Make up sponges help please.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

loveallthingsitalian

Registered Shopper
I don't wear a lot of make up due to having very sensitive skin so am not very well up on technics etc but I know from reading the forum that beauty is avidly discussed and everyone seems so knowledgeable so I hope this question doesn't seem silly.

I never seem to be able to get a decent make up sponge. I like the sponge to be big as I don't seem to be able to work well with those small wedges you can buy in packs. Years ago I used one from a Laura Geller set until it fell apart, then quite big ones from Superdrug but now they only do a smaller version.

What would you suggest and what are the down sides to the latex ones? tIA

I've just ordered this sponge from M&S, which is an imitation of the beauty blender sponge . Will be doing a comparison on my blog soon!

I like my Beauty Blender (pink eggy-shaped sponge) so I'd be interested in trying the M&S version. I found because you use the Beauty Blender damp it absorbs less (and wastes less) product. I've even used it to apply bare minerals foundation and Laura Geller's balance & brighten and they apply well even with a damp sponge. Those little triangular sponge wedges are ok, if a little small. I find they start to disintegrate quite quickly.

I have been using Beauty Blenders since 2008, and would not even dream of using a copy cat one. I read reviews of people who do and then go back to the BB as nothing beats it. I get a good 6-9 months out of one BB, I use the special wash each time to cleanse(I use the same cleanser for washing my make up brushes). The secret to these type of sponges is to wet really well then ring out as much as possible. Then just bounce on the skin, I put the foundation on the back on my hand and pick up with the sponge from there.

If anyone is interested justbeautydirect is doing 20% off and free shipping on all orders for March(I have always bought my BB from them, bought a pack of two with the deal as back ups).

Reading reviews the nearest people think to the real BB is the Real Techniques orange one.

Thank you all so much I think I will give it a try, the double option with cleaner seems best value if you know it works for you.

Let us know how you get on ILS. I have used BBs since they first came out (as usual I initially had to get them from the good old US of A, but they're worth it) and found they last forever with careful handling. But I did buy several Sonia Kashuk ones when they were £1 in the SpaceNK sale (couldn't help myself - I emptied the display box!), and love them. They seem to be a slightly denser material than the BBs and have lasted even longer. The M&S one looks exactly like the SK one (except SK's was turquoise).

You'll need to experiment with techniques and using it wet or dry (I use it dry with minerals).

ETA: Knock-offs also available here http://www.love-makeup.co.uk/makeup-blending-sponge-p-4990.html

Latest posts

Back