Bid's pre-Xmas products - tat or just catering for harsh economic times?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Goodluckifyageddit

Registered Shopper
This has to be the poorest quality line-up in the run up to Xmas that I've ever seen in the years I've been watching Bid. Surely the most crucial few weeks in the year for them as a business, when the channel should be putting on a real show with the best it can offer. But day after day it's the same old rubbishy items, many of which could hardly be called "giftables" (an horrendous word that many of the presenters seem keen to use in recent weeks) - steam-mops, multi-plug adaptors, irons, cheap torches, 12-in-1 tool-kits and lamps - yes, I could certainly see the recipients' eyes light up if they received one of those on Xmas Day.

And since when did Bid have "Christmas Clearances" two months before the event? What has happened to the 1 or 2-hour sections devoted to toys that we had in previous years?

Yet...thousands of cheap fragrant oil-burners flew out the other night - the two thin-looking fleeces in horrendous colours did well at £2.99 tonight for Steve Mac - who boasted in his stint that virually every item he'd sold had gone for under a fiver - is it desperation or are Bid just going exclusively now for the low-end demographic?

This has to be the poorest quality line-up in the run up to Xmas that I've ever seen in the years I've been watching Bid. Surely the most crucial few weeks in the year for them as a business, when the channel should be putting on a real show with the best it can offer. But day after day it's the same old rubbishy items, many of which could hardly be called "giftables" (an horrendous word that many of the presenters seem keen to use in recent weeks) - steam-mops, multi-plug adaptors, irons, cheap torches, 12-in-1 tool-kits and lamps - yes, I could certainly see the recipients' eyes light up if they received one of those on Xmas Day.

And since when did Bid have "Christmas Clearances" two months before the event? What has happened to the 1 or 2-hour sections devoted to toys that we had in previous years?

Yet...thousands of cheap fragrant oil-burners flew out the other night - the two thin-looking fleeces in horrendous colours did well at £2.99 tonight for Steve Mac - who boasted in his stint that virually every item he'd sold had gone for under a fiver - is it desperation or are Bid just going exclusively now for the low-end demographic?

As mad as it seem it's probably the tatt that has the biggest overall margins. Most of the items are surely bought in for far less than the p+p alone (the Laurelle fragrances definitely are, and that's an undisputable fact). The margins at times are eye watering.

It will probably work for a bit but overall people would soon get fed up of a tattfest, in my opinion.

As mad as it seem it's probably the tatt that has the biggest overall margins. Most of the items are surely bought in for far less than the p+p alone (the Laurelle fragrances definitely are, and that's an undisputable fact). The margins at times are eye watering.

It will probably work for a bit but overall people would soon get fed up of a tattfest, in my opinion.

I think you should take a look at the retailes who are booming during this economic downturn. Companies like pound land, liddle, Aldi. Robert Dyer,Primark, TK max. Surely that should tell you all you need to know about the taste of the majority of people
When bid do put recognised brands on air there is far less demand than the lesser brands. You may not be able to understand it, you may not be able to relate to it. But there are a lot of people who like bid and therir 'tat' products. Because they don't have the money to go out and buy the big brands. If there was no demand they wouldn't sell them right? Although I have to say I find the negative posters on here very selective about which products they highlight as being tat. There is loads of good stuff on bid. But alas. The members on here are clearly so rich and cultured that not even a solid gold rolls Royce will please em lol

I think there is nothing wrong in them selling the items they do, aslong as they are open/realistic about what it is they are selling. I genuinely don't believe you need to make something sound like the greatest thing in the world to shift it. people have a need for a variety of items and if the price is fair then they have a chance of shifting.

I also think it is wrong to disparage a alternative product to make a sale, when you are probably going to end up selling that item in a few hours (they are guilty of this. eg steam mops and mop n buckets).

there's an old phrase which comes to mind with many (not all) of Sit-up's merchandise... Pay Cheap, Pay Twice.

Latest posts

Back