The Letter

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

rainbowdottie

Registered Shopper
I have had The Letter in the past - probably about 8 years ago.Today I received a letter asking me to ring QVC finance.I knew it would be about returns - but then thought I've barely bought anything this year from them -although I did have a bit of a splurge in the summer.

So I ring and speak to *james*. He told me my that my return rate is 59% for the year and as they're just going through accounts ready for Christmas,mine has flagged up.He says it ok to be only 9% over but basically dont do it again! He asked me what QVc can do to help me and what am I disappointed by when items come? Well the shoddy items I receive for the OTT price was the answer he got!!!!

Unfortunately I had just come in from work and not really in the mood to give QVc a piece of my mind.Neither could I remember what I'd returned to even comment on.And TBH I buy so little from QVC now because of their high prices and high post office charges,I wasnt really bothered by the whole conversation.

I did point out that for instance i returned the trinny and susannah tsv as for the price the fit and material was not worth the price paid - I just dont know that until i get home.at least in M&s i can bypass it!!! Kind james however is going to send me a size guide for fashion though!

How cheeky of QVC to be questioning you.Wonder if they have done away with the "letter".

I think the phonecall is the first stage...like a warning and if returns are still coming you get the letter.I think.

Whilst I'd hate QVC to close my account - I'd still always like the option of whether to buy or not - I'm not as bothered and as angry as I was last time.Last time the phonecall was along the same sort of vein and very friendly - I didnt really know what it was all about - the woman I spoke to didnt mention a return rate...made it sound more like a survey - at least this time they've made it clearer,albeit still in the vein of we're trying to help you,save your postage costs blah,blah,blah.

Last time I was really angry - this time I dont really care.I dont buy enough to care.It will be a shame if I buy 3 things and send those 3 things back.....hows that gonna work? is that fair? I dont know.It will be unfair if items are damaged or not as sold on the screen.I bought some baubles from QVC for work colleagues last week...what if I open that box and its smashed? What if as per the reviews the led's inside dont work?
aside from that I dont buy enough to be concerned about it....

I dont think I would care either. I return what I want to return. I keep what I want to keep. If I ever got a letter asking me to call I would probably ignore it. If I got the letter I would probably ignore it. If they close my account so be it. I bet they wont though as I spend too much money with them.

I got a letter after Christmas, when I returned twenty parcels with mostly diamonique. They asked me on the phone why I return such a high percentage of items and I said, because of the amount of encouraging that presenters give while presenting, suggesting to buy things in different colours for choice. It was my third letter, the first two over the years I ignored. And I'm still shopping with QVC :), but buying only things I mean to keep, before I used to buy them to sample, as suggested by presenters

Wow, I was completely unaware of this being monitored and had to look it up in their t&cs!! I have never actually sent anything back, including the truly revolting Tova mixed perfumes which I only started well after the 30 days. However, if people buy a lot of clothes their returns rate is surely going to be high. Even in a solid shop like M&S the sizes can vary, I always take several things in to try and reject most and I have no idea what size I would be in the S/M/L sizing. So it is not exactly no quibble then.... Or am I being over-harsh? This forum is great for this type of info!!!!!!

What I find really annoying is everything is classed as a 'Return'. Normal returns, undelivered items (returned directly to QVC), items lost in the post. All of them are on my account as returns which is unfair.

I couldn't imagine buying from QVC just to sample something as it's such a hassle packing the items up and going to the post office to send back, not to mention paying for postage to return. I have become determined to send back anything that I am disappointed in at first glance and to return those under DSR. If I hold onto something and by the end of 30 days am still undecided, I take that as a sign that it's still not satisfactory and I return it even though I won't get back the original P&P. Better to get back something than have an item I won't use, wear, etc. and you can only 'gift' so much of this stuff or try to sell on eBay.

My buying has gone really down. Only so much jewellery I can use as my lifestyle is not full of exciting events to 'dress' for, some Yankee Candles are weak in fragrance which is disappointing so I am being more careful in those purchases. Beauty is way too expensive and I like to touch the fabrics of clothing to see if it feels good. So that cuts a lot out for me.

I now mute the sound a lot unless it's something I want to hear about. Saves getting caught up in the moment.

I only buy things that I am familiar with. i.e things that sell in the shops and brands that I know are reliable. in the past I would listen and believe what the presenters are saying now I don't believe anything. most qvc brands are really not good vfm and I know that I am too fussy for shabby goods to be kept when I know in my heart that is not suitable.

It's bad considering the presenters keep bleating on about the 30 day 'no quibble' blah blah!

I've vowed never to buy clothing from QVC again. The last three items that I've tried to buy have been problematic - one was lost in transit and two were used customer returns that were sent back out. It really annoys me that they will effectively blame me for those "returns" even though it's their fault. When I see anything on air now, especially if it's an older item that has lots of sizes or colours, I assume that I'll receive someone else's return and that puts me right off even thinking of ordering. I simply don't trust what I'm going to get, add to that the high cost and slow speed of their service and I'm hardly ordering now either. In the short term, that might make my returns rate look a bit higher than usual but overall it'll lower it as there's less to send back in the first place.

Imagine how someone would react if they tried to walk into M&S and security stopped them and told them they were banned because they returned a few items last month. I'm pretty sure they'd soon tell M&S where to go and shop elsewhere. I think more people need to do that to QVC to drive the message home that we're not stupid and deserve (and demand) a better service for our money. If they don't want customers returning a lot of items, stop the presenters from advising us all to buy one of everything and return what we don't want.

NO QUESTIONS ASKED...

That's what Jill has just said in the advert about the 30 day money back guarantee... but they do ask questions don't they?

NO QUESTIONS ASKED...

That's what Jill has just said in the advert about the 30 day money back guarantee... but they do ask questions don't they?

It is 'no quibble/no questions asked' as long as you don't return a high proportion of your purchases. It would be a bit of a mouthful for them to explain that each time they mentioned the money-back guarantee though, and get in the way of the hard sell.

It's a balancing act for QVC; the 30 day money back guarantee is their Unique Selling Point but they also need to limit their returns rate.

Everything I've ever bought from QVC I intended to keep.However as someone has said I know almost straightaway if its for me and if I ever feel dissatisfied in ANY way - I return it simples.My argument with QVC the first time I had this was that is was my time and money I was wasting not theirs.However I truly did not think of it as sampling.I just used to think how do I know what it feels like etc until I see it.I don't think I've ever used my 30 day MBG - I used to send stuff back always first class recorded,pretty much the same or next day! I can only remember using the 30 day MBG on a pair of birkenstock clogs that I literally uuummed and arrhed about for the whole month.

Now I buy less and less and less.Mainly because of the high P&P and slow delivery - but tbh,I can buy most of their stuff elsewhere now.I've obviously "this year" sent back more than I've liked - but I'm not gonna feel bad.I don't feel I'm taking the pee - I haven't worn it all or used it all for 30 days - its obviously not as expected and therefore returned! just as I would to another company!

While I'm thinkinbg twice do I really want/need it...I just now shall be thinking thrice!

Have been shopping with Q for over ten years - loads of dresses and tops, 7 coats/jackets, lot of Kipling in the past, vacuum cleaners, cameras, electrical gadgets, Charlie Bears, jewellery, a lot of Liz Earle before Avon and heaven knows what else. And I've never sent anything back.

It's not because I'm easy to please, but I'm careful what I buy and very careful not to buy on impulse and to be sure I really want or need what I'm purchasing. With clothes I always measure myself at the time and check the reviews to see which size I match in the range I'm looking at, so things fit when I get them. Like others here I can't face the thought of having to repackage things, trail down to the post office and stand in a queue to return them, so I make pretty damned sure when I buy that I'm not going to have to do that.

It is 'no quibble/no questions asked' as long as you don't return a high proportion of your purchases. It would be a bit of a mouthful for them to explain that each time they mentioned the money-back guarantee though, and get in the way of the hard sell.

It's a balancing act for QVC; the 30 day money back guarantee is their Unique Selling Point but they also need to limit their returns rate.

Interestingly, I have just heard Debbie Flint in the Lulu Guinness hour say something along the lines of, only buy this if you know you are going to love it, otherwise leave for someone else to buy! Also, earlier today Catherine Huntley was telling people during the Yong Kim hour to complete their checkout on a particular garment (if ordering on the computer) or remove the item from the basket so that someone else can buy it!

I have never heard the presenters say these sorts of things before - maybe things are changing and they recognise it isnt such a good idea to encourage people to "try it".

I'm surprised Q hasn't reduced the time an item stays in a basket without being checked out (though it might be beyond the in-house web team to implement this).

Ideal World only allow about 10 mins before an item is dumped out of one's basket.

I am not sure that just putting something in your basket guarantees you the item, only check out.

I have also noticed that the time an item is allowed in your basket has been raised to an hour instead of 30 minutes (both idle)

I didn't realize that a "return" is also non-delivery, faulty item, poor quality etc. I phoned them up once about returning something - can't remember what - and the very nice guy on the end of the phone said, no problem, I see you don't return that much. After I'd put down the phone I thought, what???? So maybe they give us scores or something (like a little red scowly face if you've been angry or a yawn if you talk too long? What would you get if you complained about a presenter?)

All retailers collect info about a customer's shopping habits, the cost of running a loyalty card scheme is exceeded by the benefit to the company of collating all that info. If you supermarket shop online the layout of products and offers you're presented with is all tailored to tempt you to spend more; the "loyalty" idea and the discounts they advertise are secondary.

The only way not to have your spending tracked is to got to a shop and pay cash without any clubcard type loyalty card. I bet most of the members here have huge internet footprints because we buy online.

It's not a new thing, 30 years ago when I worked at the then DHSS the claimant case papers were noted with symbols to warn other members of staff of violent individuals.

Don't get paranoid, but they are watching you!

Latest posts

Back