But I thought Mally was the one...??

• Thread starter Deleted member 3549
  • Start date
ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

D

Deleted member 3549

Guest Shopper
I had a little chuckle at this as I always love when they make Mally sound as though she never stops doing celebrity's make up. Remember its always she works on Beyoncé, celine dion..... (But we've never seen her personally do anything more than put lip gloss on lips already with lip gloss and mascara on eyes with it already on....

http://intothegloss.com/2014/03/beyonce-no-makeup-makeup-look/

Clearly this is beyonce's preferred artist

Reminds me of the patter they used to spiel for Charlie lapson as the preferred Hollywood handbag designer. He literally has one picture of a star (often z list) holding one of his bags once and that was it. Funny folk like Eva Longoria who he used to always push are never seen with his stuff now- it's always hermes etc....

I wouldn't think there are many take notice of the AY hype anymore, I switch off as soon as she starts name dropping...I don't give a monkeys who Mally put lip gloss on, or who's hair Richard Ward did etc etc. I just want to hear about the product and what it contains.....

Realistically, there are many, many, makeup artists, and many, many stars needing makeup.

If I was a star, and my favourite makeup artist was busy, I would book someone else. Heck, I would probably have a list of 10! Especially when bookings might be 6 months in advance. If that makeup artist was un available a few times (due to runing their own business and appearing on shopping telly), then they would soon drop to the bottom of the list!

So most makeup artists who do the circuit can claim a whole list of stars they have worked on. I don't see it as an issue. Do the products work on my skin? If yes, then the rest is just irrelevant.

Incidentally, I remember one Mally show when Catherine Huntley mentioned a particular star by name, and Mally was horrified, shushing her and virtually begging Catherine to shut up. They were talking about under-eye circles at the time. Bit embarrassing, really. What major star wants it publicised that they have terrible dark circles. You would think that the presenters would know to show a bit more discretion.

Last edited:
I get sick of hearing about all the celebs names been used to flog products. Even if they do use the products (which they probably don't) that doesn't impress me one bit.

What many companies do is, send free products to the celebs. Then they say oh so and so uses our products. Remember when Kate got married, every perfume company sent her bottles and many put that out well she is going to wear X,Y or Z when she walks down the aisle. It wasn't until the actual day people knew, but it increased sales and the sad individuals rushed out to buy in the hope she would wear whatever on the day and they could sitting watching on TV wearing the same. No idea why????

I couldn't give a rat's ass who used what, I want to know what the product is suppose to do and how to use it. Mally has never appealed to me, I do watch the odd bit of shows as people do like products but I just don't get it. Same with Laura Geller watched and never bought just does not appeal to me. But then I am not a fan of baked products, well Chanel blushers are different as you know the colour you buy each time will be the same. Even Laura Mercier who also does a baked range never liked the look of those products. Stick with the normal ones from her range.

I am never impressed with celeb claims either. I expect Mally uses her own range on her clients (which Beyonce is probably one, whether or not she uses other make up artists too which she probably does) and the celebs will get freebies and use whatever brands they like in their own homes.

I always did find Mally annoying and for a while would switch off. However when I first joined this forum I was tempted by many complimentary posts on here to try the range and have never looked back. I am not saying every product has wowed me but the mascara, eyeshadow sticks, eyeshadows, liners, blushers and lip glosses have impressed me. Also repeat purchase the ultimate performance foundation.

You should try a range before saying it's not for you, surely? Mally's range does not suit everyone but I have found that the colours may seem very bright on screen are actually very flattering to wear and only need to be applied lightly. Alison Young, when I commented to her at the Beauty Bash that the models and presenters always look so much better when Mally is on-I assume wearing her range-and AY said that Mally is the most talented make up artist because of how much she knows about colour. A colour you think you could never wear actually looks amazing on. This was my experience of the products too. I do have good skin (luckily) and I cannot see how the foundations I like would be good for everyone especially if coverage is what you need.

Sorry but for me Mally just looks boring.

I don't do black mascara(brown/bronze or burgundy),do not do lip gloss I am a lipstick wearer. Foundation I prefer to get a proper shade I know will match instead of the random on QVC if you are this colouring wear this shade. But then I go high end(many don't and are happy), as the lower end brands the texture, pigment not good. Laura Mericer has done the eyeshadow sticks for a long time and I love her's. I used to love Smashbox, but then Estee Lauder bought the brand and the quality went down big time.

At the minute loving Eve Lom new foundation, primer and concealer. I was colour matched and given loads of samples to try before I decided to buy. Horses for courses everyone is different which is good, boring if we all loved and wore the same things. I like some brands but then get bored with them. I am first in the queue for the new shades out each season. Like to see in real life and then know whether they will work for me or not. Really wanted the new Nars eyeshadow duo but then found the Lame shade was too glittery for me. So that Lemming died. Now loving the new Givenchy Ombre Couture cream eyeshadows and want the gorgeous deep peach shade. People are going mad for the Tarte range at the moment, but looking and reading about it not grabbing me.

Oooh I must pop into SpaceNK in Chichester soon to try the Eve Lom cosmetic range Donna, thanks for the reminder! I was at a low ebb last week and found myself ordering a few Tarte items but I will have to be very impressed to keep any make up items these days; I quite liked one of the Mally liquid foundations and another from Laura Geller but when it comes to replacing them I can buy a Dior foundation for far less money (and the counter staff will try to schmooze me with samples of other products!) so I'd rather look at beauty counters with an idea of how much I'd be prepared to spend on a foundation or a blush and if a QVC product can't offer anything better then back it goes!

I`ve gone full circle with my product buying. When I was younger and had 3 kids to feed, raise and educate ( many moons ago now ), it was a case of buying budget beauty brands plus there were nowhere near as many items on the market. Then as I reached my 40`s I was buying expensive makes and always on the look out for anything new. The girls in my local Debenhams knew me by name lol. Now I`m just touching 60 I`ve realised ageing happens come what may and less is more when it comes to applying my makeup. Even with a magnifying mirror I struggle to get eye liner right so have given up on it and the only good thing about failing eye sight is my wrinkles look blurred lol so it`s a quick once over with a mineral powder, a slick of a Mally eye stick which are very forgiving for an unprecise hand and a touch of mascara and lippy. Nowadays I buy stuff for ease of application and at a price I don`t feel guilty paying when I have to bin it because it doesn`t get used up before it expires. L`Oreal or Max Factor lippies, Mally eye sticks, Lily lolo foundation and either Mally or Boots mascara. No blushers, highlighters, bronzers, eye liners etc etc. Plain and simple and Q would go to the wall if they relied on what I spend on makeup with them.

It absolutely depends on skin dryness levels and tone. I was an absolute beauty junkie for many years, had Guerlain eyeshadows (les Mosais) and bronzer, Mac concealer and foundation, Bobbi Brown everything (pre Estee), Dior, Clinique, Estee Lauder, Smashbox and various others. Textures were not so good for me, durability not so good. When I tried Mally I was pleasantly surprised. I have stopped using Mally foundation now as I have found an Avon one (ideal flawless in shell) that is brilliant with my Mally primer underneath and face defender on top. I have my favourite Chanel one for best but if the Mally Ultimate Performance foundation was in a TSV it would be a definite yes from me.

Even pre-Estee I was disappointed with Bobbi brown. Made my healthy skin look flat and was boring for me. Mally stuff gives a glow without shimmer so the texture must be right for my skin

BE stuff also used to look very nice on me (pre pressing!) I just got sick of the faff to apply it.

must confess I want to try Laura Mercier (mum liked the eyeshadow I bought her). Will pop in tp Space NK when I am next in Bath.

These days I buy quality make up but less of it.
When I was much younger I'd wear as much make up as would fit on my face, I'm talking the 70s and 80s here. I had a young face and could get away with it, in fact it looked great. These days less is more, too much looks awful.
I wear Dior compact powder foundation, it's not dry looking though and skims over the skin in a very flattering way.
I've recently been trying samples of cheaper skincare brands, not having much luck though as nothing I've tried feels nice on.
I can't bear the smell of any of the Nivea creams so have avoided that like the plague. What things smell like is important to me.

I use the same Avon foundation as Weathergirl and it is great and often on offer, i think my last bottle was £6. I think QVC prices have crept up so much over the last few years, i will only buy good value kits these days and single items are out of the question due to the silly prices.

Boots No7 are famous for price increases by not just a few pounds either. Anytime a new packaging comes up goes the prices. A friend uses their tinted moisturiser and not only do they make the tube smaller they up the price a few times a year. She just stopped buying in the end and moved to higher end brand as there was not much difference in pricing now.

These days I buy quality make up but less of it.
When I was much younger I'd wear as much make up as would fit on my face, I'm talking the 70s and 80s here. I had a young face and could get away with it, in fact it looked great. These days less is more, too much looks awful.
I wear Dior compact powder foundation, it's not dry looking though and skims over the skin in a very flattering way.
I've recently been trying samples of cheaper skincare brands, not having much luck though as nothing I've tried feels nice on.
I can't bear the smell of any of the Nivea creams so have avoided that like the plague. What things smell like is important to me.

Oh I can`t stand anything Nivea either and it brings me out in a rash at 40 paces. It`s always smelled very greasy.

Weather girl - they also sell Laura Mercier at Space NK Bristol, queens rd, Clifton & in Harvey Nichols, Cabot Circus, Bristol as well as Bath.

I love the ultimate performance foundation as well and the shade fair is a brilliant match which is awesome. Wouldn't want to pay £30 & p&p though .. as you say if in tsv definitely which is what mine came in originally. I too want to try the ideal flawless from Avon.. but the shades are so pink & I need neutral/yellow under toned foundations! Is the shade shell equivalent to the mally in fair? I would love to know! :) Thanks!

I avoided buying Avon Foundation for years because I never used to know what shade to buy. My friend is the Avon Lady and I asked for samples from Shell up to several shades darker. I wasn't expecting Shell to suit me as I assumed too pale or too pink. It does have a little pink but not too much there is enough yellow. If you wear fair it may be ok but possibly a little dark. It may help you to know that my equivalent shades are:

Mally ultimate performance liquid -Light
Mally ultimate performance professional solid pallet- Medium (light is way too pale)
Chanel Vitalumiere -Clair
Avon Ideal flawless- shell
Bare Minerals original-light.

if you wear the Fair in Mally I would ask Avon for samples of Porcelain or Shell if you can or check that the 90 day money back will apply if you order both when they are half price and try them. It's a brilliant quality foundation, lovely finish and with primer and face defender lasts all day. Like Miss Molly I paid £6 for mine. It's even in the same bottle as Chanel Vitalumiere although it has a slightly thicker consistency. Hope this helps.

I avoided buying Avon Foundation for years because I never used to know what shade to buy. My friend is the Avon Lady and I asked for samples from Shell up to several shades darker. I wasn't expecting Shell to suit me as I assumed too pale or too pink. It does have a little pink but not too much there is enough yellow. If you wear fair it may be ok but possibly a little dark. It may help you to know that my equivalent shades are:

Mally ultimate performance liquid -Light
Mally ultimate performance professional solid pallet- Medium (light is way too pale)
Chanel Vitalumiere -Clair
Avon Ideal flawless- shell
Bare Minerals original-light.

if you wear the Fair in Mally I would ask Avon for samples of Porcelain or Shell if you can or check that the 90 day money back will apply if you order both when they are half price and try them. It's a brilliant quality foundation, lovely finish and with primer and face defender lasts all day. Like Miss Molly I paid £6 for mine. It's even in the same bottle as Chanel Vitalumiere although it has a slightly thicker consistency. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much that is helpful! Going on your foundation shades I think the shell would be a bit dark for me. I wear fairly light in bare minerals.

If you`re struggling to find an Avon shade or any other shade from the internet then this tool might help. You enter the makes and colours of foundations you already use then it will match those shades with other brands,. Avon is one of the brands it will match for you. It might help you.
http://findation.com/

Latest posts

Back