Pies anyone ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

logfire

Registered Shopper
Has anyone tried the Simple Simon pies ? Would you recommend 'em ? Am I out of touch with the price of a good pie ? Do I need to get/eat out more ?

We got the cheese and onion ones on a frivolous whim about a year ago.
They were amazing.
Seriously, cannot praise them enough.

Unfortunately, there comes a line where no matter how good a thing is, I can't bring myself to pay so much. Those pies come in above that line.

We haven't ordered again, although we still reminisce occasionally... Lol

They look very tasty but they are silly prices I wouldn't say no if they were bought for me. Who'd've thought an all day breakfast in a pastry case could look so appealing?
Why was the usualy lovely Pipa so shouty and aggressive on this afternoon's show?it doesn't suit her to be so loud.

We got the cheese and onion ones on a frivolous whim about a year ago.
They were amazing.
Seriously, cannot praise them enough.

Unfortunately, there comes a line where no matter how good a thing is, I can't bring myself to pay so much. Those pies come in above that line.

We haven't ordered again, although we still reminisce occasionally... Lol

Ha Ha Ha. That's cheered me up this morning.

They look very tasty but they are silly prices I wouldn't say no if they were bought for me. Who'd've thought an all day breakfast in a pastry case could look so appealing?
Why was the usualy lovely Pipa so shouty and aggressive on this afternoon's show?it doesn't suit her to be so loud.
I think they're all trained to be shouty and aggressive these days, and if they aren't shouty and aggressive enough, even more "training" will sort that out...

Shouty, aggressive, in-yer-face, have-your-say-even-if-it-means-being-rude-to-guests - it's all part of the package. They don't have to do it, but they've chosen the job, so they're fair game for criticism in my book.

What wrong with good old Greggs.

They're probably filled with the sinewy old flesh of Romanian nags from the knacker's yard! I really dislike Greggs and their fatty old pasties! Yuck!

The best pies are to be had from Planet Organic, London.

There were 2 pie shops in Brighton - Mr Daly's (a truly awful place run by an eccentric purveyor of pies) and Pie Society (which was actually really good). Shame they are both gone.

Here's an idea for you all. Bake your OWN pies! Shortcrust pastry is easy to make. Even I can do it. You could get some organic beef from Asda for about £5. Stew it with a handful of barley and some delicious vegetable (I like onions, green beans, carrots and parsnips), blind bake your pie cases then add filling and lids and bake a little more. There you have it. Your own pies at a fraction of the cost. You could even batch bake and freeze them. Just imagine how much your guests will appreciate a pie you cooked yourself! No worries about the provenance of the ingredients. You could even add a dash of ale / red wine / herbs / spices. Serve each pie alongside a mountain of mash (preferably made with red potatoes such as Desirée), a knob of butter, a grind of black pepper and gravy. You could probably make 10 pies for £10.

Watched yesterday's show with my neighbour who is in her 80s and would NEVER buy a ready meal. She was appalled by the prices but more so by the shouting. When the show was over she commented how lady like the young female guest was in contrast to Pipa. She said she felt shed been beaten up by the end of the show... I know what she meant. It was an audio onslaught.
Why the hell do I watch this stuff?

I didn't realise Pippa was shouting but that could be because I don't have the sound on !! I could smell those pies though . :mysmilie_15::mysmilie_17: Oops sorry ..... Pipa !

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back