elvis bracelet exact replica from original mould nothing like original

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

mipsy

Registered Shopper
James Russel just sold a 24ct gold plated elvis presely bracelet. He said it is an exact precise copy of the original elvis presley bracelet and was created from the same mould. The font used for the text looked like a plain modern day computer generated font so I did a search. the bracelet looked nothing like the original. This is the original (I don't have permission to show images so not sure this will work):

294o19e.jpg

http://tinypic.com/r/294o19e/5

this is what bid sold (39.99 or something close to that):

2ynldux.jpg

http://tinypic.com/r/2ynldux/5

Note: Both bracelets say elvis on one side and crazy on the other so you can see what I mean even though the images Ive provided show the different sides.

The images show that what bid sold was nothing like the original. Not just the text but the style as well. Are they allowed to sell this nonsense saying its an exact replica when it clearly is not?

They have pulled a similar stunt before on Elvis merchandise.
Selling so called gold discs and saying 'This is what you will see on the wall at the offices of RCA!'
In fact the garbage they were selling was any old LP from a car boot sale sprayed with gold paint with a compact disc glued in the middle.
A genuine gold disc has the real label of the record it recognizes properly applied at the factory.

James Russel just sold a 24ct gold plated elvis presely bracelet. He said it is an exact precise copy of the original elvis presley bracelet and was created from the same mould. The font used for the text looked like a plain modern day computer generated font so I did a search. the bracelet looked nothing like the original. This is the original (I don't have permission to show images so not sure this will work):

294o19e.jpg

2ynldux.jpg

Note: Both bracelets say elvis on one side and crazy on the other so you can see what I mean even though the images Ive provided show the different sides.

The images show that what bid sold was nothing like the original. Not just the text but the style as well. Are they allowed to sell this nonsense saying its an exact replica when it clearly is not?

I didn't answer your question in my previous post.
No-they are not allowed to make false claims.
If you make the complaint using the ASA website attaching the images Bid will have to justify the claim.
Should be very interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To make an ASA complaint I guess Id have to know exactly what James Russel said and for that I'd have to have recorded it. On the bid website it simply says it is a replica and maybe it can be argued that a replica need not be an exact replica. But James def made a big thing about it being an 'exact replica' and a 'precise copy' and 'made using the exact same mould' which is why I looked it up. I only watched him for 10 minutes and he was saying the same thing about the other elvis ripoff tat he was selling but then I switched it off.

To make an ASA complaint I guess Id have to know exactly what James Russel said and for that I'd have to have recorded it. On the bid website it simply says it is a replica and maybe it can be argued that a replica need not be an exact replica. But James def made a big thing about it being an 'exact replica' and a 'precise copy' and 'made using the exact same mould' which is why I looked it up. I only watched him for 10 minutes and he was saying the same thing about the other elvis ripoff tat he was selling but then I switched it off.

I've PM'd you Mipsy.

Just for the record, all you need for a complaint to the ASA (Advertising Standards Authority) are basic details such as which channel (Bid or Price-drop), the date and time the offence took place as well as the general nature of the offence (exact words not needed; the ASA will assess the accusation for themselves). Broadcasters have to record all of their output and keep it at least for a predetermined time period, handing over the relevant recording(s) to the ASA if someone makes a complaint (and there are big fines if they give the ASA or Ofcom the wrong recording or a falsified one). It's easy to complain online via their website and the ASA will send you a letter informing you of their decision.

I let things go a few times as I thought you had to record it and duplicate what was said but it's not the case. It's very easy, as has been said and all you need is the time and date it was aired.

I have Neil's shift recorded, all of it :mysmilie_59:

I'll be happy to provide details of what he said, I haven't watched it in detail myself as I only recorded it to see what £10 Credit items were on sale.

Personally I have no idea if it was missold as I know as much about Elvis Jewellery as Schlock knows about appropriate skin care regimes for 16 year old's. Oh, and stock levels :mysmilie_59:

I see that Wirral has sent the OP a PM which I am sure covers all bases. The bit about 'made from the original mould' sounds like a fairly typical gratuitous Russell falsehood and should most certainly be investigated.The ASA just need the time and date of the broadcast and will call for the recording.
This one should certainly be followed through as the images provided seem quite compelling.

I see that Wirral has sent the OP a PM which I am sure covers all bases. The bit about 'made from the original mould' sounds like a fairly typical gratuitous Russell falsehood and should most certainly be investigated.The ASA just need the time and date of the broadcast and will call for the recording.
This one should certainly be followed through as the images provided seem quite compelling.

I haven't watched it Aqua but i'll happily do so and provide details if Mipsy wants me to.

294o19e.jpg

2ynldux.jpg

Big Elvis fan (literally lol) to the rescue. now .. please dont judge but i always watch peter simon Elvis events as i love Elvis Presley. plus it cracks me up how wrong he always gets the information about him. most of the jewellery that bid sell is the Lowell Hays stuff. they say he was a great friend of Elvis but in fact he was just lucky enough to own the jewellery store closest to him and ended up making bucket loads of jewellery for Elvis and his friends and family. he is a clever chap though as he kept the moulds and now knocks out tons of the stuff from china (i think). i have seen the same range bid sell at expo's and memorabilia exhibitions (yes .. i know ... im sad). the bracelet i have seen attached to the story about the entourage is a tube bracelet not a flat bracelet like in your picture. to be fair there are score of different designs out there. some are authentic and lots arnt. to be honest i dont think i have ever seen the one in your picture., do you mind showing me where you got the image from? sorry - but i quite like it lol...

I thought these were the sort of lies the new owners would be clamping down on.

If james Russell did say these things, then he is deliberately mis-selling this product and should be punished for doing so. :mysmilie_51:

I thought these were the sort of lies the new owners would be clamping down on.

If james Russell did say these things, then he is deliberately mis-selling this product and should be punished for doing so. :mysmilie_51:

Problem is that he may escape on a technicality of some description. I've only made one ASA complaint relating to the watch-selling tactics of a serial offender, but the ASA rejected the complaint as just being normal sales patter, so it will depend on exactly what he said during the presentation. (Never mind the fact that viewers could have missed the first part hence not knowing what he had said previously.)

Problem is that he may escape on a technicality of some description. I've only made one ASA complaint relating to the watch-selling tactics of a serial offender, but the ASA rejected the complaint as just being normal sales patter, so it will depend on exactly what he said during the presentation. (Never mind the fact that viewers could have missed the first part hence not knowing what he had said previously.)

I think the fact Wirral hasn't published the details of the sale suggests JR didn't say ANY of those things OR the information was actually accurate either way it's made me chuckle at the irony. Some people on here think they are champions for truth and justice. Always demanding bid give honest and accurate information and when they fail to do so they should hold up their hands, apologise and admit it. I wonder if the posters on this thread will have the character to do the same?

Wirral hasn't posted any details of this sale because:-

1.Wirral hasn't seen it
2.Wirral knows absolutely bugger all about Elvis bracelets, nor does Wirral want to :mysmilie_14:

But if the person who watched the sale live would like me to provide details i'll happily do so otherwise it's absolutely none of Wirral's business, in fact Wirral would rather listen to Schlock drone on about his latest discovery 'ooh d'ya know I first came across this fragrance after I turned down the post of Artistic Director at Louis Vuitton' than watch an Elvis sale :mysmilie_59:

Some people on here think they are champions for truth and justice. Always demanding bid give honest and accurate information and when they fail to do so they should hold up their hands, apologise and admit it. I wonder if the posters on this thread will have the character to do the same?
Not so much nowadays - and I don't watch these channels *that* often - but in the past, some of the Sit-up presenters have sailed very close to the wind on product descriptions, often mentioning "pure gold" and "solid gold" when the item in question was either gold-plated or (even worse) just had a gold tone finish. If they mentioned gold plating (or similar) earlier in the presentation, the ASA adjudicator would/could judge the presentation as a whole to be compliant, neglecting the fact that if anyone had tuned in after the mention of gold plating and hadn't properly clocked the small print on the on-screen text (which could refer to a specific part such as a watch bezel) then they could potentially be misled by what the presenter had said. (And on-screen descriptions could themselves be wrong.)

The ASA have ruled in relation to presenters not verbally mentioning P&P when it was also shown on-screen so there is precedent for that sort of thing, and it doesn't take much for a presenter to inaccurately imply something that isn't actually the case.

Wirral hasn't posted any details of this sale because:-

1.Wirral hasn't seen it
2.Wirral knows absolutely bugger all about Elvis bracelets, nor does Wirral want to :mysmilie_14:

But if the person who watched the sale live would like me to provide details i'll happily do so otherwise it's absolutely none of Wirral's business, in fact Wirral would rather listen to Schlock drone on about his latest discovery 'ooh d'ya know I first came across this fragrance after I turned down the post of Artistic Director at Louis Vuitton' than watch an Elvis sale :mysmilie_59:

Really ???? A controversial sell involving a presenter you loath and hate? Apparent Evidence of a wrong doing?? The potential to complain to the ASA?? And all of it hinged on you watching back your recording of bid tv?? And your not interested?? You haven't bothered??

Oh Wirral I can hear the receptionist at the palace of Versailles shaking her head in disgust from here lol

I have a feeling they might not bring in so much Elvis stock next time, it's only been trickling out since the birthday weekend.

I think the fact Wirral hasn't published the details of the sale suggests JR didn't say ANY of those things OR the information was actually accurate either way it's made me chuckle at the irony. Some people on here think they are champions for truth and justice. Always demanding bid give honest and accurate information and when they fail to do so they should hold up their hands, apologise and admit it. I wonder if the posters on this thread will have the character to do the same?
Still waiting for you to apologise for accusing me of lying when I said Laurelle doesn't have offices at the Regent St address even after physically visiting the site to confirm it.
As I noted before you like to sneer and jeer from the side lines but you never actually provide evidence to support anything you post,

I have a feeling they might not bring in so much Elvis stock next time, it's only been trickling out since the birthday weekend.

I actually like the Elvis events. Although the memorabilia they have is quite average and expensive. There is much better stuff out there. THe collectors (I must admit I am one) are pretty picky and knowledgable about what they buy. They would do much better to change supplier and feature better items.

Latest posts

Back