Anti frizz help for hair

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

iloveshopping

Registered Shopper
The season of mists has started so my hair gets frizzy outdoors. I think a Brazilian treatment would stop it but it is just too expensive at £120 a pop and only lasts around 10 weeks.
Any new products around that help. I've recently tried Argan oil but no difference.

A brand called Living Proof gets rave reviews, no nasties in it. If you are impressed by Celebs Jen Ansion was the spokes woman and so impressed she bought into the company.

I PM'd you and asked if you'd tried it (L'Oreal Steampod) on the Ego/QVC thread.

I now have perfect hair that doesn't frizz in wind/rain/humidity (I can happily sit on toilet seat chatting to OH while he's having a shower now!). It also looks hair-product commercial healthy and my style lasts until I WANT to wash my hair (not my hair dictating that to look somewhat tidy it needs washing again!!). This is, without doubt, THE best money I've EVER spent on my hair (and I've spent thousands over the years on products, styling tools and chemical straightening).

The search is over for me.

@alterego. Thanks I'll have a look as to where to buy it. Are you using their Replenishing smoothing cream as well? I don't want my hair dead straight is it possible with this to give it a little volume. perhaps I could use the steampod and then run my babyliss bighair through bits of my hair.

I got the pink one from Lookfantastic.com as I wanted to buy from somewhere that would have good service if it needed repair or replacement. The pink one specifically as it had (may still have) a heatproof mat/bag (which is large enough for it - my old one's not big enough). Don't forget to go via a cashback site if you go for it.

I don't like flat, very obviously straightened hair either, and do use the Big Hair before and after (a quick refresh with the BH gives it plenty of bounce!).

I didn't buy the cream initially. I have loads of stuff to use up. I've used Moroccanoil, the Elvive oil, Kerastase Nectar Thermique and a few other things. My hairdresser gave me a sample of the replenishing cream and I found it heavy, similar to Nectar Thermique, but a little heavier and with not such a nice smell.

I have recently started using L'Oreal Techni Art volume architect: http://www.activebeauty.co.uk/productPaging.php?productId=9530 and am very impressed. I started using it after my hairdresser tried it on me in an effort to soften my hair (which never used to be coarse but had become rough from over-heating and colouring). My hair was softened with this even before the Steampod but it did give me a little too much volume. As a Crystal Tips lookalike, I avoided volumising products like the plague as I did not need any more pouff! This stuff sprayed in before drying with one of the oils above really works with the Steampod, though. My hair, although now straight and frizz-free, still holds a shape so it doesn't look stick-thin straight IYKWIM.

I'll feel awful if you shell out for this and it doesn't work for you like it does me, but if you have hair that frizzes easily, loses its style at the slightest spot of rain, is dry and in bad condition from heat tools, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'm in love with it and what it's done for my hair (which, when shorter, was described as "queen mum" hair). I now have hair advert hair! I can't stop touching it as it's soft, smooth and will stay in place (even with all the touching!). I'm knocking on 50 and have good hair for the FIRST TIME EVER!!!

HTH

No pink available anymore but one is winging its way to me. I'm quite happy to take the risk. I have loads of products so will work my way through them. Got next day delivery from look fantastic with code next50. Will keep you posted. I have a Babyliss big hair already so hopefully I have the winning combo.

Pink not available any more?? It's just come up with an extra 10% off with code PINK. I would have liked the extra £ off, but am very happy with the bag as OH moans about me risking fire or burning things!

I'm holding my breath here - I think I'll be more disappointed than you if you don't like it. I did mine again today. I don't think I've ever washed my hair so much! Hair drying was a chore for me, made even more soul-destroying due to the results or lack of (frizzy, dull, crispy ends). I've been playing with my soft, swingy hair all day. I SO hope it works for you, too.

Yes I missed out on the 10% off it wasn't available when I ordered. It should be here in the next hour or so according to the DPD courier email. Will wash hair this evening and report back!

I've been afraid to call in here. Or will I hear the swearing anyway?!

I really, really, really hope you love it as much as I do :sweat:

I can report back that I think it is fantastic. My hair almost looks like I have come out of the salon. I feel inspired to get an edgy look as it is hanging so beautifully. But the big test is the rain... no doubt there will be some in a few days.
I had just bought some John Frieda 3 day straightening spray so I blow dried my hair with that and then used the steampod and then put a little Argan oil on my hair. It feels so soft.
It is only the cost of one Brazilian blow dry which I had been thinking about having. Hope it doesn't break too soon.
Thanks for the recommendation.

Oh, thank God for that!!!

I'm glad you like it. I hate rec'ing something that turns out to be a flop for others.

I looked at that 3 day straight, read reviews about it being sticky so avoided it. But seriously, you won't need it. I did mine yesterday with a drop of Elvive oil and that Tecni Art volume spray and got up this morning (a sweaty might is one test, steamy bathroom another, with rain being the worst for it reverting to frizz and half-hearted curls), looking much as I went to bed.

I've been out today in misty/blowy rain and ran my Tangle Teezer through my hair after it dried. No difference - which put a HUGE smile on my face! Normally I can almost hear the boing as my fringe bounces up into a curly Roman emperor look (hope that's provided a good insight to how my hair normally looks after a hint of moisture!).

Can I just say PHEW :happy::whew:

PS Just in case you still want to try permanent straightening, check out X-Tenso. I had mine done here: http://www.verticalsinhair.com/index.php?option=com_content& whilst visiting relatives in Canada. I had it touched up over here for £50 a time, but had many of the problems detailed in his forums (bends/breakage on overlaps etc.). I gave up after on chemical straightening when the last stylist burnt my scalp causing blobs of permanent hair loss. It really is great the first time, it completely changed the texture of my hair from light and pouffy to heavy and straight, but the risks outweighed the benefits and I'm a happy bunny now with my treasured Steampod :Smile:

ETA: What heat setting did you use? I can get away with 190, but will probably try the lowest setting next time.

Last edited:
I tried 190c the first time, second time I have used 180. Hair is a little less straightened on 180 but I had just coloured it so will keep trying on 180 a few more times. Apparently the new ghds are set to 175.
I was going to get a Brazilian blow dry before buying the steampod so pleased I didn't. Will report again on steampod as we still haven't had any rain.

Yes I got caught in the rain today and virtually no frizz. Very happy with the L' oreal. I think the john Frieda product may not be washing out very well . my hair felt greasy when I was washing it. May have to use a deep cleansing shampoo.

I had heard of problems with it. I'm messing around with stuff I already have like the Elvive and Moroccan oils, but am still in love with the L'Oreal Techni Art volume spray for oomph at the roots and keeping softness all over. If you're interested, it's £9.91 on Uniquelooks.com.

Latest posts

Back