Has anyone checked out paulaschoice.com?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

sharonk

Registered Shopper
The site lists many many brands and gives a rating and states what ingredients do what to skin.
Quite a few of the QVC biggies are there but take a look at aldi Lycura ratings.

Hmm, call me a cynic, but just had a quick browse and just about every brand I looked up most of their products were rated poor. Yet Paula's choice brand gets top rating across the board! Biased?

I like the fact that it says what is in the products. I used to like the two pice philosophy microdermabrasion treatment when you had a balm and liquid which heated when mixed. Won't bother getting it again now I know what it is. Quite happy with the Kiels write up.
I thought it was interesting to look up the big brands and see what the write up says.

Lots of brands get good reviews too, it just depends what's in them. Paula slates brands that use loads of essential oils and plant extracts and that, like Liz Earle and Decleor. Paula's advice is mostly reliable, I trust her. Following her advice has drastically improved my very difficult skin. I really like a lot of her products too. Some not so much, there've been a few I've found underwhelming or just not liked the texture of, but the good ones are really good.

Has anyone used her range? I've checked out her beautypedia site before. I think some of it is true, I don't believe every review I read.

She does not do the testing herself but gets her minions to do it now. What they actually do is get the ingredients list and rate according to that, rather than actually testing. If they find an ingredient which may cause problems they rate it down.

She is always slating natural ingredients, Oh but wait now she has her own range with natural ingredients.

Great website :) , interesting that Philosophy and Clarisonic both test on animals :mysmilie_10:

One of her main gripes has always been that products in a jar or pot are useless as all the research shows that exposure to the air will cease to be effective when exposed to light and air. The most beneficial ingredients to skin are not stable and no matter how great the formula, it all begins to break down when you first open it.

She says this is common knowledge in the cosmetics industry and research has been done and guidelines issued by all the major consmetic organisations in the USA and Europe, and states that the reason some companies choose to ignore guidelines is just pure marketing - they know that women love jar packaging.

Would love AY to give her opinion on this - or the representatives from Gatineau, Decleor and Liz Earle

I came across Paulaschoice a few years ago. I thought it was an impartial review site to start with, until I realised how ridiculously ignorant and biased the advice was about natural ingredients and essential oils. Also, that every product seemed to fall short of Paula's own range. Clearly sales pitch!

It is made more authentic by giving some? A lot? A little? Factual and unbiased info to sweeten the pie.

Here in Europe, we have a deeper respect and longer tradition of natural ingredients - and a much better understanding of how to use them. It made me hoot with laughter to read comments like 'contains lavender essential oil - a skin irritant'.

Can lavender irritate? Of course! It is possible to have a reaction to ANY ingredient, including water.
Is lavender likely to irritate, in the concentrations used in skincare? Highly unlikely. If you get a reaction, it is more like from the preservatives used to keep the lavender fresh.

Most of the products that have, over the past 10 years, had the most benefit for my skin, are dismissed by Paula's web site, for being 'unproven', 'an irritant' or similar.

Your mileage may vary, but I think the site is nothing more than a badly disguised shop, criticising its competitors and promoting Paula's product range. A bit like the current political technique of assassinating the character of the opposition before trying to step into the power vacuum.

i used to buy all the high end skincare until my skin was just one big sore. i have naturally good skin but natural essential oils are not for everyone. in fact a lot of stuff made in a lab /and with petrochemicals are less likely to cause irritation. bog standard high street brands bulk sales are less likely to be made with lots of niche/expensive/ essential oils. i have a friend who cant wear sunscreen in any face cream it makes her itch.

i am now just glad that a bar of soap and a dab of alpha h rejuvinating cream is all i need for flawless skin. no lines, no odd pigmentation marks. smooth skin

Good point.
I am a little (cough) pro natural ingredients because my mother cannot put anything else on her skin. She gets red itching, flaking sore patches across about half her face. As I am getting older, I am heading the same way. :sad:

The reality is that different people have different bodies and different reactions... To all sorts of ingredients. However, I stand by my comment that Paulaschoice is biased and selective.

Latest posts

Back