple of factors for the school specifying iPads but definitely ask them why and what value it will bring to your son's education and will he be at a disadvantage by not having one.

I'm definitely one of the geeks out there and I can see how they can enhance education but as boffy said above, there are people who just can't afford it so maybe also ask if the school can contribute anything towards the cost if its deemed necessary.

Update: I actually saw a video of a school which essentially rebuilt itself after starting to rely on tech for a lot of their content and the school supplied the ipads although i suspect there is some kind of agreement with parents regarding damage/loss of devices but definitely a significant expense and a considered purchase. Again I worry about the school asking and how it affects the education of those who can't afford it.

Last edited:
whats wrong with a laptop at least if families chip in at xmas for grandchildren etc these are affordable and can be used far more extensively than apple I-pad.i worry when this happens some people are really strapped as it is. making children feel bad because they don't have the right gadget to bring to school is just dreadfull. they wont do well if they don't have an I-pod... mad

whats wrong with a laptop at least if families chip in at xmas for grandchildren etc these are affordable and can be used far more extensively than apple I-pad.i worry when this happens some people are really strapped as it is. making children feel bad because they don't have the right gadget to bring to school is just dreadfull. they wont do well if they don't have an I-pod... mad

They do expect them to have a laptop too at home.

tell the school to naff off. children are going to school hungry and living in unheated homes. these teachers need a reality check sorry if I have offended anyone

I don't understand how children are going to school hungry,if parents can't work this country has a very good benefits system.
Lynn

I don't understand how children are going to school hungry,if parents can't work this country has a very good benefits system.
Lynn

I agree with you lynn but that's how it is now. some families cope well others just don't. sadly its a reality. I don't get teachers dictating to parents to buy expemsive gadgets and naming brands to boot.

Lynn

I disagree. The benefits system isn't good at all. We have too many children living in poverty. The number of people using food banks has hit an unprecedented high. Tells you something about low wages and breadline benefits.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

I don't want to get into a debate about the benefits system maybe this thread would be better in The Drop.
Lynn

I think this is outrageous. I know several single mums with two or three kids whose husbands have traded them in for a younger model, and who are continually having to fight to get their child support. They struggle continually, are they supposed to buy an ipad for each of their kids? These idiot teachers haven't got a clue.

Out of curiosity is it a public or private school ? As its more like something ud expect from a private school.

I'm outraged! The idea that families should be told to purchase anything beyond the basic pens and pencils etc is ridiculous. Schools can't assume anything about what people should or are able to buy. This whole thing of little children wanting updated technology all the time is out of control. Adults can say to themselves that they'll stick with their current old model of something because it does the job, but kids are easy targets for the marketing and peer pressure to buy the new model every five minutes. I'd be down at that school having a right go if it was me. The teachers shouldn't be expecting apps to do the job for them anyway.

ps I actually think schools should be writing to parents requesting that if your children have any technology like this, they should not be allowed to bring it into school.

Last edited:
my daughter went to a private school one of the best in the country. the head was sensible and realistic. my daughter would have been one of the poorest in the school as she won her place. I was never worried that she would put any demands on the families whom she knew did not have a lot of money. I think that this teacher needs to reign herself in.

wages are at their lowest for years and there are a lot of burden put on everyone in particularly families

I guarantee that a lot of these single mums who can't afford to feed their children have the latest smart phones at £400+ a pop or at least £40 per month.

Sorry, but I think if children are going to school hungry it's down to their neglectful, materialistic parents more than anything else.

And, just to keep on topic, it's absolutely ridiculous schools expecting each child to have an ipad. Expecting them to have any form of expensive technology is unbelievable. The school should provide these for use in school time, and if they don't have them at home they should be able to do manual work.

No they don't expect all children to have access. They would like you to, but that's another matter. Your local library should have access. If the school persists tell them you will inform OFSTED when they pay a call that your child is being discriminated against.your child cannot do homework etc.

At my daughter's primary school the school has supplied under 20 IPads which all relevant classes share as needed. The children share within the class ...... the IPads remain in school

Latest posts

Back