popeye dvd set

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
It's available on the website for £4.99 so will cost £12.98 in all...ok, that's not a huge amount of money, just seen it go on screen for £9.99 plus extras which means phone call as well..so that's nearly £20! I don't know - but can anyone tell me who in this day and age would want this? They were showing clips and the pics were faded and sound distorted which one may expect from something that's been going for about 80 years or whatever - but really? Cartoons and animations have come on in leaps and bounds and I really cannot see any of todays kids wanting to sit down in front of this - even preschoolers. I can imagine this would be the sort of xmas present that a dotty old relative would buy the kids in the family, sorry if this sounds horrible, I really don't want to sound mean...but there's usually someone that never fails to send you something bizarre or awful for the festive season - From mine, in the past I've received kitzchy (but not in a good way) tea towels, jar of sundried tomatoes, tissues in a flock and plastic gold cover...eeek, slippers that don't fit!

People were buying this set. I thought perhaps it might be a gift for an older person who remembers watching it when they were young...but I still wouldn't! And a popeye collector? Surely they'd have all the films anyway...weird item if you ask me!

...Guy Kean presenting...and don't you just hate the way he breaks down his words into SYL LAB BLES as if he's talking to ID E OTS?!!!

Last edited:
It's available on the website for £4.99 so will cost £12.98 in all...ok, that's not a huge amount of money, just seen it go on screen for £9.99 plus extras which means phone call as well..so that's nearly £20! I don't know - but can anyone tell me who in this day and age would want this? They were showing clips and the pics were faded and sound distorted which one may expect from something that's been going for about 80 years or whatever - but really? Cartoons and animations have come on in leaps and bounds and I really cannot see any of todays kids wanting to sit down in front of this - even preschoolers. I can imagine this would be the sort of xmas present that a dotty old relative would buy the kids in the family, sorry if this sounds horrible, I really don't want to sound mean...but there's usually someone that never fails to send you something bizarre or awful for the festive season - From mine, in the past I've received kitzchy (but not in a good way) tea towels, jar of sundried tomatoes, tissues in a flock and plastic gold cover...eeek, slippers that don't fit!

People were buying this set. I thought perhaps it might be a gift for an older person who remembers watching it when they were young...but I still wouldn't! And a popeye collector? Surely they'd have all the films anyway...weird item if you ask me!

...Guy Kean presenting...and don't you just hate the way he breaks down his words into SYL LAB BLES as if he's talking to ID E OTS?!!!

I do think it's unlikely that too many of today's children would be that interested in old, scratched Popeye cartoons (even I thought they were rubbish when I was a kid) but I guarantee you if Mike Mason was selling it his kid would love Popeye, in fact there's a pretty good chance he will already have bought it!

As for Guy, I do worry about him. It's clear his career hasn't quite panned out as he had hoped so the sooner he accepts he's a presenter on a pretty ropey shopping channel the better he will feel. The good news is that the National Theatre have his CV on file.

They have done for quite a while now.:grin:

Last edited:
I wonder what would happen if Peter Simon ate some spinach?

a) Strength of ten bears
b) Trumps on air
c) Not only is this spinach, of the moment, in the hotel, in a caravan park, in space, in the mausoleum etc
d) Turn green
e) Rescue Sally Olive FlapJack
f) Yonanana

Yes...I can hear him naaaaaw......I used luv Popeye wen I woz a nippa, and naaah I've got my own little boy 'e loves Popeye too...just the uvver nite e said Daddy "OPP I" can't say Popeye cos e's only free years old bless 'im!!!!

They don't even repeat Popeye cartoons on telly these days, so I doubt there's many young kids who've even heard of him, let alone who would be happy to watch something that entertained their great grandparents when they were kids.

They'll make up any bull to try and shift units lol!

I wonder what would happen if Peter Simon ate some spinach?

a) Strength of ten bears
b) Trumps on air
c) Not only is this spinach, of the moment, in the hotel, in a caravan park, in space, in the mausoleum etc
d) Turn green
e) Rescue Sally Olive FlapJack
f) Yonanana

He dosen't need spinach to trump on air :giggle:

Speaking of Olive Oyl..................

olive.jpglola.jpg

Yes...I can hear him naaaaaw......I used luv Popeye wen I woz a nippa, and naaah I've got my own little boy 'e loves Popeye too...just the uvver nite e said Daddy "OPP I" can't say Popeye cos e's only free years old bless 'im!!!!

They don't even repeat Popeye cartoons on telly these days, so I doubt there's many young kids who've even heard of him, let alone who would be happy to watch something that entertained their great grandparents when they were kids.

They'll make up any bull to try and shift units lol!

The only time I remember Granada showing Popeye was when they had a few minutes to fill so they shoved one on air as they were no doubt cheaper than Looney Tunes!

Even back then the film was falling to pieces!

They are not selling Popeye because there is a market for it. They are selling it because the buyers pick up redundant old rubbish, bankrupt stock, stuff left in warehouses, products that are no longer made and so on. The presenters then hype this rubbish up and foolish, elderly and gullible people buy it.
You can be sure that a significant proportion of the stuff purchased on Bid is never even unwrapped let alone used.
How many people that bought , for example, the chocolate fountain or the giant roll up piano keyboard have got any use from them?
I'm sure you all can think of many completely useless items that Bid have flogged that were bound to be instantly discarded.

Last edited:
They are not selling Popeye because there is a market for it. They are selling it because the buyers pick up redundant old rubbish, bankrupt stock, stuff left in warehouses, products that are no longer made and so on. The presenters then hype this rubbish up and foolish, elderly and gullible people buy it.
You can be sure that a significant proportion of the stuff purchased on Bid is never even unwrapped let alone used.
How many people that bought , for example, the chocolate fountain or the giant piano keyboard have got any use from them?
I'm sure you all can think of many completely useless items that Bid have flogged that were bound to be instantly discarded.

Good point - I guess you can only blame those foolish enough to part with their money for some of these things! I guess you can't blame the presenters for trying to sell the stuff - after all it's their job, and is pretending you like something as bad as saying you actually own something when you don't? I mean I couldn't sell those dvd's I wouldn't know what to say....."Come and get some redundant junk...might be worth millions one day lol!"

How many people that bought , for example, the chocolate fountain or the giant roll up piano keyboard have got any use from them?

Indeed.

On the other hand i'm sure you all can think of many completely useless presenters that Bid have signed up that should certainly have been instantly discarded :grin:

Bod, Birkett, Kean, Stewart et al. They are the Popeye's of telly shopping!

Indeed.

On the other hand i'm sure you all can think of many completely useless presenters that Bid have signed up that should certainly have been instantly discarded :grin:

Bod, Birkett, Kean, Stewart et al. They are the Popeye's of telly shopping!

I'm starting to feel sorry for Popeye now?!

Just seen these with Far, they went for something like £3.99 ++ and he has a new slant on his sales pitch.

He reckons it will help kids eat their greens :giggle:

I'm quite impressed, that's pretty imaginative by his standards.

But if I was Far I wouldn't even go there, depending on what he actually said it could be pretty dodgy ground :Laugh:

Latest posts

Back