What is table top dressing?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I would say its another Q nonsense to get us to buy more…. I assume she may mean wearing something eye-catching on your upper half if you are say out for dinner or somewhere else where you have a table in front of you? It could be getting dressed whilst standing on a table though……… who knows??

I think she may mean when you are sitting down at a table it is jewellery on your upper body which is on show, but thinking about it how much jewellery do you wear on your lower body so maybe not!

Reminds me of a sweet shop donkeys years ago where the wife dressed up to the nines above her waist and wore tatty skirts and slippers!

My hubby has a soft spot for Natasha Kaplinsky the news reader. He always says she never has a hair out of place, her makeup is perfect and that she wears such lovely smart jackets, earrings and jewellery. Now THAT is table top dressing because I then tell him underneath the desk she`s wearing tatty old smelly slippers, a pair of her hubby`s old socks and baggy faded paint splattered jogging bottoms. I do so love to spoil his illusion of female perfection ....
He also loves Nigella but her recent court case has knocked her off no 1 spot !

Duh ! I thought it was 'dressing' your table (for dinner ?)

Now I know, perhaps I'm out of fashion with my "footlocker dressing" - I've worn an ankle bracelet for years !!!!

My hubby has a soft spot for Natasha Kaplinsky the news reader. He always says she never has a hair out of place, her makeup is perfect and that she wears such lovely smart jackets, earrings and jewellery. Now THAT is table top dressing because I then tell him underneath the desk she`s wearing tatty old smelly slippers, a pair of her hubby`s old socks and baggy faded paint splattered jogging bottoms. I do so love to spoil his illusion of female perfection ....
He also loves Nigella but her recent court case has knocked her off no 1 spot !

It's ok Vienna I am sure she wears T shirt and tracky bottoms with no make up when she is behind closed doors. The public persona is just window dressing.

Duh ! I thought it was 'dressing' your table (for dinner ?)

That is what I thought, like people who sprinkle odds and sods all over the table cloth. We once went somewhere for dinner and the host had put tiny little wrapped boxes at each table setting. Hubby of course went to open his and the host said you can't open them they are just for decoration, WTF, why bother then ?

The nonsense spouted to increase sales is quite humorous, makes me smile when the old 'red carpet' season is discussed. As if QVC shoppers are buying for their jaunts down the old red carpet, lol. How often would that happen? Another old favourite is convincing the buyer of the usefulness of wearing outfits suitable for going from the office straight out for drinks. Maybe in QVC this is a common occurrence but in the real world how many of us work in offices doing regular hours allowing for that? I know when I finish work, often after 10pm, I just want to get home into my jammies.

I know friends who worked in London often went from their desks to the pub before catching the train home - so a bit of a different culture in the metropolis.

All my working life in Stevenage it was straight from the desk to peeling spuds at the sink with my coat still on !!!! so that was my take on desk to dinner, obviously not the glam lifestyle that Q are on about !

Yes I used to do this all the time but we never, ever referred to table top dressing! I think "I am just going to tart myself up a bit" was more the phrase! Like a previous poster I thought the phrase referred to the table top being dressed like they bang on and on and on about at Christmas, :mysmilie_14:

I know friends who worked in London often went from their desks to the pub before catching the train home - so a bit of a different culture in the metropolis.

All my working life in Stevenage it was straight from the desk to peeling spuds at the sink with my coat still on !!!! so that was my take on desk to dinner, obviously not the glam lifestyle that Q are on about !

Me too! But at least we don't have to take the bling bit of the earnings, the glittery shrug, the higher heels , the small clutch bag etc all to work with us to do that little change to take us from desk to dinner/club. I take a lot of clothes to work with me but that is usually jackets and different cardies to cope with temperature changes which is not so glam.

Latest posts

Back