Bid Vax deal of the day - not a bargain

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ibaisaic

Registered Shopper
Hello,

Noticed this Vax dual v carpet washer on Bid this evening at £174.99 plus £7.99 p&p.
It's currently £141.99 from Amazon delivered, but Bid are quoting a few websites where it
is considerably more. It is a good machine, so watch the demos on bid and buy from Amazon if you want one.

lol, you literally beat me to it re: posting about this. as you can see from my post count i'm rarely on here however i do channel hop onto the shopping channels inbetween other progs and have for years ... although i've never bought from any of them truth be told.

my reason for logging on was to post as you have. they want practically £185 all in however a quick squint on google throws up numerous suppliers selling it more cheaply, some considerably so as you point out e.g. amazon, asda online etc etc.

if the names of folk buying on these channels are real ... does it not enter their heads to 'do a quick google' before they buy?!? no disrespect but more fool them.

lol, you literally beat me to it re: posting about this. as you can see from my post count i'm rarely on here however i do channel hop onto the shopping channels inbetween other progs and have for years ... although i've never bought from any of them truth be told.

my reason for logging on was to post as you have. they want practically £185 all in however a quick squint on google throws up numerous suppliers selling it more cheaply, some considerably so as you point out e.g. amazon, asda online etc etc.

if the names of folk buying on these channels are real ... does it not enter their heads to 'do a quick google' before they buy?!? no disrespect but more fool them.

There are still millions of households in the UK who have no internet, and many of Bid's buyers seem to be older people who live in remoter parts of the UK (quite a number in Northern Scotland, if the on-screen ticker is correct). At least they had a 'name' brand on DOTD ...I've also seen Tefal and Hunter wellies featured in the past few days. They need a lot more of this.

i have this vax carpet washer the best household item i have ever bought. i purchased it as used on amazon and all that was used was there was old sticky tape on it covered with new, the machine and accessories were all factory fresh.

I have to give them some credit in the sense that they've offered a few decent products of late among the quagmire of complete crap.

It's just a shame they are invariably well overpriced.

I have to give them some credit in the sense that they've offered a few decent products of late among the quagmire of complete crap.

It's just a shame they are invariably well overpriced.

The sat nav I've seen them sell recently is probably outdated (and only has maps of UK/Ireland compared to the whole of Europe for many sat navs), but it's still cheaper than anything I saw in Currys the other day. You could still probably buy it cheaper elsewhere, but if they offered genuinely quick delivery for a slightly cheaper P&P price then it would be a step in the right direction.

The sat nav I've seen them sell recently is probably outdated (and only has maps of UK/Ireland compared to the whole of Europe for many sat navs), but it's still cheaper than anything I saw in Currys the other day. You could still probably buy it cheaper elsewhere, but if they offered genuinely quick delivery for a slightly cheaper P&P price then it would be a step in the right direction.

That's the trouble when Bid have branded items, you just don't know how 'current' the items are.

Take the Elizabeth Grant products for example, I dread to think how long ago they were manufactured as they are in packaging with logos that haven't been used for a long time.

i take on board it's good to see branded items and that the onus is on the shopper to be happy with the price they are paying e.g. the vax sells for £145-£300+ depending on where you look ... however i still feel they have a bit of a cheek constantly banging on about giving great bargains when quite often they simply don't. there's also no denying some branded stuff is either end of line or has been out for a while. when did the v cleaner launch, '08-'10? take it back if the one shown is an updated model.

Unlike some forums we don't mind if it is your first post or the ten thousand post, your opinion counts just the same, I think you make some great points so hope to hear more from you soon :)

PJ.

Yeah i/we might not reply to everything in the bid forum but i definately read it and take it onboard.

Some comments are so onpoint that there isn't much that can be added

very well said PJ and mr tom
cheeky chappie makes some good, valid points and, like you guys, I might not always respond but I do read them and take them on board
keep watching, reading and posting cheeky chappie, all views welcome here (as long as they're reasoned, polite and not personal or offensive!) :mysmilie_17:

Shock Horror! Company sells product that is available either slightly cheaper or dearer elsewhere depending where you go and consumers exercise free will and buy from the retailer that isn't the cheapest. Let's all orchestrate an anonymous hate campaign against the evil channel and it's sales people after consumers have actively tuned in and sought out it's content and voluntarily parted with their own money without any duress, and pretend that we hate the presenters and the output despite secretly loving it and spending hours of our own time watching it and commenting on it on online forums.

Last edited:
Shock Horror! Company sells product that is available either slightly cheaper or dearer elsewhere depending where you go and consumers exercise free will and buy from the retailer that isn't the cheapest. Let's all orchestrate an anonymous hate campaign against the evil channel and it's sales people after consumers have actively tuned in and sought out it's content and voluntarily parted with their own money without any duress, and pretend that we hate the presenters and the output despite secretly loving it and spending hours of our own time watching it and commenting on it on online forums.

If one of their main selling points of the item was that they listed other places/retailers that it was more expensive with... then whats the problem with us listing places/retailers where its much cheaper? its the same thing :mysmilie_59: An item should be sold on its own merit without the sales team scouring the internet to find where its sold more expensively, imo its a bit shoddy really.

If one of their main selling points of the item was that they listed other places/retailers that it was more expensive with... then whats the problem with us listing places/retailers where its much cheaper? its the same thing :mysmilie_59: An item should be sold on its own merit without the sales team scouring the internet to find where its sold more expensively, imo its a bit shoddy really.

And well known, established and supposedly reputable retailers don't engage in highly selective price comparisons?

I have a comparison, it's based around reality and fantasy.

I owe the Bank £40000
I decide to pay back £400 instead
I get made Bankrupt

The End.

And well known, established and supposedly reputable retailers don't engage in highly selective price comparisons?

I have never seen another established & supposedly reputable "discount channel" engage in price comparisons, perhaps you could point one out that does exactly what you say?

I have seen other retail outlets both online & off that engage in price comparisons and I have also seen various forums that pertain to said retail markets where people discuss if the deal is good or not just like they do on here.

I think its wrong to classify a discount channel in the same regard as catalogues and supermarkets.

Last edited:
I think its wrong to classify a discount channel in the same regard as catalogues and supermarkets.

Why? As for price comparisons, I'm willing to bet that there are lots of products available on Amazon that are cheaper on Ebay and vice versa, and also that retail outlet A sells the same product a lot cheaper than retail outlet B but doesn't tell it's customers to shop at the other shop instead. I bought a coffee machine from John Lewis before Xmas for about 400 quid less than it would've cost me at Amazon but I don't think any the worse of Amazon.

Last edited:
I have a comparison, it's based around reality and fantasy.

I owe the Bank £40000
I decide to pay back £400 instead
I get made Bankrupt

The End.

I wonder how you'll fill your days if that happens? :mysmilie_12:

I wonder how you'll fill your days if that happens? :mysmilie_12:

Good question! Perhaps we'll all have to poke fun at Ideal World instead, but that's boring by comparison and there's very little to poke fun at over there. However I would rather have no Bid and Price-drop than something that continues to rip off unsuspecting buyers as well as selling very little that people actually want to buy (as is currently the case).

Having said that, there's no theoretical reason why there can't be an entertaining shopping channel that somehow makes a profit, like Bid and Price-drop were as recently as 2008 or even later (I think)? Of course they won't be the cheapest place to buy but if it's entertaining to watch with great on-screen personalities, customer service, quick delivery and gives viewers the chance to buy exclusive products then it might just work.

Latest posts

Back