Let's set the rumour mill in motion...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Goodluckifyageddit

Registered Shopper
Just switched on and happened to catch an aside from Chris Birkett (?) on Price-Drop holding up two mini-Christmas trees and asking the floor crew if they should buy a few for the staff Christmas party..."a.k.a. the leaving do" he then went on to say. Is he going? The Price Drop channel ? Or the whole kit and caboodle?

Last edited:
Just switched on and happened to catch an aside from Chris Birkett (?) on Price-Drop holding up two mini-Christmas trees and asking the floor crew if they should buy a few for the staff Christmas party..."a.k.a. the leaving do" he then went on to say. Is he going? The Price Drop channel ? Or the whole kit and caboodle?

Would anyone notice if Chris Birkett left or stayed?

I wouldn't be surprised if a few others leave though. It can surely only be a matter of time before talent such as Justin Hazell and Mike Mason are picked up by the major networks, it's only down to their admirably loyalty to Sit-Up that they aren't already at the BBC.

Would anyone notice if Chris Birkett left or stayed?

I wouldn't be surprised if a few others leave though. It can surely only be a matter of time before talent such as Justin Hazell and Mike Mason are picked up by the major networks, it's only down to their admirably loyalty to Sit-Up that they aren't already at the BBC.

Legends in their own lunchtime, every one of 'em. An odd thing to drop into the conversation I thought though - I haven't been on here in a while, but I've noticed viewing the channels in the meantime that after a brief respite the vouchers, tat, and generic perfumes and watches are back with a vengeance. Not a good sign when these are supposed to be the most lucrative weeks for the channel.

Legends in their own lunchtime, every one of 'em. An odd thing to drop into the conversation I thought though - I haven't been on here in a while, but I've noticed viewing the channels in the meantime that after a brief respite the vouchers, tat, and generic perfumes and watches are back with a vengeance. Not a good sign when these are supposed to be the most lucrative weeks for the channel.

Maybe they are expecting bad news from Ofcom. It's unlikely to be good news anyway, especially at this time of year.

What a complete mess they have got themselves into.

Hope they don't close (as long as they change) there are presenters and producers who frankly deserve to be on the dole but sone if the cleaners, crew, warehouse and call centre staff who don't and are innocent (apart from not looking into the company they work for)

I wonder if offcom do close them we will see an iBuy style rising from the ashes style TV channel using the same studios, crew and presenters but are in no way anything to do with bid ... :s

Sent from my Vodafone 354 using Forum Runner *meep meep*

Personally I only think they would close down if the tatt isn't making enough profit. I doubt Ofcom will throw the book at them but any serious bad publicity could be pretty devastating.

I wouldn't assume that they're going anywhere.
They're owned by a big investment firm, so it's not like they can't weather bad months (or years) of trading.
Even so, Sit-Up like to claim they're the 2nd biggest shopping network in the UK, and there's some value in that.

The "leaving do" could have easily been for one of the staff that he was working with on his shift.

As for Ofcom, it'll be interesting to see what they say, assuming they even make any sort of statement.
I would guess they wouldn't say much though. Neither Bid, nor Price Drop actually violate the Broadcasting Code, so Ofcom will probably just give some "suggestions" and call it a day.

I wouldn't assume that they're going anywhere.
They're owned by a big investment firm, so it's not like they can't weather bad months (or years) of trading.
Even so, Sit-Up like to claim they're the 2nd biggest shopping network in the UK, and there's some value in that.

The "leaving do" could have easily been for one of the staff that he was working with on his shift.

As for Ofcom, it'll be interesting to see what they say, assuming they even make any sort of statement.
I would guess they wouldn't say much though. Neither Bid, nor Price Drop actually violate the Broadcasting Code, so Ofcom will probably just give some "suggestions" and call it a day.

i always assumed that bid was a distant 3rd... Due to its low rent appearance and output.

But with those extra charges etc, i could be wrong

For anyone else who didn't know, I've only just heard, Shocked Face Shylock is no longer the perfume buyer

Peter's legacy is strong though. During his tenure he brought us Laurelle and Jean Paul DuPont.

And who can forget Yacht Man and Nikki Beach?

Don't forget Creation Lamis, Betty Boop and Mandate-world class fragrances for the sophisticated shopper.

Don't forget Creation Lamis, Betty Boop and Mandate-world class fragrances for the sophisticated shopper.

Funny you should mention Mandate.

Mason was selling it last night and boasted it had been around for 37 years and it wouldn't have lasted so long if it wasn't good. I could be wrong but i'm not sure it has been sold continuously that long at all, it was certainly launched in the mid 70's by Shulton but was revived by Eden Classics (much like Insignia and Rapport).

For anyone else who didn't know, I've only just heard, Shocked Face Shylock is no longer the perfume buyer

I've always wondered whether "perfume buyer" at Bid TV just involved him going on the Chinese eBay and buying unbranded smells at mass.

Latest posts

Back