Mis-matching patterns

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
I cant thread a needle, let alone sew, BUT I do love to watch the British Sewing Bee.

Interestingly the judges are sticklers for insisting that printed patterns match up on the seams - reasonable enough request.

Kim & Co certainly wouldn't get to the next round on this show !!!! Looking in close up detail, none of her patterns match up, although I've never noticed too much before. Ok I know its costs money and bolts of fabric cant be wasted because of these 'silly' little details, but how better the clothes would look instead of resembling mismatched wallpaper !

(I do love her maxi frocks though)

I cant thread a needle, let alone sew, BUT I do love to watch the British Sewing Bee.

Interestingly the judges are sticklers for insisting that printed patterns match up on the seams - reasonable enough request.

Kim & Co certainly wouldn't get to the next round on this show !!!! Looking in close up detail, none of her patterns match up, although I've never noticed too much before. Ok I know its costs money and bolts of fabric cant be wasted because of these 'silly' little details, but how better the clothes would look instead of resembling mismatched wallpaper !

(I do love her maxi frocks though)

There was me thinking that I was the only one whose eyes are drawn like a magnet to mismatched patterns ! I wouldn't wear a garment that was made with seams askew like some I've seen on QVC, Nina Leonard dresses are often mismatched, especially noticeable on one of the orange mix zigzag patterns he does. Maybe it's partly because I used to do a lot of dressmaking and a few years back did a City and Guilds course at collage, but I think it would matter to most people for seams to match properly.
The main reason it's done is to save fabric, but with the prices Q charge it's not good enough in my opinion.
Oh and I'm enjoying the Sewing Bee program too, it might even encourage me to get my sewing machine out again and give it a good oiling ready for some summer sewing!

I can`t sew for toffee but my Mother either sewed, knitted or crocheted everything and my sister used to do masses of sewing, knitting and crocheting too. Being around people who were constantly making things made me aware of what is and what isn`t good practise and same as other people it infuriates me to see corners cut, in more ways than one and especially at the price they charge.

Oh and I'm enjoying the Sewing Bee program too, it might even encourage me to get my sewing machine out again and give it a good oiling ready for some summer sewing!

I'm enjoying it too but I think I would draw the line at making legging like they did this week!

BTW did anyone hear Patrick use a term with an alternative (rude) meaning this week?

I love that programme too! Mind you if given the 90 minute task I would still be looking for material and reading the pattern by the end!

Ha! missy Kimmy &co was droning on about the technical expertise used in the manufacture of her frocks today..... It's basic sewing to match your pattern as you cut even a basic sewing pattern has instructions to shows you how. What kind of rubbish is she peddling if the pattern is all over the place. How awful and disrespectful to the customer to expect them to pay for and wear sub standard clothing. I myself wouldn't wear it I'd feel like aclown. Not good enough, QVC. no wonder she has to waffle on about the technical quality of the stuff, her voice is so hypnotic that customers are brain washed by it regardless. What a shameless person.

It is very expensive to match patterns but if it is not economically viable then they should avoid patterns where mismatching is obvious.

I love the SB as well even it is only to drool over the Devine Patrick. Much fairer than Paul Hollywood IMO ever if those eyes are georgeous.

I also love the SB programme, and hope it continues after this series. We all had to make dresses at age 12 and woe betide us if the pattern didn't match. It was excellent training for life, learning that if something is worth making, it must be well done with no corners cut (pun not intended, sorry). And I agree about Patrick!

Ah well thats the little differences you pay for when you buy real designer not mass produced clothes. Don't get me wrong the high street and internet is full off great designs but if you want to pay less costs have to be cut so you can't expect pattern matching, lining, invisible zippers, double hems etc.

I bought a kimono type blouse from DP a good while back and it wasn't cheap. I'd tried it on in the shop and had a quick look in the mirror (front view only). Got the ****** thing home, took the label off and was horrified halfway through an evening out to be told by my friend that it looked like I was wearing a second. I took it of and looked at the back and was disgusted to see a totally unnecessary seam right up the back with not only a mis-matched pattern, but the pattern on one side was side on to the rest of the material. I took it back to the shop and the stroppy assistant told me she wouldn't allow a return as I'd taken the label off, then pointed out that they were all like that. I looked and she was right!

Hideous. It looked SO wrong! I vowed then never to shop there again and I haven't.

I've never even heard of the sewing bee before, think I'll check it out. I always wanted to be able to sew, knit and the like, a lot of my mum's older relatives were really good at it all but mum and I are hopeless. I'd love to make my own clothes and stuff but I've got two left...thumbs?
Mismatched patterns would drive me berserk, they're very distracting to look at. I don't really wear patterned clothes anyway though, I'm more comfortable in plain. The odd simple print finds its way into my wardrobe, stuff that's mainly black with a bit of something on it, rather than 19 colours all over.

the unnecessary seam up the back drives me mad too, it's another way to save money. I can understand the likes of Primark doing this but QVC prices are many times higher.

QVC's profit margins on these garments must be astronomical - the fabric from China will be dirt cheap, labour in a Bangladeshi sweatshop will be pence. The cutting will be computerised so surely they could afford enough fabric to ensure patterns match.

It's like hanging patterned wallpaper, you measure the size of the repeat pattern and cut the paper accordingly.

We are told Kim's clothes are made in Montreal, not Bangladesh so maybe we should all expect better for the price. Many of her dresses are over £60.

CC

I think for the amount of money charged they should match patterns.

I love Sewing Bee too and am determined to learn to sew this year. Not sure if I am allowed to post this but I have recently attended a workshop by Lauren Guthrie (first season of SB) at her wonderful shop and studio. Check it out if you are interested:
http://www.guthrie-ghani.co.uk/

Apologies if shouldn't have posted this.

I think for the amount of money charged they should match patterns.

I love Sewing Bee too and am determined to learn to sew this year. Not sure if I am allowed to post this but I have recently attended a workshop by Lauren Guthrie (first season of SB) at her wonderful shop and studio. Check it out if you are interested:
http://www.guthrie-ghani.co.uk/

Apologies if shouldn't have posted this.
I really liked her on the Sewing Bee. What did you do on the workshop out of interest?

I really liked her on the Sewing Bee. What did you do on the workshop out of interest?
I did a beginners sewing course and made a lovely string of bunting. Already booked up for a cushion cover course. Really fab shop and studio. And only 8 people per class.

I did a beginners sewing course and made a lovely string of bunting. Already booked up for a cushion cover course. Really fab shop and studio. And only 8 people per class.

Sounds lovely but alas it's too far from where I am. I can sew a bit but nowhere near like the people on the sewing bee.