Postage - is rhe Q having a laugh?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
Whilst we all consider the Q to be less than accommodating re shipping costs they are, fundamentally, about right. One example is some easiyo I ordered and the postage was £5.95. I took advantage of my mbg, and returned half of them. To return it second class, it cost me approx £5.60. Yankee is another where we may consider the postage to be high but, realistically, the candles are heavy, so I think £5.95 is probably less than it would cost. But a miele washing machine, priced at £799.20, has a postage charge of £50.00! Who in their right mind would pay such an exorbitant amount to have it delivered? Delivery should be free.
You are patronising them when you give them your business, and they stick two fingers up at you, by charging you half a ton, and taking us all for idiots!

Well at least for UK you pay 5.95 pounds for Easyo, but to post to me in Spain they charge over 21 pounds so I can't buy it. There was one pack of natural ones (8) that cost 14 pounds +/- but the postage was 7 pounds, half the cost of the yog. I buy from Holland and Barrett as they have capped postage.But its true the p+p is ridiculous as they charge the same for light weighted ítems like jewellery or a tiny eye brow mascara as a set of face creams or shower gels. I certainly don't buy half as much as I used to as the p+p has risen so much and so many other sites deliver free and far quicker

Well they can't pop a washing machine in the post, can they? Proportionally they are charging about 10x the charge for delivering a candle - yet the item is a lot more heavy. I doubt whether the Royal Mail would also connect up a washing machine and demonstrate it for you, either! The charge seems quite reasonable to me.

I think the charge for the Washing Machine is quite reasonable considering it also includes them taking your old machine away with them as well.

I've no idea what would happen if you didn't like it and wanted your old machine back though!

If you're returning something to QVC shop around (on the web) as Royal Mail is expensive for medium parcels upwards. You can send up to 2kg via Collect Plus for £4.89 and Hermes will collect your parcel from your home (or work) address for £3.95 for parcels up to 15kg.

Given their economies of scale, QVC's bulk shipping costs will earn them substantial discounts from Royal Mail/TNT, DX and Hermes so they won't pay anywhere near the cost you'd be charged at the post office for sending the same package.

I think it is a bit high as JLP would charge about £35 for disposal and connection, but then the price may not compare...... JLP do free delivery to most places I think, but may be wrong there as only check for deliveries here.

No white goods retailer will save your old machine in case you change your mind. Buying a washing machine or an eye brow pencil everyone should just factor in the P&P quoted when comparing prices with other outlets.

I wonder whether QVC are covering themselves with quite high delivery charges for white goods because customers find it so easy to phone for a return whereas it might not occur to buyers from an electrical chain to "change their mind" and return a washer dryer without facing a certain amount of quibbling.

I suppose they could factor in the delivery cost with the price of the machine but they prefer to do it separately. Don't forget you're buying a washing machine in which you can wash a daffodil and it will remain intact!

On principle, if a retailer asks for postage, I don't buy. I usually get it dropped. I think when you're spending the kind of money any miele product costs, delivery ought to be included. Russell Bristow is on with a dishwasher right now, £949.14 and £50.00 postage - normally;with this item, however, it is delivered free of charge. So the Q can do it - when they want to. Which makes the issue even more annoying. The powers that be just chose not to on the washing machine. Mind, you are spending just shy of £800, as opposed to £950.:mysmilie_19:

On principle, if a retailer asks for postage, I don't buy. I usually get it dropped. I think when you're spending the kind of money any miele product costs, delivery ought to be included. Russell Bristow is on with a dishwasher right now, £949.14 and £50.00 postage - normally;with this item, however, it is delivered free of charge. So the Q can do it - when they want to. Which makes the issue even more annoying. The powers that be just chose not to on the washing machine. Mind, you are spending just shy of £800, as opposed to £950.:mysmilie_19:

I take your point Louise when it is a smallish everyday item like a bag, a dress or cosmetics. But imagine a warehouse full of Miele washing machines (whether they come direct from manufacturer or not). In their hundreds and thousands. As has been said you can't just pop it in the post so it takes a courier company, with the logistical capability to move the items, take the old ones away and connect your new one. They have to pay staff, maintain a fleet of lorries and pay for fuel and insurance costs. Sorry but that costs a lot of money and the company wants a profit too. Q won't pay for this so to expect this service without paying for it is a pipe dream. £45-£50 sounds about right for white goods.

The same washing machine Miele W3164 is £724 at Appliances online with free delivery and £9.99 to remove your old machine as opposed to Q charging £799 plus £50 delivery. AO will also fit your new machine for £9.99 too. When I ordered my new washing machine from AO (not a Miele btw) they rang me to ask would I give customer feedback about their site, asked me a few questions about how easy was thei website, how did I find delivery times etc and then said as a thank you for taking part in their customer survey they would waver the cost of removing my old machine and also the cost of fitting the new one. Hence it cost me nothing but the price of the washing machine to have it delivered, fitted and the old one removed. Q can`t compete and its only the EP`s which would tempt people into buying the machine from them.

The same washing machine Miele W3164 is £724 at Appliances online with free delivery and £9.99 to remove your old machine as opposed to Q charging £799 plus £50 delivery. AO will also fit your new machine for £9.99 too. When I ordered my new washing machine from AO (not a Miele btw) they rang me to ask would I give customer feedback about their site, asked me a few questions about how easy was thei website, how did I find delivery times etc and then said as a thank you for taking part in their customer survey they would waver the cost of removing my old machine and also the cost of fitting the new one. Hence it cost me nothing but the price of the washing machine to have it delivered, fitted and the old one removed. Q can`t compete and its only the EP`s which would tempt people into buying the machine from them.

Now that does sound like a better deal than the one on QVC. I have a Bosch washing machine! Hope it lasts as I can't afford to replace it!

Another thing, that annoys me about it is they don't expect you to spend money out of your own pocket to send an item back if the item is heavy. I got some of the Jackie Kennedy sun glasses, that cost almost 50 quid, I wouldn't usually spend so much on them but they looked really strong and well made on the TV. When I got them the package was heavy so I was expecting a good item but found out that the case they came in was what was making the package heavy, the shades inside were very cheap looking and light weight. I can honestly say the ones I got off my local market for less that a fiver, are much nicer. I think qvc are counting on the heavy case for customers not to send them back because of the p & p charges. Needless to say I sent them back. That was weeks ago now and they still claim not to have got them back, even though I sent them recorded delivery, so still waiting for my refund.

Latest posts

Back