Bath salts - how much???!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

alter ego

Registered Shopper
I caught this afternoon's show with the bag of Himalayan salts. £35! And how much per use?! I'm clearly not QVC's target audience as I couldn't allow myself to pay that much for a bag of pretty pink salt to dump in my bath in one sitting.

I caught that they smell nice as they have added essential oils, but come on! I make my own with coarse sea salt - place some in a Lock & Lock container, add a few drops of whatever oil I fancy and leave a few days. Voila - a tub of heavenly smelling salts for a fraction of the cost. I also do the same with bicarb if I have a bladder infection.

Oddly enough, I have a globe-trotting friend who has brought me salt back from loads of places like Peru, Israel and the Himalayas - no idea why, but now it seems like a bit of a joke. I've used them in cooking and home-made beauty products, but can see no real difference between the different salts and good old sea salt tbh.

I don't know whether to be in awe of the lady's marketing skills or her gall.

Yes the price is downright ridiculous for what is commonly available and just as good quality at a fraction of the price. Anybody falling for the hype and the spiel needs their bumps feeling. I buy shampoo and shower gel from a site who make their own bath salts for various moods or functions such as detoxing etc. I bet they`re just as good if not better !
http://www.naturallythinking.com/search.php?search_query=bath+salts&x=0&y=0

I was shocked when the guest said you could use a whole packet in the bath for a full "celebrity home spa experience "and she even quoted Helena Bonham Carter as a fan of the product. I can't comment on the product as I treat myself to Neals yard lavender bath salts every few months they last for ages and smell devine. Although I will try making my own( thanks for the tip)

If the skin, the largest organ of the body will absorb too much salt topically in this way this is certainly something I won't be trying in a hurry. What you put on the skin ends up in the blood stream like everything else.

If the skin, the largest organ of the body will absorb too much salt topically in this way this is certainly something I won't be trying in a hurry. What you put on the skin ends up in the blood stream like everything else.

Sorry but I'm not sure about this - people who live near the sea and swim everyday arent putting themselves at any risk surely. The skin is the body's waterproof layer and must stop the body being saturated with salt!!

Sorry but I'm not sure about this - people who live near the sea and swim everyday arent putting themselves at any risk surely. The skin is the body's waterproof layer and must stop the body being saturated with salt!!

Perhaps it depends on the molecule size working on osmosis. However absorption through the skin into the body is the basis of topical skin ointments like betnovate and hydrocortisone. Same reason topically applied pain relief creams should not be taken with those taken orally. I'm no scientist and I only paddle in the sea but I would not put a whole pack in the bath.

The Dead Sea has the highest content of salt in water anywhere. Thousands go to soak every year for health reasons.

Salt will actually desiccate in other words take the moisture out of the skin(look at King Tut), you eat too much you will be very thirsty.

The human skin is mostly waterproof, otherwise you would sink in the bath and become waterlogged very quickly.

Who remembers the American guy who sold the Dead Sea Salts by the kilo it as only around £12?

Crikey I remember the days when all you could buy were bath salts or bath cubes and none of the females in our family caught any harm from using them. Salt scrubs and so on have been around for generations and many spas still do them. Salt which is left on the skin might be very drying hence salted meat and fish but I daresay people would only use bath crystals ( salt ) every now and again. In fact when I had my first baby and had stitches I was told to bathe in salt water everyday until the stitches healed.

Crikey I remember the days when all you could buy were bath salts or bath cubes and none of the females in our family caught any harm from using them. Salt scrubs and so on have been around for generations and many spas still do them. Salt which is left on the skin might be very drying hence salted meat and fish but I daresay people would only use bath crystals ( salt ) every now and again. In fact when I had my first baby and had stitches I was told to bathe in salt water everyday until the stitches healed.

I use bath salts, and the Elemis salt scrub too and used bath cubes as a youngster. I just wouldn't tip a whole bag in.

I use bath salts, and the Elemis salt scrub too and used bath cubes as a youngster. I just wouldn't tip a whole bag in.
Nope me neither. But at over 30 quid a bag she`s going to tell people to tip a bucketful let alone a bag full in lol

Yes the price is downright ridiculous for what is commonly available and just as good quality at a fraction of the price. Anybody falling for the hype and the spiel needs their bumps feeling. I buy shampoo and shower gel from a site who make their own bath salts for various moods or functions such as detoxing etc. I bet they`re just as good if not better !
http://www.naturallythinking.com/search.php?search_query=bath+salts&x=0&y=0

Thanks for the link, I have now discovered Carshalton lavender! We live 5 minutes from Carshalton and never knew there were 3 acres of lavender fields in South London! Good prices too.

Thanks for the link, I have now discovered Carshalton lavender! We live 5 minutes from Carshalton and never knew there were 3 acres of lavender fields in South London! Good prices too.

You`re welcome. I love the Carshalton products from this site and have tried most of them. I also buy the lavender floral water which I use as a skin freshener. It`s also great for minor skin blemishes, insect bites and stings.

When I did my shoulder in last year falling off bike a friend bought me a box of Radox bath salts as I was in constant pain and muscle spasms. In the morning I would have a hot bath with Radox and the pain would reduce for several hours. The salts were great. They also had eucalyptus in. You can sometimes find them in the pound shops. Very good but not worth £35.

I wonder why not buy a kilo of cooking salt from Asda for 25p and put that in the bath? It's just sodium chloride innit?

Latest posts

Back