Price drop now gone , now "Best of Bid"

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Quite sad about this, the end of an ERA, shopping TV is no longer entertaining.....just glorified informercials of overpriced tat......boring boring boring

Well, that was a surprise.
Flicked over to Price Drop just now, and saw Simon Davis' introduction.

I was thinking it was a new segment, but then he went on saying it's a whole new channel.

Seems like their broadcasting hours are cut too, if that's the case, he said it'd be from 6pm onwards.

There wasn't any announcement on this, was there?

Is Best of Bid just recorded segments? I take its not live.

I think it's live. During Davis' introduction, it sounded like someone knocked something down.
That or they couldn't be arsed re-recording.

The boom demo has the trademark Sit-Up "waiting awkwardly for the camera to move into the right place" too; I would assume they would have bothered to edit it better if they had the opportunity.

It is live today, but lets be honest, if this is all they are going to do whats the point , it may just as well be a pre recorded VT

It's been pretty clear that their sales were often desperately low and even more so in the evening. They regularly didn't even shift £1k of stock, hour after hour.

I suppose it didn't add up having so many quick fire sales but perhaps they can plod on with their regular daytime live broadcasts, for now anyway.

I've been recording both bid & price-drop complete output for the last week just in case 1 or both go and sad to see price drop is dead and so is my name :(

and so the morphing of bid and pricedrop into IDEAL WORLD continues, the new owners certainly know what they like.......surely the whole point of bid and pricedrop is they were, for better or for worse , different !!

It is live today, but lets be honest, if this is all they are going to do whats the point , it may just as well be a pre recorded VT

I suspect that's exactly what they'll do when these live sales are recorded and in the can.

Best of Bid on-screen text reads "PRICE DROP from 7.45 BEST OF BID from 18.00", so Price-drop may not have died just yet but I can't see it surviving even if Sit-up survive their creditors' meeting next Tuesday.

Also interesting that Best of Bid has a different telephone number despite using the same method of buying, and the number ends in 2000 just like the old Bid TV number (perhaps this number isn't used for Shop at Bid just incase it confused people?) - my guess is that they're using two different numbers so that they can track from which channel a particular order is coming from.

price drop/best of bid

Been thinking about this not for long granted but how wrong is it that in the day you have price drop with the rip off phone call costs then come the evening you have best of bid with the new lower cost no why not use the best of bid no all the time? Any way to get your money sit up's unofficial slogan

I wonder if price-drop will continue after spring clearance? I have enjoyed price-drop as of late with out the clocks, the format reminds me of the good old days before clocks and all.

What I can't understand is, if as it would appear, they are trying to sanitize their image why keep the 2 Peters? One is clearly past it and the other will be forever identified as the one the BBC used as an example of what a rip off the channel is.

As its been very quiet tonight, I was wondering in a purely nostalgic sort of a way, if we will ever see the likes of Mike Mason giving us his bass speaker and paper test ever again? Another particular favorite of mine was the quite extraordinary explanation of exactly what steam is!! Will those days ever return? Naaah hope not.:mysmilie_843:

What I can't understand is, if as it would appear, they are trying to sanitize their image why keep the 2 Peters? One is clearly past it and the other will be forever identified as the one the BBC used as an example of what a rip off the channel is.

I completely agree with the above statement. Both have no place on a shopping channel with they way they behave on screen, if the company are serious about making changes then the presenters are as important as the merchandise they are selling.

Poor Schlock is getting bombarded with comments about the changes on his FB page and he's biting back!

Peter Howard Sherlock Yes you're all making it rather clear. Really pleasant to read on a Sunday morning

Latest posts

Back