Calico Cottage fudge mixes

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

AndiK

Registered Shopper
I bought a Calico Cottage fudge, fudge pie and cookie mixes pack last year at a "try me" price, I think, and thought it was great, especially the fudge, so was thinking I might look to get some more but it's not that readily available. QVC have this pack of 9 x 400g fudge mixes at the moment and I wonder if you think it's good value at £19.67 + £5.95 p&p. Do any of you buy it from QVC (or anywhere else) and know how this compares?

http://www.qvcuk.com/Calico-Cottage-Make-Your-Own-9-Fudge-Mixes-Variety-Pack.product.802561.html?sc=SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-1-_-802561

Any comments on value and contents welcome. Also, am I right in thinking QVC only feature CC in shows once or twice a year? I haven't seen it on air since I bought the pack last year.

I've only bought it from QVC, but checking out the Calico cottage website, it seems they want you to buy in order to sell on the fudge in a business way. Perhaps selling 'home' packs to qvc customers is one way of getting potential clients to test out their product who then may want to start their own cottage industry.

That's my theory anyway, or QVC would give it regular air time like Thorntons.

I agree though, its tasty stuff, and I see there is a good variety pack on offer now which I'm tempted with, and has never been done before. The product has quite a long shelf life, so if you like it that much, you could bulk buy !

Thanks, Brissles. Yes, I saw that on the CC website - I was trying to find prices but they don't publish them, just try to reel you in to buy the stuff in, make it up and sell it on. I am sure when it was on air last year, they said it's the stuff you often get at village fairs and in stately home giftshops where it's been packaged up prettily in branded bags. You could be right about bringing it to QVC occasionally for people to sample with this in mind. Either that or they can't negotiate good enough deals with them very often.

I would be interested to hear what others think about the price but it doesn't seem bad at about £2.85 a pack, and each one does make quite a few squares. I might do as you say, buy 2-3 packs and save on P&P. However, if I were thinking about making money out of fudge-making, it would need to be a lot cheaper because you wouldn't make a great profit at this price.

If you like really good fudge (and I do!) you'll know that you'd be very hard pressed to find made up fudge in that quantity for anything less than a tenner a pack, so it is good value.

Thanks. I am talking myself into it ... or rather you are! I have only tried a couple of flavours up to now so interested to see what the others in the pack are like.

I know, but in moderation anything is fine as a treat. I like treats!
Exactly! And I don't think any of us was recommending it as an everyday, regular nutritious foodstuff!
On the 'up' side, Calico isn't full of the nasties and preservatives that some brands would have. It last ages, too, and so there is no hurry to eat it. As an occasional, special treat it's great.
A little of what you fancy and all that. And I never keep foodstuff that I can't resist in the house anyway.

Oh I have just had a look at this and having worked out just how much it costs to buy all of the ingredients for home made fudge, I couldn't make it for what they are charging so for once it really is good value.
Being in Cornwall there are fudge shops every where and you can pay up to £3.00 for 100 grams so this works out at good value for money if you want to sell it especially if you ordered 2 or 3 so saving on postage. All you would need to sell it are some cellophane bags and fancy labels.
A great idea if you already do craft fairs to add on to your stall, especially if you have a way of producing personalized labels.

Oh I have just had a look at this and having worked out just how much it costs to buy all of the ingredients for home made fudge, I couldn't make it for what they are charging so for once it really is good value.
Being in Cornwall there are fudge shops every where and you can pay up to £3.00 for 100 grams so this works out at good value for money if you want to sell it especially if you ordered 2 or 3 so saving on postage. All you would need to sell it are some cellophane bags and fancy labels.
A great idea if you already do craft fairs to add on to your stall, especially if you have a way of producing personalized labels.

I meant to say, don't forget you have to add 30g butter to the mixes so there's a little extra cost there. Should only be about 20p for this though, so it won't make a big difference to the perceived value.

Latest posts

Back