I can''t believe the "joke" Nina Leonard just made

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

CLBA

Registered Shopper
I am still in shock- when launching the TSV- Jilly was saying something about the amount of flying he must do - and he said "yeah- i'm a pilot baby!- i flew the missing plane!"

I just can't believe he could be so callous and insensitive to make a "joke" about the fact that all those people are missing - i really think it is too much- they should apologise

:mysmilie_10:

It's live TV - he's probably jet lagged as well - maybe give him a break?

I'm sure he meant no offence.

I'm sure those with relatives on the missing plane aren't spending their time watching him flogging frocks on QVC UK.

That may indeed be so but that doesn't make it appropriate to joke about such an incident, and doesn't present him or his products in a professional light.

I saw it and thought it was a little insensitive , similar to when Flint said about the flood victims buying slimming pants to cheer themselves up. Neither of them incidents. an aplogy was made , yet when Susannah said "******" on air , Marverine was forced to apologise , seems like double standards to me.

I saw it and thought it was a little insensitive , similar to when Flint said about the flood victims buying slimming pants to cheer themselves up. Neither of them incidents. an aplogy was made , yet when Susannah said "******" on air , Marverine was forced to apologise , seems like double standards to me.

l think it's that swear words are exactly defined - we all know which the ''bad" words are, and the broadcasting standards arc clear as to what may and may not be said on tv at different times of day. Break those rules and you're obliged to apologise or you can be fined or worse. Jokes, on the other hand, are a matter of personal taste, and this thread shows how much taste varies. Personally, like you, l think it was a bit insensitive, but it doesn't shock me and l don't think it merits an apology. The professional comics are already breaching the taste wall with missing plane jokes.

lenny is a bit tongue in cheek I don't think he means any harm. its just his style of humour. he does make me cringe sometimes hes harmless though

An ignorant, crass, insensitive remark trying to get a cheap laugh at someone's expense. QVC should apologise, just as they are forced to do on other channels.

I am not a big fan of Lenny but imho it was a foot in mouth remark. He's a complete nightmare and never seem to put his brain in gear.....

well- its interesting to get everyones views on it- i see what you mean Scout about it only being certain words that are strictly no nos.
I still think it was in very poor taste though. I don't usually watch his shows- just happened to be on in the background- obviously this hasn't given me a very good impression of him.
anyway- ave a good day all, C x

Completely insensitive comment for him to make. I bet he'd never have dreamt of making a similar type of comment on QVC US in relation to the World Trade Centre, so why he thinks this is acceptable is beyond me.

After seeing his shows in recent weeks I am not surprised that he could say such a thing. He comes across as loud and barely coherent . What a shame he was so insensitive, but to put things in perspective, he's an odd little man flogging frocks not a politician who has some influence on important things. Hopefully none of the people affected by the disappearance of the plane were affected by his stupid comment.

It was insensitive and I am sure no offence was intended. However that is one of the situations where an apology is appropriate and which would adequately deal with it. It doesn't have to be heard by the families of those missing. Many people are offended by such insensitivity, including those who have been bereaved by previous air disasters. We can all be capable of saying something inappropriate and insensitive without meaning offence. The worst offence would be the failure to apologise once you realised the significance of what we had said.

Lenny is a loose cannon with an even looser mouth. On every show he does or says something which some people could or would find offensive. He obviously doesn`t think as he talks and the blurb just pours out of his mouth. Half the time I doubt he even knows what he`s saying. Q obviously make money out of him so I daresay those in the gallery might cringe but how do you stop an idiot in full flow ? They`re hardly likely to take him off screen and it isn`t long ago since they told us he was ill, when in reality it looked as if he was drunk and creating havoc. If you work with fools then they act like fools and Lenny is a fool, albeit a rich one !

It was insensitive and I am sure no offence was intended. However that is one of the situations where an apology is appropriate

So how many people have to be offended to merit an apology? l'm not offended, and neither are several people here, so there must proportionately be millions watching who weren't offended either. And do they apologise for insensitive as well as offensive remarks, because they're not the same thing? As someone already said, this silly, one-time off the cuff remark is being blown out of proportion, but I'm sure if enough people complain to Q the molehill can be built into a mountain.

Last edited:
Bad taste or offensive?

I hereby double-dare someone to be a T caller :call: and ask the Miele brand shambassador to dispel any fears that their washer dryer wouldn't be mistaken as the sound of an intruder resulting in a fatal shooting!

:mysmilie_498:

A cheap shot from a man selling cheap tat. I don't watch him much because I think his clothes are ghastly, dated and made of material that would make your hair stand on end but when I do see some of his shows it's not comfortable. There are other weird and wonderful guests who are at least fun to watch but not Lenny.

Did DF really say that the flood victims should cheer themselves up with slimming pants? That is really the bitter end. Will that woman stop at nothing at all in her desperation?

It's the way society is going isn't it? All PC and taking offence of behalf of others...

In this case, let's get some perspective:

He rambles, he is unpredictable and over-excitable... he was probably tired and was just talking at speed and not engaging brain first. We've all done it BUT we won't have had the added pressure of people sitting at home critiquing our performance in minute detail.

I watched that launch and didn't even hear the remark.... give him a break - all he's doing is flogging clothes on a shopping channel, he's not negotiating peace on behalf of the UN or anything.

I honestly wasn't trying to be PC- or take offence on behalf of others- i just genuinely thought it was out of order - but if others didn't that's fair enough

Latest posts

Back