30 Day mbg - how could it be better

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

livelovelaugh

Registered Shopper
Hi everyone,
I have a question that I would like to ask you all avid and wonderful people - I think my story is similar to many - I took ages flicking over QVC, watching many demos and eventually took the plunge and purchased something (I think my first ever purchase was Ojon!). I loved the 30 day mbg - it was a big thing that gave me confidence in QVC and the brand I was buying.

I then placed a ridiculous number of orders in quick succession until about 2-3 years later when my spending dramatically tailed off and now I very rarely purchase from QVC, but do like the demos and do still occasionally pick something up here and there.

I am not sure if it is the products that have changed or that I am just fed up of things that do not really work or meet the great marketing.

But, I would now like to ask your opinions? How could the 30 day mbg be improved but still be a great way of making sure you get a real chance of trying a product or range?

Part of the reason I am asking is because I have a new product I am launching - I want to offer a return policy because I think it is what gave me the reason to take the plunge with lots of new products at QVC but (hopefully) I think once people try my range they will like it and not abuse the guarantee too much! So, over to you - any ideas as well as general discussion about QVC is very very welcome,
Sam x

Hi and welcome.

I don't know what your product is therefore my view may not apply to you. I assume most of returns are of consumable items.

I would much rather have a sample (decent size) at a nominal price or price refunded if a full size purchased within a specified time.

I don't buy much beauty due to having sensitive skin, but the hassell and cost of sending back means I don't bother buying or if I do I just hold on to it and eventually bin it.

I do use Q to purchase expensive items I am not sure of (just bought the gtech) as there is nowhere else you can actually use the item and still return it. I know if and article is faulty you can return it anywhere but often it is just a matter of opinion as to whether or not a product lives up to your expectations.

Clothes are a nightmare due to sizing issues, I would say the return rate must be 75% for most people.

I think if description and graphics were truly accurate it would cut down returns dramatically. I think Q in common with most mail order companies depend on the lazy bones like myself who keep more than they really should, but then I only buy elsewhere if I am really really sure I want it whereas with Q a lot will be on impulse knowing I have the safety net of the MBG

Phew! Hope that made sense!

Hi,

I like free delivery after £25 or more but even better if all deliveries are free!

Inge

You might be able to answer your own question best - what do you like least about QVC's MBG and how could it best be adapted to help sell your product? As for general discussion, take a look at the threads here - they're full of it!

I see no reason why things like clothes shoes bags etc have to have 30 day returns unless faulty like the high street. I think you shoul know if it suits straight away after fitting on etc without the need to wear and wash etc before returning. I for one would prefer capped p&p costs for total order and no 30 day return policy.

Free postage would be nice, but good luck with your new venture!

Everyone, thank-you all so much for your responses - and very very helpful ideas and suggestions.

I have created a skincare range and I think it is important that someone gets to try it before they commit to it - tbh, part of the interest came from the fact that I bought SO many products from QVC that when I kept coming across draws full of products I knew I would never use, it really annoyed me that I was stuck with it all and that I had missed the 30 day return.

I had originally thought of having a limitless guarantee but it's a bit difficult as it can create all sorts of issues to do with the card transaction...

I definitely do not want to do the "must have at least 50% of the product left" as I think is QVC's new policy? But, I am sort of thinking of offering free postage on all products but returns are at the purchaser's own expense - partly because as a new venture, I am just trying to avoid making the product itself too expense! I think the important thing to me is that people feel comfortable buying and then actually get to try and like the product. I'm not being arrogant (I hope) but I really think it is a bit of an unusual product - it's a bit like the emma hardie moringa balm but much more simplified and an oil as opposed to a balm (so I guess not too much like it!).

seriously, thank-you everyone - it really has helped. anyone interested in trying (just because you've been great) send me a pm, and I will get a bottle off to you when it eventually launches!

Thanks again all xxx

Well since it is a skincare range, then you really start with a Try Me kit launching before selling the rest of the range. Give people a chance to try before jumping for the big sizes. I think with a new range on QVC people are more likely to send back, unfortunately loads of people are led by the which celeb wears what and reviews from the mags etc.

As it has been found with many brands that launch on QVC how many have lasted? The Linda P thingy one disappeared pretty quickly, going back Twiggy is another. The QVC buying public love BIG sizes value for what they are paying. Hence Judith Williams most comments are I love it the pots are so big and its cheaper to buy. Oh and get someone on to front on QVC who can talk and keep going over the presenters. I do know someone who was considering launching a product on to QVC. Iit was not their own product but they had the full distribution rights in the UK, it already had a big buzz in the mags and with make up artists in the US, but after looking at the ins and outs it was too expensive and too much hassle. Hiring someone to appear on TV(you are far more likely to be successful with a professional used to talking on live TV, without the "you knows", etc repeated), working out how much QVC would get from units sold.

As for the money back guarantee, I doubt QVC will change it, they never have in the US and it is a massive market compared to the UK. You will never get free delivery(QVC make money from that one. I have always said it), or free returns postage. That is one reason so many don't or can't be bother returning. I have returned very very very little over the years, I only buy what I really want. Don't do fashion though I have a few coats bought must be over 7 or 8 years ago. Only if something broke(jewellery did it go back), skin care as I have roseaca I just do not even chance buying a new product without getting a sample to patch test.

Hi Donna, thanks for your post. I think I may have given the wrong impression - I have not got the range appearing on QVC - but I do like the idea of a mbg which I know QVC both use and then sometimes (as I've seen on here) sadly reproach people for using - I want to offer a mbg but do not want to make people feel bad about using it.

Love the idea of the sample sizes and will definitely be introducing it, but just getting bottles is exorbitant and so I can only offer full sizes to begin with (making the mbg so important also) in the hope that selling a few full size will then make the travel or sample size bottles then an option.

In the meantime, thank-you again x

I wish you good luck with your venture. It`s hard getting something out there and advertising, sample sizes, packaging etc are so expensive not to mention creating the product in the first place. I know someone who has tried to do a similar thing and hand created her own skin care range. She has her own facebook page, website and also sells on Ebay but as good as her products are ( and some such as her cleansing balm are excellent ) people tend to try her stuff then wander back to the big guns such as Elemis. It`s holding peoples interests in a product which is difficult to do. People will happily try something new, especially if it`s reasonably priced or in sample sizes but then the lure of the hype, posh packagng, tsv`s and sales promotions lure them back again. Not easy to become a regular name on a person`s dressing table or bathroom.

Hi Vienna,
You are so right, I know. I look at myself and how easily I would swap brands. I kind of became a bit of an ingredients nerd, and very slowly stopped buying different brands because I got fed up with the ingredients... I know you are so right though - getting known is going to be a struggle but then holding interest will be yet another challenge! It will be particularly difficult as the range is very premium - it is an effective range and is genuinely multi-tasking, so the cleanser leaves the skin as hydrated as necessary to make a "moisturiser" no longer essential - but the price will be a potential obstacle. It's a bit of a conundrum, I must say!!!

I would also like to add that as I have an allergy to a certain ingredient that goes into a lot of body products, having the ingredient listing on a website is very important to me, so I don't waste money sending an item back if I find it contains what I am allergic to. This also helps the seller as a returned item costs them money too. I would also agree with free delivery if you can afford it. I wish you well with your venture livelovelaugh.

I would think it is nigh impossible to launch an new range just on the web without giving free samples and even then I am doubtful.

I dont think there are many who would take the chance on a range they can neither see nor try, especially if it is a premium priced item, even if there was a 30 DMBG.

No matter how good the product is it needs to get out to the public and when you consider the money spent by the big companies on launching new products I feel you may have an uphill struggle on your hands.

I hope I am wrong and wish you the best

I wish you good luck with your venture. It`s hard getting something out there and advertising, sample sizes, packaging etc are so expensive not to mention creating the product in the first place. I know someone who has tried to do a similar thing and hand created her own skin care range. She has her own facebook page, website and also sells on Ebay but as good as her products are ( and some such as her cleansing balm are excellent ) people tend to try her stuff then wander back to the big guns such as Elemis. It`s holding peoples interests in a product which is difficult to do. People will happily try something new, especially if it`s reasonably priced or in sample sizes but then the lure of the hype, posh packagng, tsv`s and sales promotions lure them back again. Not easy to become a regular name on a person`s dressing table or bathroom.

I know this brand and it is brilliant. I tried the cleansing balm very impressed, but I have a stockpile of cleansers I need to use but(which will take a long time), before I could consider buying again. This range is freshly made and short shelf life of I believe 6 months( I did ask as the time of buying). I have four pots of Elemis PCMC to use as well as two night creams, then Marks and Spencer day and night creams.

What about trying a home & away set as i have seen on QVC. By that i mean a full size product along with a small travel one. I would imagine people would try the small size first and if they have to return then you can resale the large size and if they don't return you have made a good sale??

Thank you to everyone again for your amazing responses and ideas.

Anna- absolutely brilliant and excellent advice - I feel the same way, and want to make the ingredients very visible. I will definitely make sure the ingredients are fully and clearly listed.

Donna - about being in talks with QVC - I wish!!!! Maybe one day!

Loveallthingsitalian - I do know what you are saying, but I am hoping I will be able to somehow get past these challenges... I have a few ideas to try to overcome them if necessary, but I think time will tell just how well it goes. Your words have not fallen on deaf ears, though.

Nikkid - yes, that is exactly what will happen, but just after the first round of the first full size bottles. I plan to have three 15ml bottles so they can be the perfect travel/gym companion - it will happen as soon as possible!

Again, one and all, thank-you x

Keep us up to date with your endeavours and best wishes for your future. As Del Boy (not Flinty) would say "this time next year you will be a millionaire". Let's hope we are looking at a new Liz Earl who will remember her old mates on a lowly forum lol

Hey Sam good luck with the new venture. How brave and enterprising. One thing I would say that helps me to decide to buy something new is reading a range of customer reviews.i understand this can be a minefield for companies as there are strict laws governing how reviews are collated and published they can be misused by the competition and even minor mistakes and things beyond your control can be problematic. Also I find info videos on retailers websites and utube very helpful to see if iam using the product correctly. A MBG indicates a producers/ retailers faith in the product as you are gambling that the majority of customers are happy repeat buyers. Got my fingers crossed for you:mysmilie_59:

Latest posts

Back