Faulty Tablets

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

billyhaughan

Registered Shopper
I bought 2 tablets for children for Christmas from Ideal World. The first one was faulty out of the box, ie the charging port in the tablet had a poor connection. The second one developed the same fault after 3 days and on the 5th day has shut down and will not turn on. Customer services say. "Return the products and the products will be sent to our quality team for repairs and they will get in touch with you regarding the same. We request you to please send the items back to us with a covering letter with a brief note about the faults in products. This process may take up to 28 days to complete, from the time the product is received at our warehouse." I find this solution unacceptable and I have had to go out and buy 2 further tablets on the High St. I have asked that a refund be issued for the faulty items but they will not agree to this and the last thing I want is another 2 tablets or the returned tablets repaired and returned.
Ideal World's returns policy, or the implementation of it, for faulty goods does not comply with Trading standards advice or legislation although their terms state that they comply with English Law.
I have today returned the items so watch this space for an update.

Really disappointing for you do not know which ones you bought did they not have a manufactures guarantee with them some of the ones they sold did, to be honest i would not but cheaper tablets you get what you pay for,hope you get it sorted out.

When IW are good, they're very, very good, but as soon as you need any customer service or support, they are the worst company to deal with IMO (Dell come a close second).

It's for this reason that I no longer buy from them. It's a shame really, as they sometimes have some really good deals, but I just can't bring myself to use them anymore.

Really disappointing for you do not know which ones you bought did they not have a manufactures guarantee with them some of the ones they sold did, to be honest i would not but cheaper tablets you get what you pay for,hope you get it sorted out.

Just because they are cheap it doesn't mean that they shouldn't work, I bought my OH a cheap tablet from IW and ok it's not apple but its enough for what he needs. Unless they are the refurbished they are selling then I would try and press for replacements as they don't sound fit for purpose. I agree with the pp IW have great bargains but when they go wrong they are dire to deal with. I don't think I would be happy having to have a brand new tablet repaired within a couple of weeks, but I don't know when you purchased them.

Hello,

Such a shame to read that you have had two relatively expensive items fail when they are new. I know they are not Apple but personally I think Apple are overpriced just because you are paying for the name. No offence to Apple fans is intended - if you can afford their price tag then good luck to you.

Were these the refurbished tablets that you have purchased? If they were, it is unlikely that you will be entitled to the manufacturer's warranty. Ideal World probably states this somewhere in their T&C's but it will be in the small print. Out of box items are often poorly guaranteed and they usually reserve the right to repair before issuing a refund. I am sorry that you are out of pocket for two tablets and have been disappointed but hope that you are able to get it sorted out soon.

Best wishes,

Inge x

cazzie i did not say because they were cheap they would not work but its the chance you take with cheaper tablets.

There is a local number for Ideal world on this forum somewhere ( need to look back at past threads) id give them a call and explain to them whats happened etc, people normally get a better response doing that. Good luck :)

There is a local number for Ideal world on this forum somewhere ( need to look back at past threads) id give them a call and explain to them whats happened etc, people normally get a better response doing that. Good luck :)

I've got this number which I bookmarked after reading a thread on here.

Monday to Friday, 9-5 UK Customer Services for IW is 01733 860534.

I've got this number which I bookmarked after reading a thread on here.

Monday to Friday, 9-5 UK Customer Services for IW is 01733 860534.

Thanks I knew someone would remember it x

I always email IW if I have a problem and they've always replied within 24 hours, it also give you a paper(less) trail if you need to refer back to what you or they have said. Your contract for the purchase of the tables is with IW NOT the manufacturer. Therefore you can reject the items under the Sale of Goods Act as being unfit for purpose: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nirel...hat_is_meant_by_goods_not_fit_for_purpose.htm Use the phrases in italics in your email.

The sale of goods act is a statutory protection which cannot be limited or avoided by a Ideal World's terms and conditions. Do not accept a repair! In your email tell them that you are entitled to a refund under the Sale of Goods Act and refuse their offer of a repair, and stick to your guns. I've had to do this with QVC in the past and they tend to back down if you appear to know what you're rights are or have taken legal advice. Even if the item were sold as refurbished it should work! You can insist on a refund if it doesn't.

I hope that helps and if they quibble in their reply email contact trading standards and show then your and their emails and ask for advice.

Furthermore if you paid by credit card, the CC company is jointly and severally liable for your purchase so ring them and ask their advice. Quite often CC company will refund if the retailer goes out of business or otherwise refuses the refund; you could mention that you are contacting the CC company in your email to IW. http://www.moneysupermarket.com/credit-cards/guide-to-credit-card-protection/

If you paid by Debit Card you also have protection but this isn't as widely known; also check with paypal if you used this method as you may be able to raise a chargeback case with them. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/4082599.stm and http://www.money.co.uk/article/1004510-is-debit-card-protection-the-same-as-for-credit-cards.htm

Sorry to have given you lots of reading but I can't understand why IW won't let you return the tablets under their extended Xmas MBG (unless you bought them long before Christmas) and argue for the postage to be refunded as the tablet is faulty. Also apologies if I've missed relevant details when reading back though the thread, I'm a bit brain-foggy this afternoon!

Thanks for that. I have now contacted them in the UK. Much easier to speak to but no news/ resolution yet.

Thank you for the time you have taken to help me resolve this matter. I have contacted the UK support line and returned the tablets with a letter demanding a refund as the goods are unfit. It would appear that IW prefer to talk about their terms and conditions and what they normally do than to discuss your actual rights under the sale of goods act but you have encouraged me to keep on their case until the issue is resolved to my satisfaction.
Regards

Billy

Thanks for the update and i'm so pleased this has been sorted (assuming the refund comes through quickly), no one wants to get stuck with a pig in a poke!

If the tablets were brand new and became faulty within a few days of opening the box you have a RIGHT to a refund, no questions asked, as Akimbo stated, Sale of Goods Act. It is only after a period of time (3 months I believe) that they have the right to offer you a repair or a replacement at their discretion. Any item has to be fit for purpose, even if IW sold them refurbished, and if the tablet refuses to turn on, or charge up, then that's hardly fit for purpose!
Companies like to shove waffle at you, local companies are famed for their "we do not offer refunds only credit notes" notices on their walls, however, this means nothing if an item is faulty, the law is on your side. Do not give up and o not accept a replacement. If you need any help there are loads of websites with letter templates I can get hold of for you to win this one :) Just let me know ok? Good Luck, but then you ont need luck, you have the law and the facts :)

UPDATE 11 days later. I have returned the tablets for a refund and Ideal World have advised me that they have sent the tablets to the manufacturer for a repair. I have told them that I did not want them repaired and they have no authority to interfere with my goods. I have demanded a refund in writing by email, by phone with the floor manager in Customer Services in the UK and by writing and despite this they advise me that all I am entitled to is a repair. I have explained that these tablets were for my children for Christmas and that it is likely that IW will not return the now unwanted tablets to me in Feb. This is a totally unacceptable situation. I have already bought replacement tablets in the High Street and do not want the repaired tablets returned. I don't expect that I will get to speak to anyone in Ideal World that can do anything other than quote from the company policy or who might listen to what I have to say. I am toying with the idea that I will not sign for the goods when they attempt to return them as I believe that my acceptance of the package might be viewed by them as an acceptance by me of their offer to repair the goods. I am not quire sure what would happen then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back