Stupid comment by Holly - KitchenAid

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

backstreetgirl

Registered Shopper
I turned over to see the KitchenAid mixer being demonstrated by Holly and couldn't believe it when she said something along the lines of: 'It's great in the white as it goes with all kitchens, if you change your kitchen and have new cupboards you don't find yourself wanting to buy a new KitchenAid to match...'

SAY WHAT??

Last edited:
I turned over to see the KitchenAid mixer being demonstrated by Holly and couldn't believe it when she said something along the lines of: 'It's great in the white as it goes with all kitchens, if you change your kitchen and have new cupboards you don't find yourself wanting to buy a new KitchenAid to match...'

SAY WHAT??

Why stupid? If you have a white kitchen, and a pink kitchenaid and, subsequently, decide to change your colour scheme, opting for red cupboards, a white mixer would accessorise it as well; a pink, imo, would not. Personally, if I was spending a lot of Wonga on a new kitchen, I would not regard it as imperative to replace a perfectly good, operational kitchen appliance just so it looks good. Fitting a new kitchen isn't a bit of cheap diy so, spending £400-£500 on a mixer? Not a priority. Whilst kitchenaid buyers consider the appearance of the appliance a deciding factor in their purchase it is, essentially, a functional machine. I have a kenwood chef, which is kept in the cupboard, as I hate busy work surfaces. I know it's going off track a bit, but Holly came to the attention of the public, via her appearance on GBB, now she is working in tv. Makes you wonder why these people are contestants on these shows. In her case, did Holly have such a passion for baking, that she wanted to make a career out of it, and saw the exposure offered by a tv show as a way of improving her chances of doing a job she loves? Or was she being rather more astute - let's face it, there is nothing wrong with wanting to be successful and make money - and saw it as a means to an end?

Was it more the "you won't need another KA to match" bit? Cos that WAS a stupid comment!

perhaps it was just a rather clumsy way of saying "stick with the white, it will go with anything". Not a great way to get rid of the other option.!

being the brand ambassador for kitchen aid probably gives her a bit of money whilst enabling her to retain her time with her kids.

I don't see the issue with it, just because she came from reality tv... at least she isn't falling out of nightclubs and turning up on celebrity shagfest or whatever shows they have escalated to.

I don't see the problem with what she said... I can see where she is coming from on colour.

These mixers are supposed to last for decades and fashion colours come and go. I remember my red kitchen back in the 80s and, here I am again, with a red kettle etc once again. In between, I've had stainless steel, yellow and blue themes.

I opted for the white 'Classic' on price and on colour (or lack of it).

I found it pretty odd. If I'd spent that kind of money on a kitchen gadget like that I'd expect it to last several decades, certainly wouldn't be forking out the same again just because of the colour. I'd be surprised if anyone did who wasn't a millionnaire. I choose kitchen gadget colours based on liking the colour on the thing itself, I don't really care if it matches something else. It's not like they sit out on a surface all the time anyway.

I found it pretty odd. If I'd spent that kind of money on a kitchen gadget like that I'd expect it to last several decades, certainly wouldn't be forking out the same again just because of the colour. I'd be surprised if anyone did who wasn't a millionnaire. I choose kitchen gadget colours based on liking the colour on the thing itself, I don't really care if it matches something else. It's not like they sit out on a surface all the time anyway.

The KA mixer is so heavy you wouldn't want to keep putting it away... Mine stays out.

I think she was saying how universal a colour the white KitchenAid is. And it is. And I think she was being a bit witty about it.
As for her being from 'reality tv' - the "Great British Bake-off" is hardly "Big Brother". Holly has a background in advertising and, from what I know, had a very demanding job in her 'real life' before she had her children (not that having them isn't demanding!), she writes a (very well written and witty) blog and is a regular contributor for a number of websites including Mumsnet. She also works with Sainsbury's. She's very well qualified for the job of representing KitchenAid. I don't think we should be getting too hung up on one comment.

I like my tea, coffee, etc canisters to match as they're on show, but everything else is out of sight which is how I like it.

I don't see the problem with what she said... I can see where she is coming from on colour.

These mixers are supposed to last for decades and fashion colours come and go. I remember my red kitchen back in the 80s and, here I am again, with a red kettle etc once again. In between, I've had stainless steel, yellow and blue themes.

I opted for the white 'Classic' on price and on colour (or lack of it).

Her comment was indicating that if you buy a white one you don't have to worry about buying another should you change your kitchen (& therefore the colours of your kitchen). I don't have a KitchenAid as I can't afford one, but if I did and then a few years down the line I changed my kitchen I would not be stupd enough to think I should buy a new KitchenAid because the colour didn't match! Fine if you've got hundreds of pounds to spend for no real reason, but otherwise....

Last edited:
I still don't see what was wrong with her remark.

QVC is selling a lifestyle and Kitchenaid is definitely an aspirational brand for some... some might have them for the look rather than the function... a bit like the thousands of people who buy 4x4s and never go off road.

I've changed the colours of my appliances more than once in my lifetime... why not?

A kitchen aid mixer should last for years, it's a sturdy machine and far to heavy for me to keep moving around so it stays out on the counter top. I think she said it a bit weird, I can't think of anyone that would go and fork out for another KA just because it didn't match a new kitchen. On the other hand a neutral colour such as white is probably a safer long term investment than a fashion colour you may get fed up of. Though I personally would never chose white, far to bland for me, I stuck with black, still goes with any colour scheme I'm likely to have.

I think it is too easy to judge the minutiae of what someone has said when they are presenting live tv, unscripted, and often doing something other than talking as well eg demonstrating the actual product. Sometimes things can come out wrong. I didn't hear what Holly said, however, I think the point of saying that white may be a more enduring colour choice than a "fashion" colour when you're buying a piece of kit that should last a good 30+ years is a valid point to make.

SAY WHAT??

She could have been saying this tongue in cheek? i.e. "don't be ridiculous, of course you would only buy one so think about the colour first in case you do say buy a green one and then change your accessories to cream in a red kitchen". (phew, that took a lot of work!)

It can't be easy talking on the spot, I'm sure all the presenters and guests are continually wishing they had reworded something before it came out.

I think it is too easy to judge the minutiae of what someone has said when they are presenting live tv, unscripted, and often doing something other than talking as well eg demonstrating the actual product. Sometimes things can come out wrong. I didn't hear what Holly said, however, I think the point of saying that white may be a more enduring colour choice than a "fashion" colour when you're buying a piece of kit that should last a good 30+ years is a valid point to make.

Agree:happy:

She also said something along the lines that the KA is so quiet, that you couldn't use any other brand of mixer, because they are so noisey and would wake people up, if baking late at night or early in the morning.

Latest posts

Back